pixeltracker

How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?- Page 3

How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#50How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:35am

Sure he has the right to ask to stay on topic -- just as everyone has the right to discuss things however they see fit.

Jordan was named in the op, he is part of the topic.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#51How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:35am

We is kind. We is smart. We is important.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#52How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:36am

I get such a kick out of responses like -

"The reason this board is becoming increasingly irrelevant is (IMO) too much time is spent makes "witty" jokes and infighting, insulting and name-calling. It is increasingly difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff."

Because if you put 200 people with a common interest in the same room to discuss theater, you would have a perfectly civilized conversation with everyone remaining entirely serious. And that's exactly what some people expect with an internet message board. Where the idea that that was possible ever came from, I'll never know.

Jordan Catalano
#53How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:38am

Dave, I don't want to fight. I made you a pie as a peace offering...

How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?

ghostlight2
#54How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:41am

"It's mostly important to those who post here."

"Well yea, isn't that the point of a message board?"

Of course it is, tazber. I was responding to the OP's original question.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#55How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:45am

I suspect that a lot of industry people peruse this board but would never admit it.

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 4/14/13 at 10:45 AM

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#56How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:48am

Lord knows Musto does.

Dave19
#57How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:51am

"And you want my opinion on this site's importance? Sure, why not.

I think it's important."

You have an opinion that actually is about a topic someone posted! That's a first! It's really cool when people get to know your actual opinions instead of always hiding behind your "shield" you know.

Can you elaborate a bit more on why you think it's important?

Ps. "everyone remaining entirely serious" is the opposite of what you do. It's all about a healthy balance. It's healthy to stay on topic every now and then.

By the way, I'm 28, but dave1984 was already taken.

And thanks for the pie :) That's very kind.

Updated On: 4/14/13 at 10:51 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#58How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:53am

I am never starting a thread drunk again.

Made me laugh.

I've only mentioned BWW to a few of my friends who work regularly on Broadway (two or three of them you know well). Actually, I didn't mention it, they did. The conversation was short and started with, "Oh, GOD."

Followed by a "word of warning" issued to the fellow castmates within earshot:

"Avoid message boards like the plague! They are poison."

And I heard a story about a cast member who was ripped to shreds here in a thread, who happened to hear about it and decided to read it.

She was in tears for days and was given the big, "I told you so!"

Never again.

The others who were with us (many of them members of this Broadway cast) agreed. They all know about the boards here and on ATC, but most of them will never go anywhere near them.

If they do, it's out of morbid curiosity, usually with a drink in hand.

They do visit BWW and read the articles and promos (particularly when they are about them or their friends, which isn't surprising) ... but the boards are also a running joke from people in the Broadway community. "It's where egos go to die."

I wonder how many people here realize that.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 4/14/13 at 10:53 AM

Jordan Catalano
#59How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:53am

Of course they do. Deny the importance of this place all you want, but we're a very visible and vocal discussion about their industry. To say that they don't care what we think is ridiculous. We know for a fact that producers and marketing teams use this place as a tool and changes are also made to shows based on things that are discussed here. A couple of times I've posted at intermission of a show that you couldn't hear a damn thing and next thing you know a new person signs up to say that the problem should be fixed by the next show.

OF COURSE THEY READ THIS BOARD. If you had millions of dollars invested in something wouldn't YOU want to make sure you were doing everything possible to make sure you got your money back and to ensure you're presenting something people are actually enjoying?

EDIT - I'm talking about behind the scenes people, not actors for the most part. Besty is right that they'd be smart to avoid us like the plague. lol

Updated On: 4/14/13 at 10:53 AM

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#60How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:55am

Dave spent three paragraphs talking about Jordan, then three sentences talking about the main topic. This is rich.

Jordan Catalano
#61How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:57am

"Wow!!! You have an opinion that actually is about a topic someone posted! That's a first! It's really cool when people get to know your actual opinions instead of always hiding behind your "shield" you know."

Little boy, I know you think you're being cool and witty but in order to be either of those things you need be sure you make sense when you say something. And that statement about does not make sense in any way shape or form. Just because you say something, doesn't make it true and it's not like my messages have all been wiped clear from here and you can "rewrite" the past and what I've said in my time here.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#62How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:59am

I think this thread demonstrates pretty well why many of the pros don't come anywhere near here.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#63How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 11:01am

I wonder if some of the behind the scenes people read the comments on previews. Between Whizzer, After Eight, and some others, every show's preview period is discussed.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#64How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 11:09am

Dave19 seems to miss the point- what makes someone like Jordan an alpha poster is not posting in bulk, but the fact that we, for the most part, ENJOY those posts. They are witty. They are funny. They are usually insightful or at least incisive.

Web theory posits that there are two types of web interactors: Mavens, who create content or provide vital information, and connectors, who provide the framework and connections around the mavens. A connector can wield as much power as a maven if the support system is good, insightful, entertaining or otherwise enjoyable.

This is what I couldn't make explicit through the haze of colorful vodka drinks last night. Most long-term board members, especially the recognizable characters, have a usual function on the board. Whizzer is probably the most obvious maven- his "thing" is reviews. When a new show comes out, you often hear people saying "I can't wait for Whizzer's review," because we know this is something he has made an online art out of. But you can't have a site with all mavens, or all wannabe mavens, at least not in a dialogue based community. The connectors on this board, be they commentators, critics, or comedians, are at least as important as the people generating substantial information, because they make the board readable, interactive and entertaining as opposed to a series of blog posts.

So don't disparage wit, Dave19. Wit is what keeps this board alive during slow seasons.

FindingNamo
#65How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 11:13am

"I think this thread demonstrates pretty well why many of the pros don't come anywhere near here."

I think people who feel this way should join their professional friends in solidarity.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#66How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 11:14am

I AM SPARTACUS MAVEN!

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#67How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 11:19am

BWW has only been name dropped on Smash a couple of times because it's payment for making at least 87% of the news stories at any given moment about Smash.

"Katherine McPhee eats Burrito, has Bowel Movement"

FindingNamo
#68How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?

I doubt the latter ever happened.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#69How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?

Here's the way I think it really works (others feel free to disagree) ...

BWW the website (as a whole) is important to the Broadway community as a visible promotional tool.

BWW message boards are important and even essential to modern Broadway fans.

And Broadway fans are essential to the Broadway community and to BWW to help generate revenue.

So, by proxy, if nothing else, the boards are important to Broadway.

Jordan Catalano
#70How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 11:21am

But how important is te BroadwayworldTV section to the TV community?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#71How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 11:23am

The answer is seven, divided by three.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#72How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 11:23am

Not as important as BWW geeksworld.com

FindingNamo
#73How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 11:40am

Here's what I think:

When you drop "Broadwayworld" into a line on a TV show, no introduction or context is necessary. If you drop "That's All Chat" into the same line, you have to explain it's a marginal theater board with a user interface from the mid-'90s that hosts frighteningly moderated discussions between the Asperger's community and shut-ins.

I think it's funny that that make up theater names like the Lily Hayes but not website names.

Jordan Catalano
#74How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 11:42am

Lily was Helen's older and prettier sister, that's why her theater is so much bigger.