STARCATCHER at New World Stages

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#1STARCATCHER at New World Stages
Posted: 3/19/13 at 8:42am

Who was there last night? How is it comparing to the previous incarnations?

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#2STARCATCHER at New World Stages
Posted: 3/19/13 at 8:53am

I was there last night with a friend, the show was MARVELOUS as always. The smaller space reminded me of how the show felt at NYTW, a lot more intimate than it was on Broadway. There weren't many changes to the script or staging that I could pick out, but I only saw it twice prior to last night so I'm not the best person to ask about changes.

The cast was incredible. The only SLIGHT disappointment for me was Nicole Lowrence as Molly, she was just lacking that childlike demeanor and aura that Celia had. Jason Ralph was perfect as the boy, he found very different darkness and humor in it than Adam Chandler-Berat. Rick Holmes as Black Stache...what can I say. He had the crowd crying from laughter. I thought it would be really, really hard to top Christian Borle in that role, but he took it in a completely different place and had everyone in stitches from his first moment onstage to his last.

Also, this is a smaller part, but Andrew Mueller as Prentiss was great. He took a role I barely noticed in the past and really had some serious scene-stealing comedy moments.

All in all, one of the most fun nights I've had out this season. Highly recommend this incarnation.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#2STARCATCHER at New World Stages
Posted: 3/19/13 at 9:14am

Thanks for the report, Kelly2. I'm really excited to see it again now. I only got the chance to see it once on Broadway (with the original cast) and that was definitely not enough. Glad to hear most of the leads are still great.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#3STARCATCHER at New World Stages
Posted: 3/19/13 at 11:23am

I didn't love this show as so many people did (I saw it on Broadway), but I bet it plays very well in a more intimate theater.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#4STARCATCHER at New World Stages
Posted: 3/20/13 at 12:16am

Agreed. I didn't love it. I'll be curious to see how it tours, though.

spicegirlsaloud
#5STARCATCHER at New World Stages
Posted: 3/20/13 at 1:13am

Does anyone know if the New World Stages playbill is Black and White or Color?

Dollypop
#6STARCATCHER at New World Stages
Posted: 3/20/13 at 6:20pm

It's sepia toned.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#7STARCATCHER at New World Stages
Posted: 3/20/13 at 6:30pm

I'll be curious to see how it tours, though.

The tour will be my first experience with it. After all the buzz it generated, I'm looking forward to it. I just hope it doesn't get lost in our 2,600+ barn.

AntV
#8STARCATCHER at New World Stages
Posted: 3/21/13 at 5:58am

I saw it last night, it was my first time seeing the show, I liked it a lot! The audience really loved it too, occasionally laughing hard at jokes I didn't find too funny. The whole cast was great. Holmes as Black Stache was especially fantastic. I've only seen the videos of the others, but I'd say he was comparable to Borle and better than Saldivar. I also really liked the actors that played Ted and Mrs. Bumbrake.

I had a TDF ticket and was in the second row nearly in the center! Loved seeing them all so up close.

The playbill is black and white.

They added one line which even never seeing the show before I obviously know is new for this production. Something along the lines of Stache telling Peter, "You'll be famous: books, movies, Broadway, Post-Broadway."

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#9STARCATCHER at New World Stages
Posted: 3/21/13 at 2:07pm

I really am surprised at how well it transferred. I actually preferred this production to the Broadway production because of how intimate it feels and how well it plays in the theatre, even though there were one or two performances in the Broadway production that I preferred to their off-Broadway counterparts.

A friend who works at the theatre told me that it was selling very well, which made me happy. I really hope this runs for awhile.

Mrs. Bumbrake
#10STARCATCHER at New World Stages
Posted: 3/21/13 at 2:57pm

I'm going tonight and can't wait!
I am an avid Starcatcher fan, saw the Broadway version 7 times and I hope I love the new incarnation as much.
The hardest thing will be seeing it without Arnie Burton as Bumbrake....adored him....but I'm sure the new guy will be good.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#11STARCATCHER at New World Stages
Posted: 3/21/13 at 4:01pm

Glad to hear it is still good after the transfer. I haven't gotten to see it yet and really want to. I saw Rick Holmes in Spamalot and enjoyed his performance there, so I'm excited to see him, if he stays around long enough for me to.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#12STARCATCHER at New World Stages
Posted: 3/23/13 at 10:58am

For anyone curious about rush: It's 26.50$ when the box office opens with a student ID. My friend got there at 10am today and got center orchestra Row F with no problem.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#13STARCATCHER at New World Stages
Posted: 3/23/13 at 11:06am

The tour will be my first experience with it. After all the buzz it generated, I'm looking forward to it. I just hope it doesn't get lost in our 2,600+ barn.

It's going to be very interesting to see how this and Once tour... Both are such small shows to be playing such big theatres on the road.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "