pixeltracker

Les Misérables: So, what did you think?- Page 12

Les Misérables: So, what did you think?

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#275Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 11:45am

Some people are gifted that way.

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#276Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 11:49am

Chewey, you see that chess board in your icon? See that piece way over to the left and down a bit? The one that's alone?

That's you in regard to this topic.

SporkGoddess
#277Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 1:18pm

"You already know you'll do that before you even see it?"

Her singing in the soundtrack highlights was enough to make me do that already.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 12/28/12 at 01:18 PM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#278Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 1:34pm

"But all of Europe and its colonies (think Washington and Bolivar) reeled in the wake of the Revolution of 1789,

The French Revolution came after the American Revolution. In fact, the French were inspired in part by the Americans to revolt."

Stagemanager, I caught my admittedly ridiculous oversight before you did and corrected myself. I changed Washington to Juarez.

Read more: https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1054750&page=11#ixzz2GNBrGPI9

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#279Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 4:53pm

No, you didn't 'cause it still said Washington and Bolivar when I copy/pasted and replied to it, as you can see from your post. So there.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

SporkGoddess
#280Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 5:14pm

Just got home! I really liked it but overall I think the story is just too difficult to translate to film. The story holes in the musical were more obvious in the movie.

All of the acting was great except for Russell Crowe IMO--I feel like he was too busy trying to sing to really act. Amanda Seyfried wasn't that great IMO until the end, but she did a great job in the last scene. Anne Hathaway was fantastic.

The love story was really difficult for me to sit through, moreso than usual. It just seems so insipid compared to the rest of the story, although I know that we're kind of supposed to think that.

Singing-wise... everyone was pretty good except for Amanda Seyfried, although I actually found her bearable at times. Eddie Redmayne's jaw tension drove me crazy but he sounded good. Russell Crowe was very meh, it wasn't painful for me to hear but I thought his singing lacked emotion. Aaron Tveit and Samantha Barks were the standouts, of course. Colm Wilkinson sounded less "Sean Connery"-ish than usual.

I agree that there were too many close-ups but I thought that there were some great moments in the direction, too. The beginning scene in the shipyards was really well-done, and I liked some of the transitions.

I also liked some of the nods to the novel, like Valjean giving Cosette the doll when he takes her from the Thenardiers.

It definitely beat the Liam Neeson version, though!

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 12/28/12 at 05:14 PM

HowBoutJoey Profile Photo
HowBoutJoey
#281Best Les Miz Summary Ever
Posted: 12/28/12 at 6:45pm

Check out my "Before You Go See Les Miz" Summary. It's only 3 minutes. If you agree, please share it.
Moviegoers' Guide to Les Miz

Joviedamian
#282Best Les Miz Summary Ever
Posted: 12/28/12 at 6:51pm

So I had a weird and serious question. The scenes before and after "On My Own", there was not a single glimpse or thought of rain, but during it, there was a huge STORM..WTH? Was that just a scattered shower?

StageManager2
#283Best Les Miz Summary Ever
Posted: 12/28/12 at 6:56pm

There was also rain during "A Little Fall of Rain," naturally, but there didn't seem to be rain at any other point during the barricade. :-/

Salve, Salve Regina
O clemens O pia

Joviedamian
#284Best Les Miz Summary Ever
Posted: 12/28/12 at 7:09pm

SM2 correct! Just seemed out of place...maybe that is why I felt that it was filmed like a music video to single out the song!

supportivemom Profile Photo
supportivemom
#285Best Les Miz Summary Ever
Posted: 12/28/12 at 8:33pm

Joey- LOVED your video! LOVED it! Thanks for posting and I will be sharing!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#286Best Les Miz Summary Ever
Posted: 12/28/12 at 8:37pm

The rain! Yes, it drove me nuts in both instances.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#287Best Les Miz Summary Ever
Posted: 12/28/12 at 8:39pm

I finally saw Les Miz, though I hesitated because of the length of the film. I really loved Hugh Jackman's acting, along with Anne Hathaway. Eddie Redmayne's voice was surprisingly good. Russell Crowe's singing was not impressive. It would have had more impact had a professional singer taken on the role of Javert. Amanda Seyfried's voice seemed fragile, almost like it was ready to snap at any moment. My favorite singing came from Samatha Barks as Eponine. LOVED her! from RC in Austin,Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

henrikegerman
#288Best Les Miz Summary Ever
Posted: 12/28/12 at 10:17pm

Sorry, Stagemanager, you are mistaken.

As you can see from my post I last updated it at 10.02 a.m. Your post correcting mine was at 10.52 a.m. What do you think I'm lying? I actually wrote that post, got on the subway, thought about it, realized I had misstated that the American revolution postdated the French Revolution and, embarrassed, corrected it as soon as I got back online.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#289Best Les Miz Summary Ever
Posted: 12/28/12 at 10:21pm

What a palaver, what an absolute treat!

StageManager2
#290Best Les Miz Summary Ever
Posted: 12/28/12 at 10:33pm

When you update your posts, it doesn't update the time as well, inexplicably. For instance, your original post was posted at 10:02am, but the update is also listed as 10:02am, which is not possible 'cause, by your own admission, you took took a subway ride, pondered, realized your mistake, and corrected it when you were able to get back online. All that would've taken a long time. In the meantime, I saw your mistake and corrected it in my reply post, before you were able to go online again. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered if you had beaten me to it 'cause I wouldn't have seen it. But I did.

Salve, Salve Regina
O clemens O pia

henrikegerman
#291Best Les Miz Summary Ever
Posted: 12/28/12 at 11:05pm

OK, my mistake. I thought I saw that no one had caught my mistake before I corrected it (I was worried someone had, and, congrats, apparently you did!) but I'll take your word for it that you did. In any event....

StageManager2
#292Best Les Miz Summary Ever
Posted: 12/29/12 at 12:28am

Apology accepted.

Here's the Nostalgia Chick's review of the film for anyone who's interested:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/team-nchick/specials/37785-les-miserables-2012

Here's the video she and her friends did last year about the musical, which she mentions in passing in the review above:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/team-nchick/nostalgia-chick/31204-les-miserables-the-musical

Salve, Salve Regina
O clemens O pia

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#293Best Les Miz Summary Ever
Posted: 12/29/12 at 12:33am

Best Les Miz Summary Ever

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#294Best Les Miz Summary Ever
Posted: 12/29/12 at 12:36am

WTF! ROFLMAO.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

HowBoutJoey Profile Photo
HowBoutJoey
#295Best Les Miz Summary Ever
Posted: 12/29/12 at 12:49am

Thanks!

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#296Best Les Miz Summary Ever
Posted: 12/29/12 at 1:20am

Saw it. Loved it. The film is much closer to the LES MIZ I always saw in my head while listening to the recording--as opposed to the stage show, which I found overly mechanical.

I agree that Seyfried wasn't great, but isn't that the major problem with the show as a whole? That the focal character (not the main or central character but the character with whom the main characters are concerned) is rather insipid and undeveloped?

I love Eponine, but I think it's a major dramaturgical problem in the musical that she takes up the time and music when we should be getting to know and forming an attachment to grown-up Cosette.

The film didn't solve the problem, but it didn't make it any worse.

And FWIW, watching it I finally understood what was being "barricaded". On stage, there just seemed to be a mountain of broken crap for the actors to climb while I was left to wonder why they called it a "barricade" rather than a "pile".

CHOOKA2 Profile Photo
CHOOKA2
#297Best Les Miz Summary Ever
Posted: 12/29/12 at 1:24am

I appreciated that a few replied to my previous questions so I want to sneak just one more in---why do the children sound like Cockneys and Master of the House seemed to be set in a jolly olde english pub-a la Dickens--did they skip across the Chanel at some point?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#298Best Les Miz Summary Ever
Posted: 12/29/12 at 1:29am

For the same reason that this takes place in France and everyone has British accents.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#299Best Les Miz Summary Ever
Posted: 12/29/12 at 1:35am

Cockney is by no means the only working-class British accent, but it is commonly used to indicate working class characters of other cultures.