pixeltracker

MOTOWN OBCR now available on iTunes

MOTOWN OBCR now available on iTunes

TheatreKid3
#1MOTOWN OBCR now available on iTunes
Posted: 6/3/13 at 11:21pm

Since this album has gotten literally NO buzz, I figured I'd give it some. Previews sound good. They have left off a LOT of songs, however - more than half, actually.

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
PlayItAgain
#2MOTOWN OBCR now available on iTunes
Posted: 6/4/13 at 12:14am

how ****ty that they would release it the same day as the Pippin OCR.

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#3MOTOWN OBCR now available on iTunes
Posted: 6/4/13 at 12:24am

yes how dare they!

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#4MOTOWN OBCR now available on iTunes
Posted: 6/4/13 at 1:17am

I'm sure Berry Gordy is sitting in his McMansion laughing to himself as he counts his millions worrying about how he c*ckblocked the Pippin cast album release date.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 6/4/13 at 01:17 AM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#5MOTOWN OBCR now available on iTunes
Posted: 6/4/13 at 1:40am

Well, he does have a history with PIPPIN as he was a producer of the original 1972 Bob Fosse Broadway production AND the Original Broadway Cast Recording was released on Motown Records. Bet ya kids didn't know this, huh?

latitudex1 Profile Photo
latitudex1
#6MOTOWN OBCR now available on iTunes
Posted: 6/4/13 at 1:54am

To my ears, it sounds like they were quite liberal with the computer instrumentation. That sound could be the result of processing, though.

Frankly, it sounds like one of those cheaply produced studio cover albums w/ really talented vocalists. It's not reflective of anyone's individual performance or the show. And, of course, it's highly truncated.

Only for collectors and fans of the show.

#7MOTOWN OBCR now available on iTunes
Posted: 6/4/13 at 5:06pm

I was actually listening to the LP of the Pippin Original Cast Recording the other day and thinking how funny it was that it was back on Broadway the same time as a musical about Motown.

Jamminman
#8MOTOWN OBCR now available on iTunes
Posted: 6/6/13 at 3:25am

I have heard barely anything from the show and I am literally the biggest Motown fan you could find (Detroit pride!!) and I like the recording. The sound quality is crisp and clean, which is usually opposite of the Motown sound but is indicative of a modern cast recording. I wish they recorded more songs because the singers are unbelievable, even it some don't sound exactly like the legends they're imitating. Props to the actors playing Diana Ross, Smoky Robinson and Gladys Knight, they are almost exact imitations. The actors playing Marvin, MJ and Stevie have ridiculously good voices although they don't sound as similar to the original artists as those previously mentioned. This recording makes me want to see the show so much more and I wish we had a full recording with this beautiful cast! Good work to all involved!

-Justin

Updated On: 6/6/13 at 03:25 AM