Aladdin Best Score?

RSrichie Profile Photo
RSrichie
#1Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 12:30pm

How exactly was Aladdin eligible for Best Original Score Written for the Theatre? It's main lyracist has been dead for over a decade. There are four new songs in the stage show, which means 2/3 of the score was written for the film. Just asking.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#2Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 2:10pm

I guess they figured that the new songs made up enough of the overall score to deem it eligible.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 3:12pm

Score category needs to be changed.Original score does not mean partially original. This is a joke.If this beats Bridges it will be a travesty.

Poster Emeritus

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 3:16pm

The qualification is something like more than 50% must be new. (ALthough one poster here said 60%). According to the other thread about this very subject, most posters claimed that Aladdin more than qualified.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

RSrichie Profile Photo
RSrichie
#4Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 3:19pm

At least 2/3 of Aladdin was NOT 'Written For The Theatre'. If I was If/Then or Rocky, I'd feel unfairly eliminated from a Tony nom.

RSrichie Profile Photo
RSrichie
#5Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 3:25pm

There are 4 new songs composed for the stage show, the rest were composed for the film (a few not used but composed for the film) they can be found on the The Music Behind a The Magic CDs of unreleased/used Disney musical material. I don't see how the Aladdin score could be deemed 50% new for eligibility. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I like the show, just trying to understand the rules.

lambchop2
#6Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 3:31pm

I would assume that they are including the new music that takes its cue from previously written music as new. I wonder if they are even considering songs like Arabian Nights & Prince Ali new because they are quite different from the versions in the film?

Songs that are new for the show:

A Million Miles Away
Somebody's Got Your Back
These Palace Walls
Diamond in the Rough
Proud of Your Boy Reprise 1 + 2
Prince Ali Reprise 1 + 2
Finale Ultimo
Act One Finale (Arabian Nights/Whole New World)

Songs from the film:

Arabian Nights
One Jump Ahead
Friend Like Me
Prince Ali
A Whole New World
Prince Ali Reprise

Songs from concept/previously written music:

Proud Of Your Boy
Babkak, Omar, Aladdin, Kassim
High Adventure

RSrichie Profile Photo
RSrichie
#7Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 3:36pm

I see four new songs 'Written For The Theatre' not reprises or song's written for the film. Reworked songs from the film for the stage seems like a stretch to qualify a score as 'Original'.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#8Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 3:44pm

Basically people are paying Broadway prices for a live version of the movie.

This is what it comes down to.

This is a glorified Disney theme park show.

Original score ? It is a real stretch to say that. How much of Newsies was new? Did not think that was best score material that year.

Poster Emeritus

RSrichie Profile Photo
RSrichie
#9Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 3:47pm

I have nothing against the show, I'm looking forward to seeing it, I'm just trying to understand the validity of the Tony rules.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#10Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 4:02pm

I think they make them up as they go along.

Poster Emeritus

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#11Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 4:07pm

The "new" songs paled in comparison to the ones from the film anyway. In my mind, it shouldn't have been nominated for quality reasons, forget whether or not it's technically a "new score." And don't even get me started on that Best Book nomination...

RSrichie Profile Photo
RSrichie
#12Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 4:11pm

Quality aside, it's that "technically' question I need answered as to how it could possibly be deemed a new score when 9 out of 13 songs were written for the film NOT the theatre!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#13Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 4:24pm

Well I'm not sure any of us can definitively answer that without being on the nominating committee. I'm guessing the finale, the reprises, etc are also considered "new" as lampchop pointed out.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#14Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 5:29pm

It's main lyracist has been dead for over a decade.

Try 23 years.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#15Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 7:23pm

No matter what - He is still dead.

Poster Emeritus

rjm516
#16Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 7:28pm

I guess they were counting as new/original the songs that weren't actually in the film, even if they were written back then? Regardless, it's really unfair and I just hope that it doesn't win.

lambchop2
#17Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 8:00pm

They wouldn't have to include those three songs for the new material to be the majority, though. All that would need to be included were the newly written reprises, which were written for the theater and not film and would, presumably, thus be considered eligible.

It would mean 10 songs were written for the show, 6 are from the film, 3 were written for the film but never used.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#18Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 8:43pm

A reprise is counted as a new song?

By that logic, Bullets should be nominated as it has new lyrics to a number of songs.

Poster Emeritus

lambchop2
#19Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 9:03pm

A reprise is part of the score, yes. And the reprises in Aladdin were written for the theater and not for the film nor used previously.

"By that logic, Bullets should be nominated as it has new lyrics to a number of songs."

Were the new lyrics for Bullets included in songs which were written exclusively for the theater production?

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#20Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 9:38pm

I'm sorry, but why is this still a point of discussion?

It was nominated. Move on.

Updated On: 5/3/14 at 09:38 PM

RSrichie Profile Photo
RSrichie
#21Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/4/14 at 12:12pm

Because this nomination, on its face, seems so egregiously against the rules, that it seems unfair to those totally new scores who didn't get a nomination. This is the venue to discuss such things.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#22Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/4/14 at 12:25pm

I honestly hope it wins only because so Howard Ashman can be honored for his work.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#23Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/4/14 at 1:49pm

Even if it is not the best score.

Poster Emeritus

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#24Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/4/14 at 2:24pm

Ashman has been honored plenty of times for his work- and the work that has been honored is much stronger than Aladdin. And if this won, the subpar padding to the score would also be honored.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."