pixeltracker

'Cinderella' to perform in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

'Cinderella' to perform in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

matineeidol2013 Profile Photo
matineeidol2013
#1'Cinderella' to perform in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/8/12 at 2:49pm

Per a friend in the cast! Excited to see a little taste of this production.

I know there was a thread about the performances on the parade this year, but I cannot seem to find it. If this information has already been shared by someone else, I apologize!

I'll take the wind and soar.
Updated On: 11/8/12 at 02:49 PM

Rainbowhigh23
#2'Cinderella' to perform in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/8/12 at 3:58pm

That was my thread. A big argument regarding whether the acts were "in" the parade or "on" the parade took up most of the posts.

I am so happy for you and the cast of Cinderella!

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#2'Cinderella' to perform in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/8/12 at 4:22pm

I'm guessing we should hear a full cast announcement soon? As per the casting notice that went out a while back, rehearsals begin December 2nd though Sandy may have changed that..

nasty_khakis
#4'Cinderella' to perform in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/8/12 at 5:23pm

Not trying to sound snarky, but how can a show that doesn't open for 3-4 months perform? I understand they can get the cast together, learn and rehearse a number, and perform it whether it will stay in the show with that staging or not. But what about costumes? I doubt they would be finished by now. I figure we'll get Laura singing "In My Own Little Corner" or something with her and Santino.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#5'Cinderella' to perform in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/8/12 at 7:01pm

There's no big "up" number in the show that I can think of, other than maybe "The Prince Is Giving A Ball" or "Your Majesties," the two only ensemble songs. Neither are among the highlights.

Usually the parade shows numbers not to showcase the stars as much as to make the show seem a big bundle of fun. I haven't seen this new version or the allegedly improved tour version, but the original version, at least, is not a big bundle of fun, it's a small, gentle and earnest piece. Not parade fodder.

nasty_khakis
#6'Cinderella' to perform in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/8/12 at 7:05pm

I agree, darquegk. They could do a big number at the Ball. It's generally a lighter fare couple dance, but re-orchestrated and with new dance arrangements they could make it into a big number. Not saying they are or should, just could.

matineeidol2013 Profile Photo
matineeidol2013
#7'Cinderella' to perform in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/8/12 at 11:25pm

My friend is in the ensemble and says he is going to rehearse for the parade soon, so I assume its a big production number they'll perform.

I'll take the wind and soar.

JohnyBroadway
#8'Cinderella' to perform in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/8/12 at 11:29pm

I bet it will be, "A waltz for a ball" or "the prince is giving a ball"

AGermano
#9'Cinderella' to perform in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/8/12 at 11:49pm

@nasty_khakis Newsies performed last Thanksgiving Day Parade and they didn't start performances until March. I guess their run at Papermill can be considered something but at the time of the performance the leading role wasn't even announced to the public yet, because Jeremy Jordan was currently performing in Bonnie & Clyde at the time of the parade.
Cinderella has well-known music and the leads already cast so it can't be that difficult. Plus, the parade is in late November and they start early-mid January... if they don't have costumes in order a month in advance they have some bigger issues.

Updated On: 11/8/12 at 11:49 PM

nasty_khakis
#10'Cinderella' to perform in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/9/12 at 12:04am

That's my point, Newsies had performances. Sure, not on Broadway, but they didn't just create something for the parade.

I'm sure costumes are sorted out/designed/etc, but as someone who's seen this happen, costumes aren't often finished being BUILT until scarily close to first preview.

I'm not poo-pooing anything, I'm excited to see it and think it's smart marketing to drum up interest in a show opening in the dead winter months. I just think it seems like a lot of crazy logistics to work out. What's their connection with NBC that they were chosen over already up and running shows? Just find it interesting, that's all.

broadwayguy2
#11'Cinderella' to perform in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/9/12 at 2:29am

1. All Shook Up performed in costumes / ensembles that had ZERO tod o withw hat appeared on Broadway 5 months later. Even Cheyenne Jackson hair color changed.

2. We have seen show perform without actual costumes - the year of the strike.. Legally Blonde, for one, performed without costumes. The year Footloose opened, the cast performed in their street clothes in the rain. Not unheard of.

3. Not saying this applies, but shows and/or actors have often riden on floats and performed in the line up after arriving in Herald Sq.. MSG's A Christmas Carol, Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan and Christiane Noll doing "Getting To Know You" from King and I when the film was released come instantly to mind.

SamIAm2
#12'Cinderella' to perform in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/9/12 at 1:41pm

A couple of weeks ago I saw a tweet from Laura Osnes that said that she had just been to a costume fitting and that she was thrilled.

degrassifan
#13'Cinderella' to perform in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/9/12 at 4:52pm

Even though I know nothing about this production, I can probably guess that "Your Majesties" is not in the show because King Maximilian and Queen Constantina are not in the show. As for "The Prince is Giving a Ball," I'm not sure about this song either given that the prince's name is no longer Christopher, unless they changed the lyrics.

broadwayguy2
#14'Cinderella' to perform in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/9/12 at 8:03pm

"Topher" is a nickname for Christopher. Logical assumption is that the Prince remains "Christopher", but prefers to go by a nickname. In all royal duties, he would still be referred to as Christopher. For example, Prince William often goes by "Wils" among friends.

degrassifan
#15'Cinderella' to perform in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/9/12 at 9:58pm

Hahaha wowwwwwwwwwww I'm so dumb!! I never realized that till now! Hahaha. Thanks for pointing that out! Oh, goodness! Its been a long year...