pixeltracker

Shootings! Shootings! Shootings! Today's and tomorrow's shootings!- Page 4

Shootings! Shootings! Shootings! Today's and tomorrow's shootings!

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#75today's shootings
Posted: 6/22/14 at 10:40am

Because I do think we should have the right to protect ourselves, especially at our homes. Carrying concealed weapons I'm more on the fence about.

I know we don't see stories like this as much but in this situation I'm glad the father had a gun in his house and I would want the same thing.

http://wtvr.com/2014/06/10/dad-shoots-kills-man-who-held-gun-to-teen-daughters-head/

I don't think banning all guns will be a solution Because the gangs are still going to get their hands on them.

I'm all for stricter laws on making the process of obtaining a gun as safe as possible but it's never going to be a perfect situation.

FindingNamo
#76today's shootings
Posted: 6/22/14 at 10:46am

"Carrying concealed weapons I'm more on the fence about."

Because you're in "The Middle," where forming an opinion and being able to articulate it while trying to take in new informations is just impossible.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#77today's shootings
Posted: 6/22/14 at 10:53am

"The majority of deaths caused by guns are gang related."

That isn't true. It's true that the majority of gang-related homicides are (unsurprisingly) caused by guns. But the majority of gun deaths are suicides.

"There were 1,824 gang-related killings in 2011. This total includes deaths by means other than a gun. The Bureau of Justice Statistics finds this number to be even lower, identifying a little more than 1,000 gang-related homicides in 2008. In comparison, there were 11,101 homicides and 19,766 suicides committed with firearms in 2011."

Even if those 1,800 gang-related deaths (and remember--not all of them were by gun) are included in the 11,101 total of homicides, it's still a small percentage.
HuffPo article

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#78today's shootings
Posted: 6/22/14 at 10:54am

Oh right, Matt, I keep forgetting about those pesky militias. So ubiquitous!

Broadway Joe, How do you compare one instance of someone protecting themselves by having a gun, to the everyday shootings and killings with guns? By you stating that guns will still be available even if outlawed, I guess you're saying we might as well keep letting people buy them.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

FindingNamo
#79today's shootings
Posted: 6/22/14 at 10:57am

You're asking him to go out on a limb and take a stance. I'm afraid that's not possible in "The Middle".

Broadway Joe
#80today's shootings
Posted: 6/22/14 at 11:10am

Reginald - do you think suicide rates would go down or would people go about suicide a different way if guns didn't exist?

A poster earlier posted about the man who went to a shooting range and committed suicide with a gun there. Problem with that is there are tons of people who will pass background checks that are still depressed or have mental health issues. I'm not sure how we can ever go about preventing issues like that.

Jane - I'm saying in a situation in one's home I do believe that we should be able to protect ourselves. Many years ago when I moved into a new place for work my house was broken in to. Thankfully I wasn't home that night because who knows what would have occurred if I was. Hopefully I never have that situation again but if I do i will protect myself.

I'm for stricter gun laws. I'm for every possible background check to make it as safe as possible for guns to be purchased by citizens. I never said we should let just anyone walk in and buy a gun.

Namo - when I said my views lie in the middle I mean I don't have a conservative or liberal view of looking at everything. Depending on what the subject is my view can either be conservative or liberal.

Broadway Joe
#81today's shootings
Posted: 6/22/14 at 11:10am

*double post Updated On: 6/22/14 at 11:10 AM

FindingNamo
#82today's shootings
Posted: 6/22/14 at 11:14am

Yes. I know that's what you're saying. And I am saying it's BS.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#83today's shootings
Posted: 6/22/14 at 11:16am

This could be fake, but still...rights and all

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#84today's shootings
Posted: 6/22/14 at 11:19am

Broadway Joe, I'm saying that the second amendment no longer applies to our world. Secondly, history has proven that the gun problem we have now has reached gigantic proportions and it's because of that amendment. Don't ignore the world around you because you like having a gun. or guns, who knows.

Broadway Joe
#85today's shootings
Posted: 6/22/14 at 11:26am

I'm not ignoring that gun control is a problem. That's why I've been saying we need stricter laws.

FindingNamo
#86today's shootings
Posted: 6/22/14 at 11:30am

Then I guess that makes you a hero.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#87today's shootings
Posted: 6/22/14 at 11:43am

BwayJoe, I have no idea what would happen to suicide rates if gun laws changed. I imagine that people who are determined to end their lives will always find a way to do it. I'm just refuting the notion that most gun deaths are gang-related.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#88today's shootings
Posted: 6/22/14 at 11:52am

^ And guns kill so instantly! Maybe if the suicidee has to take longer, they'll chicken out.

Broadway Joe
#89today's shootings
Posted: 6/22/14 at 11:55am

Yes you were right Reginald.

This is such a hard topic because I don't think it's ever going to really get solved. The NRA are a bunch of fools who don't want to give in to any regulations. At the same time I think the people who want all guns gone are just unrealistic.

I really have no idea how this situation will ever be worked out.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#90today's shootings
Posted: 6/22/14 at 12:00pm

Joe, you do realize that the longer this problem goes unchecked, the more likely it becomes that you yourself might be shot in the street. Just sayin'

Broadway Joe
#91today's shootings
Posted: 6/22/14 at 12:11pm

Again, I said there should be stricter gun laws and that it is a problem. I'm not opposed to it.

I just don't think banning all guns is a realistic situation because I don't see it ever happening. If we could live in a society that never needed guns I'd be for it but they aren't going anywhere so we need to try to make the laws as strict as possible to try to make sure that guns don't go to the wrong citizens.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#92today's shootings
Posted: 6/22/14 at 12:19pm

okay, I see that this is getting nowhere. Hence, the situation still exists.

I agree with Joe on one point- nothing will happen for a long time, if ever.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#93today's shootings
Posted: 6/22/14 at 1:30pm

Borstal,

That video is sad on so many levels. And it's what kids today are thinking! They can just go buy a gun, wave it around and demand 'respect'.

My brother put a hole through our TV set one day, when I was sitting in front of it, watching Starksy and Hutch. He then failed to graduate school on time, got a GED and spent his life in the military. I just saw him over Father's Day weekend and he's still an arrogant ****who thinks he's always right. And he owns more guns than any one person would actually need.

I'm glad I was born with a penis.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

FindingNamo
#94today's shootings
Posted: 6/22/14 at 7:33pm

Maybe comedy coverage from Second City is the way to go?

That Trump Tower sign in Chicago is so ugly. Also, a whole lot of people got shot last night.

Updated On: 6/22/14 at 07:33 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#95today's shootings
Posted: 6/22/14 at 9:58pm

Namo, that article made me really happy that people are still able to exercise their God given 2nd amendment rights before black obama takes them away forever.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#96today's shootings
Posted: 6/23/14 at 2:15pm

Jesus Loves Guns!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#97today's shootings
Posted: 6/23/14 at 2:21pm

Thank God He Was Able To Protect Himself!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#98today's shootings
Posted: 6/23/14 at 11:39pm

My friend just linked me this article, and I had just read a different one last month with the same guy in the most recent Bitch Magazine. There's alway so much talk about mental illness but so little about gender issues.
Fifteen years after Columbine, are we still asking the wrong questions?

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#99today's shootings
Posted: 6/24/14 at 6:32pm

Marching thru the Fifth Ward. There are simply no words.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali