pixeltracker

Open post to the group from Texas at the 10/19 Kinky Boots- Page 2

Open post to the group from Texas at the 10/19 Kinky Boots

Liza's Headband
#25Open post to the group from Texas at the 10/19 Kinky Boots
Posted: 10/30/13 at 11:00am

"Huh? Has some of the original thread been removed? I fail to see anything said that even begins to condemn a whole state."

Errrmm....I'm guessing you failed to read Amoni's trolling hate of Texas as a whole. Because, ya know, generalizations are always safe bets and completely acceptable. Right?

Hank
#26Open post to the group from Texas at the 10/19 Kinky Boots
Posted: 10/30/13 at 12:00pm

"Texas was once an independent nation"... I wish they'd go back, and take Oklahoma with you.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#27Open post to the group from Texas at the 10/19 Kinky Boots
Posted: 10/30/13 at 12:00pm

"He thought Ted Cruz was the greatest statesman in the world..."

I couldn't read past that, my head just exploded. Texas is a horrible state in terms of their educational and correctional systems and the fact they are anti-gay, anti-woman, and anti-intellectual. I'm sorry you had to deal with such awfulness.

I'm not sure if their behavior was better or worse than the drunk guy at Cinderella who punched the manager. Both equally awful?

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#28Open post to the group from Texas at the 10/19 Kinky Boots
Posted: 10/30/13 at 1:04pm

I was once at a large gathering. There was this large group from Texas. They made sure to let you know they were from Texas too. They even kept waving a large sign to make sure everyone knew where they were from. Whenever something was being said they liked, they started yelling and screaming and cheering. And they acted like that the whole day. 3 days in fact. Ridiculous. I don't care if it was the Democratic National Convention, that's no excuse.

Seriously, a-holes come from every state. I've had plenty of people annoy the crap out of me during shows checking their phone, talking and screwing around with wrappers. I don't recall any of them wearing cowboy hats. This group just happened to be from Texas. The condemnation of an entire state of 26 million by some on here is getting a little carried away, no?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#29Open post to the group from Texas at the 10/19 Kinky Boots
Posted: 10/30/13 at 1:46pm

Texas is a horrible state in terms of their educational and correctional systems and the fact they are anti-gay, anti-woman, and anti-intellectual.

Conservative state politics are a bit different from everyday life. For example, did you know Houston has the first openly gay mayor in the US? And she's a woman. Or that of the 47 governors in the last 166 years, only 6 were Republican? And half of their total terms make up 1995 to present. Now, I do not agree with much of the conservative politics that gained control of the state in the Republican wave that started in the 80s, but "they" (I assume you mean "Texans") are not "anti-gay, anti-woman and anti-intellectual". The idiot Republican conservatives in Texas and many other states are.

After reading the latest rash of violence against gays in NYC, are we then to deem the state of New York is anti-gay? Or is it not anti-gay because it is in the small minority of states that legalized gay marriage. Or is both? What are the rules when making these generalizations?

The condemnation of an entire state of 26 million by some on here is getting a little carried away, no?

Absolutely. It's quite ironic that the condemnation we get of Texas and Texans is much in the style of a Fox News item.

Anyway, aren't all New Yorkers rude a**holes? And all Californians dirty hippies?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Christoph
#30Open post to the group from Texas at the 10/19 Kinky Boots
Posted: 10/30/13 at 2:35pm

As I initially posted, my issues were not against the State of Texas, but about the behavior of this particular group. I am completely aware that not all Texans act this way, which was why I specifically singled out the group that was at this particular show. No matter what region you claim as home, if you go out to the theater and speak in ear-shattering decibels to drown out all other sound, throwing out potentially obnoxious statements and then take the time to scan the crowd to see if you are making an impression, that is inappropriate theater behavior whether you come from Texas, New York, Florida or Sierra Leone. The fact that these people felt compelled to keep reminding us that they were from Texas while doing this was just part of their odious routine.

On a side note to Joekv99's reply, I am not a New York resident. I was actually born and raised in "the South" and live and work in the Maryland/Virginia area, all of which does not qualify me as a "Yankee". Or a "pitiful Yankee" as he so eloquently phrased it. So his unprovoked swipe at New York City and its residents has no personal bearing on me other than that he makes very quick, unfounded assumptions. You know what they say about assuming things, don't you, friend?

Updated On: 10/30/13 at 02:35 PM

TheatreKid3
#31Open post to the group from Texas at the 10/19 Kinky Boots
Posted: 10/30/13 at 3:10pm

I figured PattiLuponeFanatic RC in Austin, TX would have weighed in by now! Where you be?!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#32Open post to the group from Texas at the 10/19 Kinky Boots
Posted: 10/30/13 at 3:33pm

To clarify my remarks, I meant the idiot Republican conservatives in Texas, not all of Texas. I know a few people in San Antonio and Houston, and they are fantastic. Just the GOP and Tea Party situation down there is really scary.

Yes, rude people at the theatre come from all over the world.

Updated On: 10/30/13 at 03:33 PM

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#33Open post to the group from Texas at the 10/19 Kinky Boots
Posted: 10/30/13 at 3:49pm

"Errrmm....I'm guessing you failed to read Amoni's trolling hate of Texas as a whole. Because, ya know, generalizations are always safe bets and completely acceptable. Right?"

Uh, yes I DID read that silly generalization by Amoni. But I was assuming the post I was talking about was chastising the OP for such an unfair generalization. Are you saying that Mr Roxy was speaking about Amoni's comments and not the original poster? If so, then I am sorry I misinterpreted. But I honestly doubt that is the case.

emeraldmist Profile Photo
emeraldmist
#34Open post to the group from Texas at the 10/19 Kinky Boots
Posted: 10/30/13 at 8:59pm

As a Texan... can I just say that if anyone is willing to take in the jerks that the OP sat near... the rest of us will sell them to the first bidder and I will GLADLY throw in Ted Cruz! Every state has scum, the OP just got to sit near some of ours - Sorry!!!

And yes, as a whole - Texans are generally a loud and proud group - however most of us do know to keep that inside the borders.

Side note: as oasisjeff noted - one side effect of our "Texas-Pride" is that we do use Texas as an adjective, a lot! I was in high school before I realized that this was not a "thing" and that not all Americans called anything bigger than normal "Texas-sized".

BrerBear Profile Photo
BrerBear
#35Open post to the group from Texas at the 10/19 Kinky Boots
Posted: 10/30/13 at 11:30pm

As someone born, raised, and educated in Texas, but who escaped during my adult life, I apologize on behalf of my birth state.

Once a year I return to visit family, and I am reminded how easy it us for large tribes of people to convince themselves that they are successful due to some inherent superiority, and not because they happened to be located in a swamp with an abundance of oil.

Nonetheless, there are still good people there, and some great theater even. Send your heartfelt wishes to the Texans who have to put up with the types that you encountered on a 24 by 7 basis.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#36Open post to the group from Texas at the 10/19 Kinky Boots
Posted: 10/31/13 at 8:15am

It doesn't matter where in the world you go. All you have to do is drive a few miles out of a major city and you will find ignorance and backward thinking. I don't think the OP was angry with Texas as a whole, but with rude behavior.

I'm NC born and raised, left for 18 years to be in NYC area but I'm now back in NC. I'm sure many people think the entire state of NC LOVED Jesse Helms and think like he did. Let me assure you that is NOT the case!!!!! I'm not alone in being ashamed that he was a political representation of what our state is all about. I'm sure many Texans feel the same about Cruz.

". . . POP . . ."

Mister Matt
#37Open post to the group from Texas at the 10/19 Kinky Boots
Posted: 10/31/13 at 12:14pm

And Minnesotans about Bachmann. And Arizonans about Brewer. The list goes on and on.

mar6411
#38Open post to the group from Texas at the 10/19 Kinky Boots
Posted: 10/31/13 at 1:57pm

Pennsylvanians about Santorum. . . . .

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#39Open post to the group from Texas at the 10/19 Kinky Boots
Posted: 10/31/13 at 2:20pm

"All you have to do is drive a few miles out of a major city and you will find ignorance and backward thinking."

So all the forward thinking, intellectual elite live in the big city and all the gap toothed, slack jawed, yokels outside of it haven't got a complete brain between them, grouped together. Uh, no.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#40Open post to the group from Texas at the 10/19 Kinky Boots
Posted: 10/31/13 at 2:58pm

"It doesn't matter where in the world you go. All you have to do is drive a few miles out of a major city and you will find ignorance and backward thinking."

I've read that statement several times and for the life of me I can't seem to interpret it as saying anything other than "People who live in the big cities are intelligent and have forward thinking". Why in the world would anyone have to travel outside a big city to find ignorance and backward thinking?

Mister Matt
#41Open post to the group from Texas at the 10/19 Kinky Boots
Posted: 10/31/13 at 3:16pm

All you have to do is drive a few miles out of a major city and you will find ignorance and backward thinking.

Uh, you can find plenty of that well within any major city in any state, USA.

Liza's Headband
#42Open post to the group from Texas at the 10/19 Kinky Boots
Posted: 10/31/13 at 5:01pm

This thread is the definition of irony, as there is as more ignorance showcased here than in the theater on October 19. Jesus Christ.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#43Open post to the group from Texas at the 10/19 Kinky Boots
Posted: 10/31/13 at 5:06pm

Outside any major city you will always find a Dogpatch USA. Well gollleeeee & shazam per Gomer Pyle

Poster Emeritus