pixeltracker

The Princess and the Frog Musical Adaptation?

The Princess and the Frog Musical Adaptation?

Starship
#1The Princess and the Frog Musical Adaptation?
Posted: 3/2/13 at 6:56pm

I know The Princess and the Frog didn't do really well for Disney, but does anybody else think that it would be fun to see some form of an adaptation happen? Maybe a Papermill production or something of the sorts? Just to see how audiences would react to it?

The only real problem I can see with creating the musical would be the frog transformation, but that aside, the rest of the show features strong materials that could make the show pretty darn awesome (the music, the Bayou and New Orleans scenes, etc.). And quite honestly, I could see some great designers figuring out the frog scenes.

Patina Miller as Tiana? Norm Lewis as Doctor Facilier? Kecia Lewis Evans as Mama Odie? Any blonde actress as Charlotte and any handsome tenor as Prince Naveen? There's a lot of perfect casting choices.

Updated On: 3/2/13 at 06:56 PM

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#2The Princess and the Frog Musical Adaptation?
Posted: 3/2/13 at 7:03pm

Dude, not cool. I actually thought that it was going to happen -_- I was about to scream and my heart is still beating. haha!

Anyway, yeah. I've been thinking about this since the movie came out. I'd love to see this as a Broadway musical. And like you said, the frog transformations are the only problem. But, the rest would be cool.

Anyway, 3 of my castings:

Anika Noni Rose or Patina Miller as Tiana
Kristin Chenoweth as Charlotte
Santino Fontana as Naveen

SporkGoddess
#2The Princess and the Frog Musical Adaptation?
Posted: 3/2/13 at 7:14pm

Only if Alan Menken redoes the score, IMO.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Starship
#3The Princess and the Frog Musical Adaptation?
Posted: 3/2/13 at 7:18pm

To me, the score is perfect the way it is now. Of course, there would need to be a buttload of additional songs, which should only be written by Menken himself.

Plot wise, I'd want to see more of Tiana's life before the frog kiss, I'd like to see an extended party scene, more from the character of Travis (who Charlotte rejects), and a lot more out of Naveen, who I feel was kind of pushed to the side in the movie.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#4The Princess and the Frog Musical Adaptation?
Posted: 3/2/13 at 7:49pm

So are the frogs gonna be puppets, or people in frog costumes, like they do for Disney on Ice?

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#5The Princess and the Frog Musical Adaptation?
Posted: 3/2/13 at 7:53pm

Kyle Dean Massey for Prince Naveen

BDrischBDemented
#6The Princess and the Frog Musical Adaptation?
Posted: 3/2/13 at 7:53pm

"Of course, there would need to be a buttload of additional songs, which should only be written by Menken himself."

Why would Menken write additional songs for something he didn't write in the first place?

"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"

Starship
#7The Princess and the Frog Musical Adaptation?
Posted: 3/2/13 at 8:30pm

Lawd I meant Randy Newman.

Visceral_Fella
#8The Princess and the Frog Musical Adaptation?
Posted: 3/2/13 at 8:50pm

I'm sure Jenifer Lewis wouldn't mind reprising Odie. She loves Broadway.

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#9The Princess and the Frog Musical Adaptation?
Posted: 3/2/13 at 9:03pm

I like the idea of Patina Miller as Tiana.

Starship
#10The Princess and the Frog Musical Adaptation?
Posted: 3/2/13 at 10:14pm

Broadway NEEDS Jennifer Lawrence! And if they bring out the character of Travis more (which I think they should), Andrew Keenan Bolger would be perfect for the role. Updated On: 3/2/13 at 10:14 PM

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#11The Princess and the Frog Musical Adaptation?
Posted: 3/2/13 at 10:25pm

Back? As in, implying she's been on Broadway before?

I'm too sober to really participate in this thread

Updated On: 3/2/13 at 10:25 PM

Renthead1980
#12The Princess and the Frog Musical Adaptation?
Posted: 11/7/14 at 2:10am

I think keke Palmer would be great as tianna , and. The guy who's playing Aladdin as prince naveen

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#13The Princess and the Frog Musical Adaptation?
Posted: 11/7/14 at 3:18am

@ Wynbish - She played Motormouth in Hairspray in the summer of 2008.

Darreyl with an L!