pixeltracker

Update: Sandra Bullock Out of 'Annie' Remake

Update: Sandra Bullock Out of 'Annie' Remake

Will42 Profile Photo
Will42
#1Update: Sandra Bullock Out of 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:02pm

UPDATE: Bullock's name is no longer in the mix: https://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/sandra-bullock-wont-be-annie-remake-after-negotiations-end-exclusive-98326

The Oscar winner would play Miss Hannigan opposite Quvenzhane Wallis and Jamie Foxx

Oscar winner Sandra Bullock is in early discussions to play Miss Hannigan in Sony and Overbrook Entertainment's remake of "Annie," two individuals familiar with the project have told TheWrap.

Hannigan, of course, is the mean woman who runs the orphanage where Annie and her friends live. Carol Burnett played the role in the original 1982 film, and Sony has sought to cast an actress with comedic chops and international appeal.

What's especially interesting about Bullock's potential casting is that she initially passed on the role. Now insiders tell TheWrap that Bullock is back at the negotiating table for a family film that may wind up a holiday hit.

Will Smith and Shawn "Jay-Z" Carter are producing Will Gluck's updated musical, which stars Quvenzhane Wallis ("Beasts of the Southern Wild") as the titular orphan, who was originally supposed to be played by Smith's daughter Willow. Jamie Foxx will play NYC mayoral hopeful Benjamin Stacks, a variation on the Daddy Warbucks character.

Sony had no comment, while a representative for Bullock, who is traveling with the actress in Europe, did not reply to numerous requests for comment.

The "Annie" remake is the rare musical designed to appeal to African-American audiences, which also made a sleeper hit out of Bullock's 2009 drama "The Blind Side," which grossed $255 million in the U.S. alone.

Gluck is directing from a script by Emma Thompson and Aline Brosh McKenna that the filmmaker recently revised to suit his vision for the movie, which is expected to start production this fall. "Annie" will hit theaters on Christmas Day 2014.

Joining Jay-Z and Smith as producers are the latter's Overbrook Entertainment partners James Lassiter and Jada Pinkett Smith, as well as Marcy Media's Jay Brown and Tyran "Ty Ty" Smith. Sony's Andrea Gianatti and Devon Franklin are overseeing for the studio.

Bullock, who is coming off another supporting turn in "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close," next stars opposite Melissa McCarthy in the buddy cop comedy "The Heat," which 20th Century Fox opens June 28. She's also expected to be in the awards mix this year for Alfonso Cuaron's "Gravity," which Warner Bros. will release on Oct. 4.

Bullock is represented by CAA and attorney Clifford Gilbert-Lurie.

God God. Updated On: 6/19/13 at 03:02 PM

broadway guy
Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:05pm

Oh look, you guys! Everyone can stop wringing their hands at the apocalyptic thought that this would be ALL BLACK.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

broadway guy
#3Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:07pm

Well I am all for a new Annie movie. Lord knows the 80's movie was horrible and the tv movie didn't do the musical Justice either. We really don't have a good Annie film which is surprising cause it would be a really easy show to put on film. Just don't screw it up!

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#4Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:09pm

That's actually perfect casting. She would be a great Hannigan!

Updated On: 6/12/13 at 03:09 PM

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#5Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:11pm

Bullock is an extremely bland choice for Hannigan, there are so many talented actresses out there that would be spectacular in that role, it would really be a missed opportunity for a stellar performance.

broadway guy
#6Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:11pm

But she can't sing! If I were bullock I would pass on the Annie movie and beg Marsahall to cast me as The Baker's Wife in the ITW film. If Sandra Could sing she would be perfect for that role.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#7Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:13pm

Love her! Not gonna lie, if this was an all black cast (or even if it wasn't, for that matter), I was rooting for Wanda Sykes. Even if they had to auto tune her voice. She'd be hilarious. But if this comes to fruition, I'd be equally excited...albeit for different reasons.

I don't know if she'd be one of my top picks for the role, but I have faith in her! She's usually always great! I'm optimistic.

Updated On: 6/12/13 at 03:13 PM

all that jazz
#8Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:14pm

I love the 80's movie, Ann Reinking was just perfection, as were Carol and Bernadette.

broadway guy
#9Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:18pm

"I love the 80's movie, Ann Reinking was just perfection, as were Carol and Bernadette"

The cast wasn't the problem, it was the structure of the film that sucked. John Huston even admitted saying he didn't like the song "Tomorrow" and tried to downgrade it as much as he could. I mean WTF???

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#10Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:20pm

She picks THIS??? Why not INTO THE WOODS?!?! Sandy, why?!?!?!?

Liza's Headband
#11Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake

The original film version of ANNIE was total and pure bliss.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#12Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake

I think Bullock can be hilarious but I don't think the kind of comedy she excels at is what works for Hannigan. All black or not, I thought Octavia Spencer would make a brilliant Hannigan, Kristen Wiig would be my second choice, with Melissa McCarthy a close third. I'd actually think Bullock would bring some much needed personality to Grace and she'd be a hilarious Lily, but not excited about seeing her tackle Hannigan, of course I'll still be there on opening night just based on the casting of insanely adorable and talented Quevenzhane Wallis.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

broadway guy
#13Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:22pm

"She picks THIS??? Why not INTO THE WOODS?!?! Sandy, why?!?!?!?"

^
Exactly.

Will42 Profile Photo
Will42
#14Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:22pm

'We really don't have a good Annie film which is surprising cause it would be a really easy show to put on film. Just don't screw it up!'

Well, they already did by offered the role to Bullock of all people.
She's a mediocre performer at best and it's a shame they couldn't get a real actress for such an iconic part. If they wanted an A-listed instead of a character actress why not offer it to someone who could actually act like, I don't know, Annette Bening, Glenn Close, Cate Blanchett, Renée Zellweger, Melissa McCarthy or Kristen Wiig. Emma Thompson, who wrote the screenplay would've been great as well. Or Toni Collette, but I guess she's not big of a name (even though it's essentially a supporting role).

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#15Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:25pm

She picks THIS??? Why not INTO THE WOODS?!?! Sandy, why?!?!?!?

When I saw the title of the thread, I remembered your idea to have her as The Baker's Wife. This may be second best... if "second" was 30 miles/years/galaxies behind "first".

She can act it, for sure. It's not the hardest to sing, but it's still substantial.

Will42 Profile Photo
Will42
#16Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:27pm

Octavia Spencer would've been awesome. Or Mo'Nique, Viola Davis or Queen Latifah for that matter.

FindingNamo
#17Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:34pm

Benjamin Stacks is a FANTASTIC name.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

beautywickedlover
#18Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:37pm

I don't recall Sandra ever singing in her career. In the animated film, 'The Prince of Egypt', her character's singing voice was done by a singer-songwriter named Sally Dworsky.

all that jazz
#19Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:38pm

Octavia Spencer would be amazing. I'd also love to see Kristin Chenoweth or Christine Baransky.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#20Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:42pm

Kate Winslet would be fun

broadway guy
#21Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 4:04pm

"it's a shame they couldn't get a real actress for such an iconic part."

...wow..

theaterfan862 Profile Photo
theaterfan862
#22Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 5:06pm

Sandra might okay but there are others who would knock it out of the park! I love the idea of Octavia Spencer and also of Christine Baranski!!! Christine would be amazing!

Caring Soul Profile Photo
Caring Soul
#23Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 5:31pm

won't this seem a bit racist instead of funny?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#24Sandra Bullock in Early Talks to Join 'Annie' Remake
Posted: 6/12/13 at 5:34pm

Nell Carter probably could have answered that question.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Videos