pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 170

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

TazTarney Profile Photo
TazTarney
#4225Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/14 at 6:40pm

It has nice things to say but it sounds like more of a summary. It reminds me of Brantley's If/then review. Yes it's a nice positive review but it's not very enthusiastic.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#4226Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/14 at 6:45pm

@TazTarney, if it wasn't enthusiastic then why did Holden give this film a "NYT Critics Pick"? It's a sign of love if any.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#4227Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/14 at 6:46pm

He calls it "splendid," "witty," "touching," and makes it a Critic's Pick. What more do you want? A nice big "SPLOOSH" at the end of it? It's a rave or, at the very least, overwhelmingly positive.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

TazTarney Profile Photo
TazTarney
#4228Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/14 at 6:47pm

Yes it's certainly positive..

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#4229Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/14 at 8:24pm

I'm not sure how you read that NYTimes review and don't consider it a rave. He clearly loved it, calling Streep's performance a "tour de force," praising Pine and (more surprisingly) Johnny Depp, loving the way CGI is used, and most importantly, raving about Lapine's script (if you are familiar with film reviews of movie musicals, the script is usually the one element that gets most criticized). And on top of that, like others have said, it's a Critic's Pick. I thought I couldn't be more excited to see it...I was wrong.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4230Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/14 at 8:30pm

^ Exactly.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4231Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/14 at 8:30pm

. Updated On: 12/24/14 at 08:30 PM

indytallguy
#4232Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/14 at 8:41pm

On what planet is Holden's review "not enthusiastic"? He goes on ad nauseum with praise throughout. It's a complete rave.

Showface
#4233Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/14 at 8:54pm

An IndieWire review by Leonard Maltin has been published...it is VERY positive!!! Some quotes from it.

"Perhaps it’s the intimacy of film that helps put this across, but I actually like this version better than the play. "

"brilliantly executed presentation "

"exquisite"

On Corden and Blunt: "Their performances are especially engaging and, ultimately, quite moving."

"Into the Woods is a treat, one of the year’s best films."

http://blogs.indiewire.com/leonardmaltin/into-the-woodsmovie-review-20141224 Updated On: 12/24/14 at 08:54 PM

Showface
#4235Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/14 at 8:59pm

Double Post Updated On: 12/24/14 at 08:59 PM

Showface
#4236Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/14 at 8:59pm

Triple Post Updated On: 12/24/14 at 08:59 PM

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#4237Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/14 at 9:17pm

So far, so good. I really like Leonard Maltin, he's one of the last of the really good critics in his generation.

I'm really happy with the love INTO THE WOODS has been getting and a good amount of them say that Rob Marshall is "off the hook from NINE", so that's any reason to celebrate.

Thparkaly
#4238Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/14 at 9:33pm

Just got out from seeing it. I am happy beyond belief. The movie was wonderful and every little nitpick was greatly overshadowed by incredible moments. I am just happy that this film was made.
I guess this post doesn't say much but I felt the need to share my thoughts.

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#4239Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/14 at 10:33pm

Just got back from it also. I LOVED it. For some reason I couldn't help thinking how Patti LuPone would've made an awesome witch throughout it, though. Meryl was great, however. It sounded a little pop-ish? If that makes sense? But I am absolutely going to see it again. You can tell who were the devotees of this musical in the theater, too, it was great! Like Thparkaly said, I could nitpick, but overall I enjoyed it immensely.

Showface
#4240Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/14 at 10:50pm

Glad you enjoyed it! Can't wait to see it tomorrow.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#4241Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/14 at 10:56pm

Totally agree! Just got back, and loved every minute! Streep was amazing (IMHO) and Pine stood out to me as well! Theatre was packed, and huge applause at the end! Going to try to see it again this weekend.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#4242Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/14 at 11:12pm

Just finished seeing the film. As Mary Poppins would say, it was "Practically perfect in every way!" At the risk of sounding biased Chris Pine outdid himself as Prince Charming.... Agony got a rousing round of applause...everyone involved should be proud of this film. I teared up at the end...

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#4243Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/14 at 11:22pm

Totally agree ! Pine has the best lines in the script, and his delivery is perfect!!!

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#4244Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 12:50am

I just got back as well. All of the casting was fantastic - but I was bowled over by Blunt, as well as Pine. I thought the child actors were also fantastic. I was surprised by Blunt's singing voice (I had heard Pine sing before). Streep was Streep, and Deep was not distracting, which for me is a victory.

I must admit having little familiarity with the source material - though I do have the DVD from PBS but decided not to see it once the movie was announced.

It seemed to me pretty darn dark for a Disney film, with lots of elements that seemed "Sondheimian". I thought it was really well done, and I would like to see it again.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4245Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 1:09am

The Movie Man's six second review is positive. He's "in!" He's not very easy to please.

http://www.sixsecondreviews.com/index.php?page=home&movieID=874

Updated On: 12/25/14 at 01:09 AM

MagicalMusical Profile Photo
MagicalMusical
#4246Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 1:46am

The badly written review by Mark Dujsik didn't get that the characters sing "The woods are just trees. The trees are just wood" not to describe what the theatrical set is supposed to represent but because they are saying the woods are nothing to be scared of (even though, we later find out, they are). The lines are the characters trying to comfort themselves.

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#4247Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 2:29am

Just got back from seeing the film...so good. I absolutely loved it. I'm not so good at writing reviews so I'll just rattle off.

Emily Blunt is brilliant. MVP of the whole shebang to me. She really is a stunning actress and the role is so closely associated with Joanna Gleason but she really made such interesting and beautiful choices for the character. I just loved her.

Meryl Streep of course was excellent. She goes there, she goes for it. "Stay With Me" gave me such chills. Her greatest moment of many in the whole film.

Chris Pine is so sexy and funny. He turned in a great performance and the **** he pulled in "Agony" was just hilarious. His best screen performance to date.

Anna Kendrick was good. I liked her but she didn't make any real choices to me. I didn't get much of a sense of who Cinderella actually is as a person. I didn't realize how much of a character Kim Crosby built in her take on the role until I watched Anna.

I really liked Johnny Depp! I didn't expect him to be bad; I just didn't expect to care. His particular brand of whimsy really worked here though. And I liked the costume.

I thought James Corden was excellent. Beautiful, touching, and funny. I do believe that him not having "No More" in the film really cheated him out of a big moment though. Which brings me to my main problem with the film...

That last act was just too rushed. I get it though; I understand why. I guess I even see what Marshall was going for but that's why I think it wasn't a slam-dunk critically. It could've been at least thirty minutes longer. *SPOILERS* I really liked the idea of The Giantess interrupting the wedding. I thought that was a good way to cut "So Happy" without losing context. The problem for me was right after that. All of a sudden there is this huge tonal shift, but the audience (and the characters) haven't had time to adjust to these heavy stakes. In the play, all of a sudden they are in such grave danger. These are really high stakes and I feel like they ended up a little truncated and "glossed-over".

I am glad the film was made, but I do wish it could have reached it's true artistic potential without all the studio intervention and the commercial trepidation.

It's really awesome though and you guys will love it.

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

Mrtrobz
#4248Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 2:30am

I am glad to hear such smashing reports!

AwesomeDanny
#4249Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 4:11am

I loved it. Every moment but one... when we went into the wolf with Little Red. But otherwise, it was beautiful. The cuts really didn't bother me, and there wasn't one weak performance in the cast. Meryl Streep's "Last Midnight" was incredibly exciting.

And did anyone else catch that music at the ball? I won't spoil the subtle surprise, but it was very nice for a Sondheim lover to hear.

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!