directing 2 shows in 1 season

HooferFrom42ndSt
#1directing 2 shows in 1 season
Posted: 4/14/14 at 4:56pm

I can only recall one other time that a director had two or more shows open on Broadway in the same season. The current season Susan Stroman had Big Fish and Bullets. Perhaps it would have been wiser to concentrate on one show a season and maybe the shows would have ended up being better. Hal Prince had three shows in one season, they all opened within a four month period. They were Roza, a revival of Cabaret, and Phantom. The first two did not fair too well and Phantom is - well Phantom. Can anyone recall any other examples? Any thoughts on this?

xxdrewboy85xx Profile Photo
xxdrewboy85xx
#2directing 2 shows in 1 season
Posted: 4/14/14 at 4:59pm

Most recent example I can think of is Jeff Calhoun had Bonnie and Clyde and Newsies in the same season.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#2directing 2 shows in 1 season
Posted: 4/14/14 at 5:00pm

Jeff Calhoun had also directed both Bonnie & Clyde and Newsies in the same season.

Updated On: 4/14/14 at 05:00 PM

Broadway61004
#3directing 2 shows in 1 season
Posted: 4/14/14 at 5:03pm

It's actually happened a whole bunch of times. Recent examples include Matthew Warchus (God of Carnage and The Norman Conquests); Jack O'Brien (Dead Accounts and The Nance); Joe Mantello (I'll Eat You Last... and The Other Place, as well as Assassins and Wicked back in 2004). And Stroman also did it back in 2000 with The Music Man and Kiss Me Kate. And I'm sure there are probably a lot of other examples.

HooferFrom42ndSt
#4directing 2 shows in 1 season
Posted: 4/14/14 at 5:05pm

Also, Bob Fosse directed Big Deal and the revival of Sweet Charity with Debbie Allen

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#5directing 2 shows in 1 season
Posted: 4/14/14 at 5:07pm

Kiss Me Kate was directed by Michael Blakemore. And he actually won two Tony Awards in 2000 for directing both Kiss Me Kate, and Copenhagen.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

HooferFrom42ndSt
#6directing 2 shows in 1 season
Posted: 4/14/14 at 5:08pm

Susan Stroman did not direct or choreograph the revival of Kiss Me Kate. That was Michael Blakemore and Kathleen Marshall. However, I think Contact opened the same year as The Music Man.

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#7directing 2 shows in 1 season
Posted: 4/14/14 at 5:13pm

(Already mentioned after sitting on drafts for a few minutes.)

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim
Updated On: 4/14/14 at 05:13 PM

Broadway61004
#8directing 2 shows in 1 season
Posted: 4/14/14 at 5:33pm

Sorry, that's what I meant--Music Man and Contact. And yes, Blakemore won both Tonys that year for Kiss Me Kate and Copenhagen.

HooferFrom42ndSt
#9directing 2 shows in 1 season
Posted: 4/14/14 at 5:38pm

Quite the accomplishment to win two Tonys in one year for directing a play and musical!

neonlightsxo
#10directing 2 shows in 1 season
Posted: 4/14/14 at 6:52pm

Kenny Leon is doing Raisin in the Sun and Holler if Ya Hear Me back to back as well.

nyla123
#11directing 2 shows in 1 season
Posted: 4/14/14 at 7:14pm

It happens all the time. Sam Gold did it last season with Seminar and Picnic (in addition to his myriad other major off-Broadway directing gigs that season).

ARTc3
#12directing 2 shows in 1 season
Posted: 4/14/14 at 10:45pm

Alex Timbers: Rocky and Here Lies Love. (Nothing in the subject line said, "Broadway" shows.)

ARTc3 formerly ARTc. Actually been a poster since 2004. My name isn't Art. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#13directing 2 shows in 1 season
Posted: 4/14/14 at 10:50pm

Diane Paulus directed Pippin and Oliver last spring and they were up against eachother for Best Musical Revival. (Nothing in the subject line said, “real” shows that exist outside of the SMASHiverse.)

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#14directing 2 shows in 1 season
Posted: 4/14/14 at 10:57pm

So both shows Joe Mantello directed won in 2004? Wicked and Assassins? Incredible.

Esther
#15directing 2 shows in 1 season
Posted: 4/15/14 at 11:36am

Won what? if you mean Tony Awards, Mantello won for directing Assassins & Assassins won Best Revival. He wasn't nominated for Wicked & Wicked didn't win the Tony for Best Musical.

He had won a Tony for directing Take Me Out the prior season.