pixeltracker

Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?

Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#1Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 8:13am

I need some help. I'm going to NYC in July or August and I'm trying to decide what show to see. I'm deciding between what are probably the 3 best shows of the season: Motown, Matilda, and Kinky Boots. If anybody has some suggestions that would be great!

Dessie
#2Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 8:44am

Can't go wrong with any of them--kinky will likely have more ticket availability

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 9:02am

And what your taste is.

I've seen both Matilda and Kinky, liked them both (Kinky worked a little better for me) but didn't love either of them. Matilda is a tad cold, but the production values are delightful. Kinky is predictable, but heartfelt and fun.

I have little desire to see Motown.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#3Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 9:22am

a no-brainer. matilda.

hak5 Profile Photo
hak5
#4Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 9:49am

PIPPIN

BOM  Profile Photo
BOM
#5Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 10:05am

Matilda

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#6Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 10:17am

See what you truly want to see...or flip a coin! Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?

Cheetos Rivera
#7Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 11:06am

I would recommend Motown to absolutely anybody. Matilda is great, but tickets are probably a bitch. Feel free to skip Kinky and miss nothing. Consider adding Pippin to your list.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#8Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 11:41am

Kinky, no doubt

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#9Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 11:45am

I'll jump on the bandwagon to get you to consider Pippin. Better than anything you are currently considering. MY recommendation in ORDER:

Pippin
Kinky
Matilda
Motown

Note: not a huge difference between Kinky and Matilda, but I did like Kinky a little better.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#10Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 3:28pm

Pass on Pippin, that show should've never been dusted off and put on again. Matilda and Kinky I enjoyed, Motown to me...just listen to the music, there's nothing really in the production that's meaningful.

It's just a matter of taste, really. Kinky is more fun than Matilda, and I thought it was a more seamless, coherent show. But Matilda does have some wonderful performances and now quite a lot of buzz.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

djoko84
#11Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 3:40pm

Pippin or Matilda.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#12Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 4:02pm

Don't listen to Kelly. If you can go, I highly recommend Pippin.

Bernadette_B Profile Photo
Bernadette_B
#13Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 4:07pm

Kinky Boots, heels down.

That is, if you're interested in a high-energy, feel-good show with incredible talent, design, and showstopping musical numbers.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#14Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 5:32pm

Matilda. After Eight hates it which means it's a truly great show.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Mike Barrett
#15Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 6:59pm

Okay so maybe I'll consider Pippin. I just don't know much about it other than it's the favorite for the Tony. The 3 I mentioned just seemed like the 3 best and didn't know what people thought I should do. Thanks for the idea!

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#16Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 9:33pm

Out of those, I would pick Matilda. But I'd take Pippin over all of them.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#17Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 9:34pm

"Don't listen to Kelly. If you can go, I highly recommend Pippin."

I'm pretty sure my take on Pippin is just as valid as yours, hon. Nothing wrong with giving a second opinion.

Mike, if you like Pippin as a show, then I think this is probably one of the best productions of Pippin you'll ever see and you should definitely consider it. If you are going into it not being a fan of the material, I don't think this production is going to make you like it any more. It wasn't for me.

I think it comes down to taste, if you like big, splashy Broadway shows, big dance numbers, lots of songs that'll stick in your head, glitter and flash, Kinky Boots is far and away the best choice, and I think the show's got a heart under all the flash. Matilda's darker, in my opinion the score is less memorable, but it does have the incredible and probably Tony-winning Bertie Carvel as Trunchbull and Lesli Margherita's a real hoot too. Not that the show doesn't have it's fun moments, but I wouldn't say it's the same type of show as Kinky. I don't think you'd have a bad time at either.

Updated On: 4/13/13 at 09:34 PM

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#18Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 10:10pm

"Don't listen to Kelly. If you can go, I highly recommend Pippin."

CO-SIGN!

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#19Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 10:13pm

I think it's really funny that you're so threatened by my dislike of the show. If Pippin's as good as you think it is, what's one person not buying the hype gonna do to it?

After Eight
#20Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 11:29pm

Kelly,

As we see here all the time, some people are very threatened by others with differing opinions.

I don't get it either; perhaps it has to do with personal insecurities.

I suppose they are more to be pitied than condemned. Their rudeness, however, is simply to be condemned.

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#21Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/13/13 at 11:33pm

Wow After Eight, I can't decide if your hypocrisy is sort of amusing or just plain sad.

and Kelly I'm definitely not threatened by you at all..but nice try

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#22Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 7:14am

"I'm pretty sure my take on Pippin is just as valid as yours, hon. Nothing wrong with giving a second opinion."

Not really. You're bitter Drood closed and won't win Best Revival, and you won't accept that Pippin is a better production and that EVERYONE likes it better. Stop being a child.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#23Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 9:20am

See? Matilda.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Mike Barrett
#24Decision on seeing Matilda, Motown, or Kinky?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 9:29am

Thanks for the ideas. I've never seen Pippin but apparently a lot of people love it and they have a problem with you not liking it. I think from what everyone is saying, Matilda is dark and is hard to get tickets to, Kinky is big, and haven't heard much on Motown but it opens tonight and I'll see what reviews say and then decide. Thanks for the help Kelly!

Videos