LOOKING

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#75LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 12:39pm

I don't have to watch the stinking pilot as I am already familiar with him and his body....of work.

I had no idea he was in this until PalJoey posted that pic.

LOOKING

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#76LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 1:32pm

Carlos, my complaint was mainly about the protagonist. The supporting characters are great and well worth watching the show, and as a fellow Latino who cares a lot about representation of gay Latinos on media, I can say it's definitely worth checking out. I don't know that I'm gonna stay for the entire season but it has some potential if they can manage to get away from some of the shallowness that ran through some of the episode.
Kad, I disagree with your take on how the date would have been handled in SEX & THE CITY. I think overall people tend to misremember that show; Carrie Bradshaw (at least in seasons 1-4) could be incredibly inept, unlikable, difficult, and self-destructive as much as she could be cute, prissy, entitled and ignorant, and I don't think the show ignored those traits. I didn't see much of a difference between Jonathan Groff's character and all those 90s/early 2000s romantic comedy heroines. Again, it's just a pilot, so we'll see what direction they take the character. Right now, I didn't see Groff's acting matching the naturalistic style of the rest of the cast and the character was a bit bland for my taste.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

CarlosAlberto
#77LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 1:35pm

"...and as a fellow Latino who cares a lot about representation of gay Latinos on media, I can say it's definitely worth checking out.

Oh, I had no idea! I also care about the representation of gay Latinos in media.

CarlosAlberto
#78LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 2:08pm

NEXT AIR DATES:

Tue. Jan. 21 9:30 PM HBO (400) Looking for Now (S1, Ep1)
Wed. Jan. 22 9:00 PM HBO (400) Looking for Now (S1, Ep1)
Thu. Jan. 23 12:30 AM HBO (400) Looking for Now (S1, Ep1)
Thu. Jan. 23 8:30 PM HBO (400) Looking for Now (S1, Ep1)
Sat. Jan. 25 12:30 AM HBO (400) Looking for Now (S1, Ep1)

Sun. Jan. 26 10:30 PM HBO (400) Looking for Uncut (S1, Ep2)
Mon. Jan. 27 12:30 AM HBO (400) Looking for Uncut (S1, Ep2)
Mon. Jan. 27 2:30 AM HBO (400) Looking for Uncut (S1, Ep2)
Mon. Jan. 27 10:45 PM HBO (400) Looking for Uncut (S1, Ep2)
Tue. Jan. 28 10:30 PM HBO (400) Looking for Uncut (S1, Ep2)

Wed. Jan. 29 8:30 PM HBO (400) Looking for Now (S1, Ep1)

Wed. Jan. 29 9:00 PM HBO (400) Looking for Uncut (S1, Ep2)
Thu. Jan. 30 12:30 AM HBO (400) Looking for Uncut (S1, Ep2)
Thu. Jan. 30 8:30 PM HBO (400) Looking for Uncut (S1, Ep2)
Sat. Feb. 01 12:30 AM HBO (400) Looking for Uncut (S1, Ep2)

Sat. Feb. 01 10:30 PM HBO (400) Looking at Your Browser History (S1, Ep3)

CarlosAlberto
#79LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 2:10pm

Interview with my baby-daddy, O.T. Fagbenle.
'Looking's O-T Fagbenle: HBO series looks 'beyond people's sexual preferences'

CarlosAlberto
CarlosAlberto
#81LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 10:27pm

I have finished watching the first episode with my room mate...We absolutely LOVE this show!!!! I cannot wait until the next episode!!!!

Master Bates Profile Photo
Master Bates
#82LOOKING
Posted: 1/21/14 at 11:58pm

I found it dreadfully dull and barely made it through the 29-minute show. I'm surprised HBO didn't show 2 episodes back-to-back to give people more to gauge interest and get them hooked.

I'll give it another shot to see if it picks up, but "Trick" seemed to do this much better.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#83LOOKING
Posted: 1/22/14 at 1:26am

I'm glad you came around Carlos LOOKING

I get why the show is polarizing--and why some people simply didn't feel anything happened (in one respect, I suppose that's true.)

I didn't really see any similarity in tone to Trick--but it's been a very long time since I've seen that (I have it on VHS somewhere...) I do agree though that the interesting thing will be to see where they do go from here--if anywhere.

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#84LOOKING
Posted: 1/22/14 at 2:06am

Courtesy of HBO's uploading the pilot to Youtube, I was able to watch this tonight. I enjoyed it. Definitely going back for more.

EricMontreal22
#85LOOKING
Posted: 1/22/14 at 2:25am

Like a lot of programming aimed at niche markets, some of the negative reviews in the press (which have been largely positive as per metacritic anyway) annoy me. Like, while I agree with the Boston Globe critic's take on the US Queer as Folk (though I was a big fan of the UK one) I sorta wonder what kinda gay show would appease him... (He found it "infuriating" http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/television/2014/01/16/looking-for-signs-modern-gay-life-hbo/Gs4eJ0yB0i7qlAohPofRoJ/story.html )

CarlosAlberto
#86LOOKING
Posted: 1/22/14 at 6:25am

I was literally yelling at the screen: "No! You don't do that!! @ the scene where Patrick (Groff) tells his date in the restaurant about his tryst in the park.

Updated On: 1/22/14 at 06:25 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#87LOOKING
Posted: 1/22/14 at 7:59am

That review is ridiculous. For a show he calls "infuriating," he sure backs off of that statement very quickly.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#88LOOKING
Posted: 1/22/14 at 9:47am

I knew you would like it.

Roscoe
#89LOOKING
Posted: 1/22/14 at 10:09am

"I was literally yelling at the screen: "No! You don't do that!! @ the scene where Patrick (Groff) tells his date in the restaurant about his tryst in the park."

Yes, me too. That's the one scene that felt off -- we've all had those dates that go very wrong very suddenly, but is he really that dumb? Groff managed to make it work, I think, but well...

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
Updated On: 1/22/14 at 10:09 AM

CarlosAlberto
#90LOOKING
Posted: 1/22/14 at 10:51am

I agree with you Roscoe. That scene didn't ring true to me. I don't know anyone, including myself who would disclose that kind of information on a first date with a potential boyfriend, unless of course that person just really didn't care what anyone thought and I didn't get that from Groff's character at all.

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#91LOOKING
Posted: 1/22/14 at 11:37am

Alcohol and nerves can give you diarrhea of the mouth. If I recall the scene correctly, from the expression on his face, Groff's character regretted saying what he had said almost immediately. The scene rang true to me.

CarlosAlberto
#92LOOKING
Posted: 1/22/14 at 12:14pm

You may be right Luscious. I'm going to have to re-watch it.

Nonetheless, I liked the episode very much. I'm looking forward to the next one on Sunday.

Roscoe
#93LOOKING
Posted: 1/22/14 at 12:16pm

Luscious, agreed, of course. It's mostly plausible, and it was well done enough for it not to be a deal breaker.

I went on a date with a guy who revealed that he'd done a surprisingly extensive google search on me, and he was blithely coming up with some rather detailed information about my parents, and he showed no awareness that that was a pretty creepy thing to do. There sure as hell wasn't a second date, and I changed every damn online password I had when I got home.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#94LOOKING
Posted: 1/22/14 at 12:18pm

Yeah, it seemed to me that it was played in such a way that it was a result of both nerves and a very bad attempt at a sort of ironic anecdote.

And it's still so early in the series- perhaps Groff's character just sort of self-sabotages himself? He seems to be a big dater but can't really commit.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

CarlosAlberto
#95LOOKING
Posted: 1/22/14 at 12:39pm

I went on a date with a guy who revealed that he'd done a surprisingly extensive google search on me, and he was blithely coming up with some rather detailed information about my parents, and he showed no awareness that that was a pretty creepy thing to do. There sure as hell wasn't a second date, and I changed every damn online password I had when I got home.

Roscoe, something very similar happened to me. It's scary.

@ Kad: My roommate mentioned something to that effect saying that he felt Groff's character likes the idea of being in a relationship but in the end has commitment issues which lead him to sabotage any possibility of even having one.

EricMontreal22
#96LOOKING
Posted: 1/22/14 at 12:58pm

"That review is ridiculous. For a show he calls "infuriating," he sure backs off of that statement very quickly."

Exactly. And his comments about it being straight out of Tales of the City and not realistic to a younger generation's experiences confuse me. I'm 33. The main night most of my friends like to go out clubbing is an 80s night so dancing to Erasure is not a foreign experience, and honestly most of my friends who are around my age have gone to a bath house at some point even if I don't think any of them do it regularly (or cruised a park just out of curiosity, something I admit I've never done.)

It just reads to me like another person complaining about a gay show being filled with stereotypes he can't relate to -- and yet at the same time he seems to be saying that it's not. *shrug*

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#97LOOKING
Posted: 1/22/14 at 1:02pm

I understand why some are bored by it. I wasn't. But the lengthy articles I've read about how boring it is kinda kill me. I mean...so many words on something you find boring?

EricMontreal22
#98LOOKING
Posted: 1/22/14 at 1:02pm

"And it's still so early in the series- perhaps Groff's character just sort of self-sabotages himself? He seems to be a big dater but can't really commit. "

A few critics and online posters have complained that nobody "as cute" as Groff would have trouble having a long term relationship. Which doesn't make sense to me -- I have plenty of friends I think are very attractive but don't know how to navigate a relationship, or haven't had any luck with one anyway. Besides, as you say it's too early to say from the pilot of an 8 episode, 30 minute season, that a character's motivation or backstory doesn't ring true.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#99LOOKING
Posted: 1/22/14 at 1:05pm

The majority of my gay friends my age have all remarked at how relatable the pilot was. While it certainly dealt in a lot of TV show character or plot tropes, it managed to avoid a lot of gay stereotypes. I thought, at least. Even its handling of the "in the woods cruise" managed to avert expectations.