Talley's Folly PREVIEW

Pammylicious Profile Photo
Pammylicious
#1Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/7/13 at 4:02pm

First preview February 8. Will the blizzard warning make the fiest preview the show I have a ticket for on Saturday?

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#2Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/7/13 at 4:09pm

I'll be at the invited dress tonight.

Pammylicious
#2Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/7/13 at 4:16pm

Great curious to find out everything.

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#3Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/7/13 at 7:45pm

I can't wait to see Lana Banana in this. American Horror Story fans will understand the reference.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#4Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/7/13 at 9:13pm

Had no idea this was starting so soon. Excited to see it.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#5Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/7/13 at 10:31pm

For a dress rehearsal, it was very tight. There aren't many moving parts, so it makes sense that everything went smoothly. I'm not usually a fan of Sarah's, but I thought she did quite well. And Danny is always excellent. The real low point is the play itself. It feels a little stale.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#6Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/7/13 at 11:23pm

What was the run time? I'm going tomorrow night.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#7Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/7/13 at 11:49pm

Just under 90 minutes.

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#8Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/8/13 at 2:35pm

The play feels stale? It only won the Pulitzer Prize.
Ummm....then again, so did Water by the Spoonful.
Errr, never mind.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#9Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/8/13 at 6:43pm

"Stale" doesn't mean good or bad. Some plays don't hold up perfectly over time--even Pulitzer Prize winners.

I'll be there tonight.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

stevenycguy
#10Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/8/13 at 6:44pm

Tonight's show is cancelled per www.roundabouttheatre.org

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#11Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/8/13 at 6:49pm

Really? I didn't receive an email or call.

Oh well.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Pammylicious
#12Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/8/13 at 7:16pm

yay...I'm going to first preview tomorrow at 2 pm. First time!

wexy
#13Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/8/13 at 7:47pm

I'm going next Friday...

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

Pammylicious
#14Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/9/13 at 4:31pm

Just came back....Danny is amazing.....I liked it a lot. Not my favorite but quite good and I didn't find it stale at all.

Small hiccop at the beginning and Danny handled it beautifully.

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#15Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/9/13 at 4:36pm

I saw today's matinee as well and loved it. I thought both Danny Burstein and Sarah Paulson were superb, and I enjoyed the play very much.

Pammylicious
#16Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/9/13 at 5:00pm

So what happened at the beginning? Did Danny forget his lines from all the kibbitzing he was doing? Why did he start all over. He is so likeable, I thought it was part of the play a first.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#17Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/9/13 at 6:39pm

It is part of the play...

Pammylicious
#18Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/9/13 at 7:15pm

that he starts all over and say gesunheit to someone who sneezed in the audience.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#19Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/9/13 at 7:16pm

I don't know/remember about the gesundheit part, but that he starts over again and does the whole first section in double time is part of the play.

Pammylicious
#20Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/9/13 at 7:28pm

Wow, didn't realize it was real.....but why?

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#21Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/9/13 at 10:04pm

When I saw the original production, the third or fourth cast was playing it, and it was lifeless, tired, not compelling. When I read the script, I fall in love with its depth, its heart, and its connection to FIFTH OF JULY, a play I'm besotted with, as always. I would love to see it in rep with JULY (and the third play, name escaping me), where the three might present an extraordinary portrait of Wilson's world. I wish this production well. The play certainly deserves a revival, and these actors seem almost ideal.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

iluvtheatertrash
#22Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/9/13 at 11:32pm

The third play you are trying to recall is TALLEY & SON.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#23Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/10/13 at 4:35pm

Pammylicious, nothing went wrong; the only thing Danny added was "Gesundheit" (in response to an audience member loudly sneezing), which was hilarious (he also repeated the "Gesundheit" in his double-time version of the opening).

Auggie, I love the idea of doing those three shows in rep. I didn't realize Talley's Folly was connected to two other plays, but based on how much I enjoyed seeing Talley's Folly, I'd expect the other two plays to enhance the experience.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#24Talley's Folly PREVIEW
Posted: 2/10/13 at 8:03pm

I thought Talley's Folley was charming and sweet, very well acted. Theater was small enough to maintain intimacy.

Videos