Which Cast albums?

carlodowd Profile Photo
carlodowd
#1Which Cast albums?
Posted: 2/18/14 at 5:42pm

I’m just wondering what would be the best recording of these musicals, for people who are just being introduced to them Thanks.

Cats- OBC or 1981 Original London Cast

Man of La Mancha - OBC or 2002 Broadway Cast

Merrily We Roll Along - 1981 OBC or 1994 Off-Broadway Cast or 2012 Concert Cast

Company - 1972 London Cast or 1995 Broadway Cast or 2006 Broadway Cast

Edit: And why?? Updated On: 2/18/14 at 05:42 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#2Which Cast albums?
Posted: 2/18/14 at 6:00pm

OBC for all four.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2Which Cast albums?
Posted: 2/18/14 at 6:06pm

For Cats I think the Broadway cast recording is better than the London cast, but I would actually go with the original Australian cast recording. The show went through a lot of changes over the years and the Australian cast recording preserves those changes. "Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer" is the final duet version of the song with the revised music, different from the jazzy original on the London cast recording and "Growltiger's Last Stand" includes the Italian aria instead of "The Ballad of Billy McCaw" on the London cast recording. Also, the Australian cast recording is the only recording in English to include "The Battle of the Pekes and the Pollicles." It's not always easy to find, but you can get it used on Amazon for a good price.

carlodowd Profile Photo
carlodowd
#3Which Cast albums?
Posted: 2/18/14 at 7:16pm

Why all OBC Mister Matt??

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#4Which Cast albums?
Posted: 2/18/14 at 8:14pm

So much about MERRILY changed from the Broadway premiere to its subsequent productions that I would recommend the OBC AND an additional recording. I prefer the 2012 Encores! CD, but that's likely because I saw that cast live...I have and enjoy the 1994 recording as well. But those two are very similar, so you don't need both.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#5Which Cast albums?
Posted: 2/18/14 at 8:21pm

Agreed. The Encores one is a bit more complete and has great new orchestrations by Tunick so that would be my choice. I like the York cast, but the orchestrations are really dinky.

Do you already have the OBCR of Company? It's an essential cast album IMHO. I always thought the 1972 London cast was impossible to find now, has it been reissued on demand or something? Either way, you probably know it's the OBCR with Larry Kert's vocals slotted in instead of Dean's (you can hear an echo of Dean in the background) with only Barcelona and maybe Being Alive being new recordings--the Being Alive is a bonus track on the Company OBCR.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#6Which Cast albums?
Posted: 2/18/14 at 8:40pm

Cats None
Man- OBC

Poster Emeritus

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#7Which Cast albums?
Posted: 2/18/14 at 11:04pm

I'm not too familiar with CATS, but for the other three i definitely agree that you should go with the original Broadway casts.

Much as I love the new orchestrations on the Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG, I always find myself going back to the original version. I just like some of the old material better, and the cast is great.

I didn't see the revival of MAN OF LA MANCHA, but for me that recording pales in comparison to the original, which is pretty much perfect. The performances on that album are so good I never miss the unrecorded material included on the other recording at all.

Like EricMontreal said, if you don't have the OBC of COMPANY you've got to get that. One of the best cast recordings ever.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

MKunkel Profile Photo
MKunkel
#8Which Cast albums?
Posted: 2/18/14 at 11:28pm

Richard Kiley is phenomenal on the OBC of "Man of La Mancha". The last track on the recording: (Dulcinea (Reprise) / The Impossible Dream (Reprise) / Man of Mancha (Reprise) / The Psalm / Finale) is worth the price of the whole thing alone.

carlodowd Profile Photo
carlodowd
#9Which Cast albums?
Posted: 2/19/14 at 7:52am

Yeh my friend has the Original London Cast of Company and said i could have it if i wanted! Thanks for your help guys!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#10Which Cast albums?
Posted: 2/19/14 at 8:07am

La Mancha - OBC hands down.

Merrily - 2012 (most complete and it sounds terrific)

Cats - OLC

Company - OBC (still the best imo)

....but the world goes 'round

The Glenbuck Laird Profile Photo
The Glenbuck Laird
#11Which Cast albums?
Posted: 2/19/14 at 2:02pm

They are all good, big fan of John Power.

Try All Change

Updated On: 2/19/14 at 02:02 PM

neonlightsxo
#12Which Cast albums?
Posted: 2/19/14 at 2:05pm

The 2012 recording of Merrily is not to be missed.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#13Which Cast albums?
Posted: 2/19/14 at 5:40pm

Carlo, if he's offering the London 1972 (not 90s) Company, for free, than just get it. It's super rare and is basically the original, like I said. The way they place Larry Kert over Dean's vocals bugs me--especially on headphone you can hear Dean in the background--but Kert does have a more pleasing Broadway voice, though less of an intense performance. (The Broadway Cast on CD was remastered recently and is MUCH better sounding too--including "fixing" the opening busy signal which originally was in the wrong key.)

carlodowd Profile Photo
carlodowd
#14Which Cast albums?
Posted: 2/20/14 at 5:32am

Ya i ended u getting the London Cast album and its AMAZING!!!! I love it!

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#15Which Cast albums?
Posted: 2/20/14 at 6:53am

Every single one. You owe it to yourself.

carlodowd Profile Photo
carlodowd
#16Which Cast albums?
Posted: 2/20/14 at 12:02pm

^^^^^ haha I wish!