Great New Plays?

TheatreFreak05 Profile Photo
TheatreFreak05
#1Great New Plays?
Posted: 12/24/13 at 1:01am

Hello all!
I'm looking for some contemporary plays that are really current and age appropriate(ish) for college students. Preferably ones written within the last couple years. Anyone see any awesome premieres lately? Off-Broadway, regional, etc

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#2Great New Plays?
Posted: 12/24/13 at 2:58am

Are you looking got published work? Or plays obtainable from agents?

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#2Great New Plays?
Posted: 12/24/13 at 8:34am

The Flick by Annie Baker.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#3Great New Plays?
Posted: 12/24/13 at 2:24pm

Venus in Fur by David Ives

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#4Great New Plays?
Posted: 12/24/13 at 3:58pm

Seminar by Theresa Rebeck (It's not revolutionary, but it does a very nice job showing the emotions and identity of people.)

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#5Great New Plays?
Posted: 12/24/13 at 5:20pm

I'll second Venus in Fur, it's one of my favorite things I've seen in the past couple of years. Also, the characters are more in their 30s than 20s, but I love In the Next Room or the vibrator play by Sarah Ruhl.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#6Great New Plays?
Posted: 12/24/13 at 9:06pm

Seminar is dreadful. Speech & Debate is my favorite play ever and perfect for college students. Stephen Karam's other play Sons of the Prophet is great too.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#7Great New Plays?
Posted: 12/25/13 at 9:56am

BAD JEWS by Joshua Harmon is a fantastic quartet of twentysomethings.
I'd also add REASONS TO BE PRETTY, second SPEECH & DEBATE, and VENUS IN FUR.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#8Great New Plays?
Posted: 12/25/13 at 1:22pm

THE ALIENS by Annie Baker
HOT MESS by Ella Hickson
REALLY REALLY by Paul Downs Colaizzo
and I'll third SPEECH & DEBATE

TheatreFreak05 Profile Photo
TheatreFreak05
#9Great New Plays?
Posted: 12/29/13 at 12:15am

Oh sorry Broadwaybelter, I didn't see your post. Yeah, I'm looking for published plays. Just ones that have had recent premieres.

These are excellent suggestions everyone!