Andrea Martin

Matt1
#1Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/5/13 at 5:34pm

I was wondering if anyone had information as to when Andrea Martin might be out of Pippin due to vacation? I heard sometime in August but can't find the actual information.

Matt1
#2Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/5/13 at 5:38pm

Any help would be appreciated! She is the only reason I want to see the show.

gchris11
#2Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/5/13 at 10:44pm

no idea. they do not usually release that info this far out

ahhrealmonsters
#3Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/6/13 at 1:24am

I don't know, but there are many more reasons to see Pippin aside from Andrea Martin. She's great, but she's not the only good part of the production.

ARTc
#4Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/6/13 at 1:26am

Yeah, but to command a standing ovation nightly in the middle of an act is pretty impressive. Ms. Martin is extraordinary. I, not for one, am very glad I saw her in this role. I will remember it always.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#5Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/6/13 at 3:20am

Plus she plays a rather small role, so if you are just going for her, then you will be bored through most of the show...

Darreyl with an L!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/6/13 at 6:43am

Well, that's not necessarily true.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#7Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/6/13 at 8:35am

Nor is it true that she "commands" a standing ovation every night...

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Alan Henry Profile Photo
Alan Henry
#8Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/6/13 at 10:09am

The audience went wild last night. She bowed twice. Updated On: 7/8/13 at 10:09 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#9Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/6/13 at 10:39am

I'm fairly certain she gets a standing o the vast majority of performances.

(Gosh, it must truly feel like failure when it doesn't happen.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#10Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/6/13 at 10:44am

The first time I saw it there was a roaring, 2-minute standing ovation, but when I saw it again the next week (albeit at a Sunday matinee) only me and a handful of other people stood for her.

Ya never know.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#11Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/6/13 at 11:25am

I was there last night. She was great but there was no standing ovation after her song.

And there doesn't HAVE TO BE a standing ovation after her song for it to be great.

This cult of the "Standing O" is getting in the way of appreciating good theater.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#12Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/6/13 at 11:29am

PJ, while I agree with you, you have to admit seeing a 66-year-old woman doing what she does warrants a reaction of that caliber.

FindingNamo
#13Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/6/13 at 11:49am

When I saw it there was an 18 and a half minute standing ovation, it was so long they brought out a slice of pizza for everybody which made them stop clapping so everybody sat down. It was awesome and if your audience didn't do that too it is very insulting to Andrea.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#14Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/6/13 at 12:04pm

I experienced something similar Namo. In fact, I'm actually posting from my iPhone because I'm still at the theater! We're in hour 240 of a standing O and counting.

....but the world goes 'round

#15Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/6/13 at 12:30pm

When i saw it, there was a pretty healthy ovation and a few people started to stand. Luckily the theater police were there and quickly settled people down and explained why it was not worthy of a standing ovation. A lot of people were clearly shaken that they almost applauded too much- who knows what would have happened?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#16Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/6/13 at 12:31pm

I've seen PIPPIN three times. The first time, there were a smattering of standees after her number. The second two: rapturous applause, but no standing. And as PJ says, there doesn't need to be. The narrative of "a standing O every night" is a creation of this board.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

FindingNamo
#17Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/6/13 at 12:35pm

I feel horrible for Andrea if those a-holes do not give her a standing O of at least 3 minutes duration. Why, the ushers should start it.

FindingNamo
#18Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/6/13 at 12:35pm

I feel horrible for Andrea if those a-holes do not give her a standing O of at least 6 minutes duration. Why, the ushers should start it.

Updated On: 7/6/13 at 12:35 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#19Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/6/13 at 12:52pm

Carol Channing used to have a husband whose sole purpose in life was to start standing ovations for her.

After 84 years of marriage, she divorced him.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#20Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/6/13 at 1:25pm

"sole purpose"?

Didn't they have sex twice in that marriage?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#21Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/6/13 at 4:06pm

If you call that "sex"...

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#22Andrea Martin
Posted: 7/6/13 at 5:05pm

***Shudders***

FindingNamo
#23Andrea Martin