What should I see?

broadwayjunkie3 Profile Photo
broadwayjunkie3
#1What should I see?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 1:54pm

Coming into town the weekend of July 12th and have time to catch 3 shows. Thinking Matilda but after that not sure....any suggestions?

I tend to lean towards off-Broadway before Broadway. Last time I was there I saw Tribes, Bare and 27th Man and loved them all. Didn't love Giant. Awhile back saw Cock and loved that one as well. Obviously, I lean towards the dramas and rock musicals.

Would love any thoughts you all have.

Thanks in advance.

Megan

greengirl11 Profile Photo
greengirl11
#2What should I see?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 1:59pm

Buyer and Cellar is a great off Broadway show that I would recommend!

rorschach37
#2What should I see?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 2:04pm

Most of the shows I've seen from this season have closed by now, but I can tell you Alan Cumming's Macbeth is phenomenal.

jetts7 Profile Photo
jetts7
#3What should I see?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 2:29pm

You should see Kinky Boots! I was so surprised by how amazing it was. I would definitely recommend it!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#4What should I see?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 2:43pm

I'd definitely recommend checking out MURDER BALLAD. If you're into darker, edgy rock musicals, you couldn't ask for a more perfect fit. BUYER & CELLAR is one of my favorite shows from last season, and one of the funniest, so I would echo greengirl's sentiments. HERE LIES LOVE is an amazing experience, but I would imagine getting a ticket would be tough.

As far as more "mainstream" Broadway stuff goes, VANYA & SONIA & MASHA & SPIKE and PIPPIN are my two favorite play/musical productions that hit Broadway this past season. And THE TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL is a lovely production with a great leading performance from Tyson. Updated On: 7/1/13 at 02:43 PM

viola13
#5What should I see?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 2:46pm

I personally loved Murder Ballad, and it seems to fit a lot of your likes- off Broadway, rock musical, drama. It's closing the 21st, so you probably wouldn't be able to see it again, and it's easy to get inexpensive tickets.

Edit: lol, was typing before the post above me was posted.

Updated On: 7/1/13 at 02:46 PM

Wildcard
#6What should I see?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 2:52pm

Go see HERE LIES LOVE if you can manage to get tickets

PrinceCaspian Profile Photo
PrinceCaspian
#7What should I see?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 2:54pm

Here Lies Love at the Public Theater is AMAZING!

ARTc
#8What should I see?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 4:10pm

I too vote for, Here Lies Love, but sadly, it is highly unlikely that you'll be able to obtain a ticket.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#9What should I see?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 4:15pm

I think MURDER BALLAD is just what you're looking for based on what you like. Is HERE LIES LOVE really that hard to get tickets for these days?

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

ARTc
#10What should I see?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 4:23pm

From my understanding, HERE LIES LOVE, has a few balcony seats left before it closes at the end of the month. I haven't tried every performance, but all those I have tried show no floor tickets available.

somethininthestars
#11What should I see?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 4:54pm

Is HERE LIES LOVE still worth seeing even from the balcony?

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#12What should I see?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 7:51pm

Just echoing fellow posters' suggestion of "Murder Ballad" - seems right up your alley and is a great night of theatre.

Haven't seen it yet, but you might want to look into "Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812" to see if that interests you.

And, I will always recommend "Vanya and Sonia..."

broadwayjunkie3 Profile Photo
broadwayjunkie3
#13What should I see?
Posted: 7/2/13 at 11:32am

Thanks everyone!

Lot's of great recommendations.

I've already seen Murder Ballad (loved it) and Alan Cummings in Macbeth. Great ideas.

Think I will be checking out Natasha, Here Lies Love and a few others....love this board!

Cheers -

Megan

KathyNYC2
#14What should I see?
Posted: 7/2/13 at 11:44am

I'd go see Kinky Boots too. Not sure if tickets are available but so worth the time to go.

gchris11
#15What should I see?
Posted: 7/2/13 at 11:48am

you can rush Kinky Boots, Just get there EARLY!!! 3am.

Edit, I loved Murder Ballad, There are a ton of discounts for it.
There are also discounts for the Great Comet thing but all the ones I have seen are for like Wed matinees or Sunday 3pm show.
Updated On: 7/2/13 at 11:48 AM

Videos