pixeltracker

Bridges of Madison County Previews- Page 9

Bridges of Madison County Previews

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#200Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/18/14 at 5:52pm

"Wow, that song makes me feel so warm and gooey inside. Need to see this show."

I had a really emotional reaction to seeing it in the theater last night. It's absolutely stunning.

center
#201Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/18/14 at 8:05pm

Sutton Ross (and other interested parties) - SPOILERS ahead:
Some of this is a bit hazy, so forgive me/fill me in if I've missed something or gotten something incorrect:
-I can't remember where the bath scene was, so this is probably not about the ending, but it's gone.
-Chiara's song is gone, as is Carolyn/Francesca reading her letter.
-Francesca and Bud now have an (or maybe two?) extended conversation about what's wrong with her, why she's acting so bizarrely, etc. when Bud + kids return. Francesca tries to deny it but finally "admits" that she's homesick. They argue and she says she has something to tell him, but they're interrupted by the kids' fight. Bud making them all go get ice cream is the same, as is their seeing Robert in the street.
-My memory is a little hazy here, but after Bud's funeral, I think Francesca gets a letter in the mail? Then there's a new scene where Robert enters stage right on a mini-set with a bunch of boxes. He's aged. He calls an assistant and they talk about how "she" (=Francesca) never did call the assistant asking about him. He then tells her he won't be taking anymore jobs and strongly hints that he's dying. He sings "It All Fades Away" here.
-Francesca goes to the bridge with the letter (from Robert) and reads it aloud. It contains a picture of her and professes his continuing love. The attorney finding her at the bridge is cut. Young Robert comes back and they embrace.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#202Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/18/14 at 10:53pm

It's the best score of the season, hands down. The only one that I could think that could come close would be Aladdin just because of it's catchiness.

As much as I liked a few songs, I thought Lutvak's was stronger. It served its purpose much better than in this one.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#203Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/18/14 at 11:09pm

To each his own. I thought the Bridges score was fantastic. I thought Lutvak's Gentleman's score was serviceable but that's about it.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#204Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/19/14 at 12:02am

Saw this tonight, and really, really loved it. IMO, Gentleman's Guide cannot stand up next to this at all. This is a far better score and production. I really enjoyed reading back through this thread to realize all the changes that have been made. Show still seems long though, but is truly just beautiful. Kelli O'Hara is stunning and gorgeous in this role. Steven Pasquale really surprised me! (in a good way). Some of the staging, while unique, is a little distracting and too free-flowing for it's own good at times.

While Im not sure if I'll make a return trip, I can't wait for the album. This is really excellent show!

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#205Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/19/14 at 12:23am

Just got back from Gentleman's Guide and have to say that score, for me, is much more memorable. I left that theater wanting to own those songs. I only felt that way about a select couple from Bridges. Yes, it was a beautiful score, but I agree with people who say they all have a very similar sound and blend into each other.

trpguyy
#206Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/19/14 at 12:40am

"...when you don't hear a single thing acoustically, only through amplifiers - I counted 5 string players in the program, but it sounded like more..."

HUH?! One of the very surprising things about the show was very acoustic it was, save for a few moments. For about 90% of the show, the band is barely in the PA, for better or for worse (I would have loved to be able to hear more of the signature JRB piano, or wish I didn't know there were two guitarists only because the Playbill told me so). It was refreshing to hear a contemporary score so un-amplified.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#207Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/19/14 at 10:05am

Perhaps you were sitting somewhere better; from orchestra side, all I heard were the amps.

trpguyy
#208Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/19/14 at 1:35pm

That's odd. I was front row mezz, all the way on the side, no more than 20 feet from the speakers ("amps" are in the basement, most likely). There wasn't a person in that theater who was sitting closer to the PA than me. The band wasn't in the mix.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#209Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/19/14 at 1:49pm

As Yul used to say, "is a puzzlement."

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#210Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/20/14 at 9:10am

So, according to USA TODAY, Bridges opened last night. Huh?

Hundreds gather for 'Bridges of Madison County' opening

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."
Updated On: 2/20/14 at 09:10 AM

neonlightsxo
#211Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/20/14 at 9:30am

Long story but yes- the press team and producers told everyone the opening was tonight (so the reviews would come out on Friday) but everyone was invited last night.

Lucy Harbin
#212Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/20/14 at 9:39am

Was this faux-opening-night thing planned from the beginning, or decided sometime since previews started?

And has any other show ever done this?

And are they giving any sort of spin or excuse, other than, "We're concerned that the reviews will be bad so we wanted to ensure that we could have a fun party without a pall being cast over it"? Not that they're not allowed to do it for that reason, but it seems like that would be awkward for them to say publicly.

neonlightsxo
#213Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/20/14 at 9:49am

Not sure if it was planned from the beginning.

They sort of did this with Glengarry last year, but not to the same extent. Haven't heard any excuse other than- we wanted to have the party and not worry about reviews.

center
#214Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/20/14 at 10:16am

Barring further information, I find this tactic to be incredibly, annoyingly manipulative.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#215Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/20/14 at 10:20am

I'm always fascinated by the opening-night-party-bad-review phenomenon; everyone is having a great time, and suddenly, with nothing seeming to be said aloud, everyone stops having fun (except the hard-core party-ers) and they all quietly duck out in an embarrassed gloom.

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#216Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/20/14 at 10:25am

I think it's actually a wonderful idea for the sake of everyone involved with the production, allowing them to celebrate their achievement without the weight of reviews hanging over the evening. I'm just curious if reviewers were aware that the "official" opening date (today) given to them was bogus.

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."
Updated On: 2/20/14 at 10:25 AM

neonlightsxo
#217Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/20/14 at 10:31am

Reviewers were not aware the Feb 20th opening date was bogus, which is why it's annoying.

center
#218Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/20/14 at 10:37am

I can absolutely see the positive benefits of having the opening night celebration without looming reviews. But regardless of when you decide to have the party, identifying a performance as being opening night and then specifically scheduling what is closer to an invited dress and publicly calling it opening night as well just seems disingenuous.

trpguyy
#219Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/20/14 at 10:40am

What's wrong with having a party the night before reviews come out? The show is frozen. Whether "celebrities" show up on Thursday or Friday, it's inconsequential.

theminutepast
#220Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/20/14 at 10:45am

I saw the matinee yesterday (now I know why they weren't selling evening rush).

I was underwhelmed by the score and the story. I've never read the book or watched the movie; I only knew it was a romance. I just didn't feel much heat or passion between Francesca and Robert. One minute they're making dumpling soup together and the next they're having an affair. Was their only connection a shared loneliness? Aside from the story, the music was pleasant but I don't remember a single tune or lyric.

My favorite parts were Kelli O'Hara's gorgeous high notes in a few songs and the ending from the ice cream shop scene to the finale.

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#221Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/20/14 at 11:01am

Now that it seems out and the open about last night’s “opening”, is there a possibility reviewers will post their reviews earlier than normal today (even before the show tonight)?

center
#222Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/20/14 at 11:48am

Ken Davenport's take on this in his blog:
The Producer's Perspective

mschwager Profile Photo
mschwager
#223Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/20/14 at 12:51pm

To me, this makes complete sense

Joviedamian
#224Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/20/14 at 1:03pm

I'm a little confused about the opening! Playbill.com shows on the main page the opening is tonight, but yet it looks like the opening was last night!