pixeltracker

The Late Joan Rivers: 'Does this urn make my ash look fat?'- Page 5

The Late Joan Rivers: 'Does this urn make my ash look fat?'

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#100Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 12:49pm

Can we ignore IT? This is at least the second thread this week that I've read that was going fine until it showed up.
Honestly, I don't think Rivers--whether she's dead, dying or well--would want to be remembered any other way. I don't see any jokes on here that she herself wouldn't say. If anything, she'd probably be annoyed she didn't think of it first. I think her jokes are lazy, but once in a while she'll say something absolutely hilarious, it usually involves some version of referring to Lea Michelle as a cee you next Tuesday. Any updates on her condition?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#101Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 12:57pm

They still don't know when Joan will be brought out of the coma. This Daily News article from 12:03 mentions that doctors are starting to talk to Melissa about what the next step in Joan's recovery could be. But that's just a "source."
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS: Joan Rivers' daughter Melissa distraught as comedian remains in medically induced coma: source

FindingNamo
#102Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 12:59pm

The View clip PalJoey posted was hilarious and all the material was about Joan herself and the perils of aging. I just assume the clip ends where it does but that her material then veered in the direction of mean things about real people?

I think she was at her best when she created characters to make fun of. I'd much rather hear about that cheap tramp Heidi Abramowitz than for her to find any reason to call the President gay and his wife transgendered. But I think the personal attack stuff was intoxicating and lucrative in the early-'80s and since she managed to slog on 30+ more years, what else was there for her to do but just get meaner and meaner.

Carlin got meaner and more misanthropic toward the end too. It's sad, and I don't think it has to be that way.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#103Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 1:04pm

I never liked when she made fun of people as I never find that funny unless it is done with love like Forbidden Broadway. When I met her, I was terrified actually. I thought she would be very mean but she was very sweet and kind.

Don't wish bad on anyone who is sick. It is pure evil. I was upset when she made fun of Elizabeth Taylor's weight being a larger woman who has struggled with weight issues I thought it was in bad taste but I would never wish bad things to happen to her and after meeting her at a few parties I realized it is all an act and she is a good person.

I wish her well and a fast recovery.

Updated On: 8/29/14 at 01:04 PM

FindingNamo
#104Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 1:07pm

Nobody is wishing bad things to happen to her. Bad things HAVE happened to her.

Although I recognize that I am dooming my own karma by titling this thread the way I did, but it felt like such a Joan thing to do.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#105Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 1:11pm

When she had her fashion show I was hoping she would give me a full makeover. I told her my experience working for a fashion company and she told me I was beautiful and didn't need a makeover. It made my year.

FindingNamo
#106Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 1:17pm

Sigh. So that makes calling Michelle Obama transgendered all right?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#107Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 1:18pm

Carlin got meaner and more misanthropic toward the end too. It's sad, and I don't think it has to be that way.

A lot of things are sad and we wish they didn't have to be that way. But they are.

And then we die.

So lighten up and laugh at why Joan hates Glee:

The other thing that bothers me about "Glee" is that everyone in that high school is happy, even the homos. On "Glee" all the homo kids are smiling and giggly and they spend every day singing in the halls. When I went to high school the homos spent most of their days hiding in their lockers crying. If I came home from school and sang to my mother she would have slapped me in the face and said, "Stop singing! You're Jewish! Everyone hates us."

FindingNamo
#108Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 1:24pm

I don't find the "homo" stuff funny. How did she resist talking about the colored kids on the show?

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#109Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 1:46pm

I don't like any comedy that puts people down. I did not appreciate John Simon's reviews when he talks about looks either.

Forbidden Broadway did it in a nicer way.

FindingNamo
#110Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 1:53pm

Right. So, that's my point.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#111Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 2:06pm

"When she had her fashion show I was hoping she would give me a full makeover."

She's a comedian, not the Wizard of Oz.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#112Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 2:44pm

Yeah, that's the Joan Rivers brand of unnecessary and unprovoked cruelty that I find unfunny. And why I loathe the woman.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#113Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 2:46pm

Some of her jokes do go too far, but it's the rest of them I love.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#114Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 4:25pm

As the surgery[plastic] increased, so the acid tongue became more personal and cruel. I feel once the 'real' person disappears behind layers of plastic [like wearing a mask or drag] we can become someone totally different and don't feel responsible for our actions as thy belong to that other person who no one can see.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#115Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 5:06pm

First of all-thanks Pal Joey for all the awesome clips and posts. I send Joan all the love in the world.

Second, in today's over-PC world I find Joan's humor vital and necessary. Everyone speaks in a disgusting sanitized way today for fear of getting in trouble.

Joan's humor is like Sarah Silverman's-its so rude and offensive that is actually hits a level of being absurdly untrue. I see it as more ridiculous than mean.

Like most comedians Joan has the biggest heart in the world and gives her all to her family and to charity. She collects "strays" on holidays and invites anyone who has nowhere to go. Also, her humor has always made herself target #1. She doesn't spare herself.

Also, she is making fun of celebrities, who since the beginning of time have been the fodder for comics. Number one, they don't pay her any mind and if they do, then they need to get better at being a celebrity.

I wish her a speedy recovery and her family peace of mind and heart.

Oh and for those bitching about Melissa's talent level and career-Melissa will not have to work in this or her next lifetime. Joan has her and Cooper set for life. That's how much Joan cares-she has amply provided for them.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#116Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 5:42pm

Her jewelry line has had over $300 million in sales through QVC, so I wouldn't worry about Melissa and Cooper.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#117Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 6:00pm

well said, Betty

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#118Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 6:10pm

Oh, Sam. I would not talk about looks.

FindingNamo
#119Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 6:57pm

Sweet Lips's analysis is one I've never thought of before.

I've seen plenty of coca go too far and I've watched live and in person as Louis CK recalibrated himself after going right over the edge. He brought himself back and didn't have to scream at the audience for being too touchy. That's what Joan sucks at the worst.

nasty_khakis
#120Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 8:03pm

Melissa is actually worth more than Joan, I believe. Edgar had lots of investments and family money he left all to her.

You have a right to not like celebrity "put down" type of jokes, but Joan's WERE with love. She called Cher a tramp, dates embroys, etc etc but Cher was always made sure she only did the Tonight Show when Joan was hosting. She's honestly friends with a lot of the people in her act.

Her Elizabeth Taylor fat jokes were more of a comment on how the most glamourous and gorgeous woman in the world slipped up and is now more human and how men STILL went gaga over her. It was a way of making us all feel better that this goddess wasn't perfect. Joan asked Roddy McDowall if her jokes ever actually hurt Elizabeth and she replied "Tell Joan they don't hurt me where I live." If you listen to her standup, Joan calls herself old/fat/unsexy/saggy/plastic as much as she says it about anyone else.

I fully admit she's gotten harsher as she's aged, but so did Carlin, so has Rickles, so has Cosby.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#121Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 8:10pm

khakis, I don't even think you have to explain or defend Joan's jokes. the celebs who are the brunt of them don't mind, so if anyone else does, that's their own problem.

Each to his own.

FindingNamo
#122Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 8:26pm

Well, except for the ones who do mind and who say so and then Joan says to them or to a camera, "Oh you don't mind. You're rich! What do you care!?" If Joan were secure in what she does she wouldn't be do frigging thin skinned over the slightest criticism of it. I don't believe for a New York minute she called the president gay or the First Lady transgendered from a place of "love," towards gay people, transgendered people, or the first couple.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#123Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 9:07pm

"I don't believe for a New York minute she called the president gay or the First Lady transgendered from a place of "love," towards gay people, transgendered people, or the first couple."

She doesn't have to be coming from a place of love. It's a show. All show biz people are putting on "shows." I think the difference between me and you is that you seem to look beyond the show and into the real person. I think it's necessary to separate an artist from their art. Do you think Don Rickles meant every thing he said to and about people in his act?

Surely you can't be serious about judging actors real lives by what they put forth on stage?

FindingNamo
#124Karma stops Joan Rivers's breathing
Posted: 8/29/14 at 10:08pm

I was responding to nasty khali's assertions that Joan' put downs were with love

I think they're loaded with her mean spiritedness. And you're right Jane, the offstage thing doesn't interest me but post after post says how lovely and gracious she is, OFFSTAGE. And why is it that when celebrities call her out for her cruelty, it's their problem, according to Joan and her defenders???

Updated On: 8/29/14 at 10:08 PM