pixeltracker

Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!- Page 3

Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!

carlodowd Profile Photo
carlodowd
#50Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/22/13 at 3:00pm

"Once More With Feeling" thats its name and I love the episode!

N2N Nate. Profile Photo
N2N Nate.
#51Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/22/13 at 3:35pm

My friend hates RENT cause he says it's just a story about losers who are too lazy to get a job. We differ greatly on that one.

So Lauren Bacall me, anything goes! *wink*

Liza's Headband
#52Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/22/13 at 4:25pm

I imagine your version take place in a circus.

N2N Nate. Profile Photo
N2N Nate.
#53Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/22/13 at 4:30pm

So Lauren Bacall me, anything goes! *wink*

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#54Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/22/13 at 5:37pm

The only dues you have to pay to be on Broadway are for AEA. Directors and producers can cast anyone they want. Fame was a popular movie, TV series, and a bad musical. Nothing more than that.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#55Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/22/13 at 6:08pm

No baby. To EARN a place on Broadway you gotta PAY in SWEAT. Hours and hours of hard work.

Christy Brinkley doesn't know from hard work.

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#56Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/22/13 at 6:13pm

A few people I know (aspiring theatre professionals) don't care for musicals because they think it sacrifices story for song. Which is true for some shows, but their total knowledge of musical theatre is extremely limited.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#57Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/22/13 at 6:17pm

No baby. To EARN a place on Broadway, a director has to cast you in a Broadway show. Directors and producers can cast anyone they want. Fame was a popular movie, TV series, and a bad musical. Nothing more than that.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#58Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/22/13 at 6:25pm

I've never seen Fame.

I'm just saying you gotta WORK to get on Broadway. No shortcuts, BABY! Otherwise you do end up with train wrecks like Christy Brinkley.

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#59Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/22/13 at 9:18pm

Hey lovebwy, did you hear about Oprah's performance in The Butler?

Updated On: 8/22/13 at 09:18 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#60Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/22/13 at 9:25pm

You're a troll because you call unspecified people "baby."

You're a troll because you set up straw men, like Christie Brinkley, and attack them, claiming that unspecified people on the board are defending them.

You're a troll because you unnecessarily use randomly chosen CAPITAL letters for EMPHASIS.

Liza's Headband
#61Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/22/13 at 9:31pm

It's also racist, PJ.

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#62Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/22/13 at 10:01pm

"Everyone likes musicals, they just don't know it yet." -Joss Whedon

With Irma you gotta do something!

Xman8 Profile Photo
Xman8
#63Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/22/13 at 10:30pm

I once knew a guy who hated musicals, he hated them with such a passion. His name is Constantine Maroulis, he decided to infiltrate his enemy by becoming part of them and sabotaging them. So when people go see musicals he's in they go home with a sour stomach and an extreme desire to deafen themselves. Evil man, he is.

PTOPhan Profile Photo
PTOPhan
#64Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/23/13 at 12:21am

I'm not sure I know anyone who actually hates musicals, but I have noticed that my husband seems bored by them.

If someone "hates" musicals it may be because of $200-plus ticket prices.

You alone can make my song take flight.

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#65Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/23/13 at 1:47am

"You put one of those phaggot CATS in a ring with Rowdy Roddy Piper and SEE who walks out!!!!"

This was actually screamed at me by a jock friend in high school, around 1984. I think what he didn't like about musicals is that they exist.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#66Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/23/13 at 2:00am

PalJoey, I'm very sorry you feel that way. I have lots to contribute here.

Mekroth
#67Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/23/13 at 4:12am

Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!

What is this "baby"?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#68Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/23/13 at 6:27am

Did Christie Brinkley suck in Chicago, yes. Did she bring in money for the production? YES.

The only thing that matters is the end result. (Well, and being a decent human being.) The only person you need to convince you 'earned' it is to the directors and producers.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#69Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/23/13 at 6:31am

I have lots to contribute here

Really? because so far all you've done is bash other websites and spout some racist sounding nonsense.

If that's what you call "contributing", no thanks.

....but the world goes 'round

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#70Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/23/13 at 7:06am

If a movie star was to audition for a show in the middle of a heatwave, would that be acceptable payment?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#71Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/23/13 at 7:24am

I still think it's hilarious that modern audiences have no problem seeing an action star doing things no human could possibly do, including being shot, set on fire, and hold their breaths under water for 15 minutes while being attacked by sharks and dodging torpedoes ... yet when someone opens their mouth and starts singing, they laugh and say, "That's just not realistic. People don't do that."

I also think it's hilarious that audiences can easily buy off on the idea of an 80-piece orchestra accompanying a battle in outer space between two alien planets, but they say, "That's not realistic," when people sing and music plays behind them.

It's one thing to say you don't like it. It's another thing to laughingly say it's not realistic when you accept so many other unrealistic things about the movies.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

dramamama611
#72Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/23/13 at 7:41am

I'll poke a hole in the music analogy -- we know the music is for our effect. We don't believe that the characters hear it. and if they did hear it, they would be able to get away from the bad guys because they'd have heard the music!

I DO understand the argument, it just pushes the suspension of disbelief too far for some people.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#73Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/23/13 at 7:48am

But they've decided where that line is drawn for the suspension. And it's hypocritical.

How about the action star who is shot six times and falls from a 40-foot building in one scene, and hours later, has no injuries other than a small scratch on his forehead?

No problem!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 8/23/13 at 07:48 AM

dramamama611
#74Share your stories of those you know that hate musicals and why!
Posted: 8/23/13 at 9:10am

I can't be offended by someone's choice. I just know MY life is richer for having musical theater a part of it.

When I was still teaching middle school (ugh) I had a tough kid make fun of one of my drama kids. (it was more of teasing than being mean) We had a little class discussion about what everyone did over the weekend: Go to the movies, listen to music...blah, blah....

I asked them to think about how the movie stars they watched or the singers they listened to got their start. When they were in school. Did they just think they woke up one morning and decided to give movies a try? Or walk into a studio being cool and recorded an album? You could see lightbulbs turning on all throughout the class.

Later that week, our musical went up. The tough kid went. On the following Monday, that same tough kid stoop up and said something like (to that same kid he had teased one week prior): Dude, you were funny!.

Ok...I've totally lost my reasoning for sharing that story -- when I started typing it, I definitely had a point. I think it had something to with being shown new ideas.
Well, its too nice a story not to leave up.

I've got Good Morning America on and since it's Friday, they have one of their Central Park Concerts on with The Wanted. 1/2 the audience is doing the same choreography and singing all together. Why? Because they are moved to do so. (or maybe asked/instructed to do so. So....it does happen. (At least chorus numbers!)