pixeltracker

Downton Abbey Series 5 Discussion with Possible/Probable Spoilers- Page 3

Downton Abbey Series 5 Discussion with Possible/Probable Spoilers

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#50Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 11/3/14 at 1:46pm

^ Yeah, I don't see that as likely, but maybe I'm wrong. Especially as there's only one episode left of the season. (Right?)

I've stopped caring about Edith and her child. I should probably feel some empathy, but whatever. I'm over it. The little girl who "plays" Marigold is so bad too, always looking gormlessly off to the side.

Lady Mary is beginning to grate too, with her ever-increasing Kim Cattrall-esque line deliveries and snooty sighs.

The highlight for me this season has been the double act of Maggie Smith and Penelope Wilton. They've always been great, of course, but they've been extra-special this season, I think.

Violet's new maid will play a larger part in proceedings at some stage I'm guessing - it's a tiny part for Sue Johnston otherwise.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Gothampc
#51Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 11/3/14 at 2:22pm

I think there's one more episode and then the Christmas Special.

I imagine the Christmas special will be a wedding. Maybe a double wedding?

Obviously Sybil's child is the best of the child actors because you never see an actual scene with Mary's child. Even Edith's child gets more screen time than Mary's child.

I also think that Maggie Smith and Penelope Wilton have been the most interesting pair. I wish Fellowes had given them a bit better quality of writing. He seems to be slipping with Maggie Smith's acerbic wit and Penelope Wilton's rebellion against the way things have always been done.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#52Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 11/3/14 at 2:27pm

Lady Mary is beginning to grate too, with her ever-increasing Kim Cattrall-esque line deliveries and snooty sighs.

NAILED IT!

I am guessing they brought Anna into the storyline because she found the picture beneath Edith's pillow and took it to Mrs. Hughes. They would just go away, otherwise.

Violet and Isobel have always been the best couple on the show, but this year they have been particularly wonderful. I have never loved Isobel, but this season she has been lovely.

SPOILERS:

This is Maggie Smith's final season, correct? Surely they aren't going to send Violet somewhere, are they? They would almost have to kill her off. Are they going to do that on the Christmas special?!

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#53Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 11/9/14 at 11:51am

^Where did you hear it's her last season? I haven't heard that.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#54Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 11/9/14 at 9:57pm

All done to the Christmas episode now. Nothing earth shattering happened tonight. Other than the Anna/Bates thing hopefully reaching some conclusion.

Probably the weakest series so far. But a weak series of Downton Abbey is still pretty good to me. Downton Abbey Series 5

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#55Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 11/9/14 at 11:55pm

I kind of wish Anna'd done it. Not that I want her to get convicted of it, I just think it'd be kind of badass.

Gothampc
#56Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 11/10/14 at 11:36am

I dunno, that last episode opened too many doors when it should have been completing story lines. Unless they are going to wrap those things up in the Christmas episode. It seemed like a very choppy episode.

And the sniping between Mary and Edith is tiresome. Especially when Edith can move to London and have a career.

And I'm getting a bit tired of Branson saying "Well, I'm leaving. Well, I'm going to Boston." So go already and stop spending every episode talking about it.

My understanding is that they want two more seasons, but the plots are beginning to wear thin. Everyone is already talking about leaving (Several mentions about moving to London or retiring or big houses aren't hiring staff anymore). 15-16 more episodes of "We're going, but not yet"?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

degrassifan
#57Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 11/11/14 at 11:43am

I love Rose and Atticus! Probably my favorite couple! They really suit each other.

Bluemoon
#58Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 12/22/14 at 1:45pm

The Downton Abbey Christmas skit aired last night in the UK. It's part of a fundraiser called TEXT SANTA. Very funny!
Featuring George Clooney as Lord George Oceans Gravity.

Gothampc
#59Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 12/26/14 at 11:43am

I thought the Christmas episode was just so-so. The Bates storyline was just stupid.

I don't like that Fellowes opens storylines and then finishes them off 15 seconds after they are opened. Everything seems so slap-dash with him. I love the moment where Mary, Edith and Branson come together to remember Sybil, but it gets immediately cut off. A beautiful setup with no payoff.

Alun Armstrong always gives a top notch performance and he didn't disappoint in this episode.

Fellowes doesn't seem to know what to do with the Granthams anymore. Has he grown bored with them?

Bluemoon
#60Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 12/26/14 at 12:25pm

I agree and I thought all that could be said for the whole season. Yet, I love they characters so much that I'm willing to watch story lines plod along (or disappear) just to watch them. The Bates' storyline makes no sense at all. What a hoax to play on the viewers.

Is Leech leaving the series? I have to admit that the engagement was the highlight of the season for me.

Updated On: 12/26/14 at 12:25 PM

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#61Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 12/26/14 at 5:57pm

No idea if Allen Leech is leaving, although I really hope not. Although speaking of casting news, what about Matthew Goode? I haven't actually seen the episode, just read reviews (US viewer here, but not too picky about spoilers), but it seems they're setting him up as yet another post-Matthew suitor for Mary. But he's a series regular on The Good Wife, and I assume that contract takes priority?

And speaking of Goode on TGW and DA, he seems to be making a habit of playing love interests for leading ladies after their "true loves" die!

Gothampc
#62Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 12/26/14 at 6:42pm

"I haven't actually seen the episode, just read reviews (US viewer here"

You can watch on the ITV website using the Hola plugin.

JerseyGirl2
#63Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 12/27/14 at 4:57pm

We kept waiting for something horrible to happen. We had to laugh at each other because we were on the edges of our seats. I loved Mr. Carson & Mrs. Hughes. Absolutely adorable.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

ArtMan
#64Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 1/12/15 at 7:25am

Boy, these episodes really drag. For those that have already watched it, does the season get any better? Last nights episode wasn't even a full hour and it seemed like two hours.

ArtMan
#64Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 1/12/15 at 7:25am

Double post

Updated On: 1/12/15 at 07:25 AM

JerseyGirl2
#66Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 1/12/15 at 7:31am

Honestly, not a lot happens this season. It sort of runs in place. There are one or two interesting plots, but it's not my favorite season.

Bluemoon
#67Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 1/12/15 at 10:32am

Agreed. The entire season feels more like a "place holder" - for what, I'm not sure. My husband, who has not seen this season yet said, "Well, they're obviously taking their time getting started because they're setting us up for some big events." Since he doesn't like spoilers, I muttered, "Don't count on it."

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#68Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 1/12/15 at 11:50am

I was half-sloshed when I watched it, and I know I'm late, but did a third potential suitor for Mary show up in the Christmas special? I mean, two was bad enough. It doesn't help that they are completely interchangable. I know Matthew Goode is on The Good Wife, so maybe he won't be back.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Gothampc
#69Downton Abbey Series 5
Posted: 1/12/15 at 2:42pm

"For those that have already watched it, does the season get any better?"

Nope. If you've seen the first episode, you've seen it all. It does not get any better. I think you can pretty much figure out each character's story arc for this season. I think anyone who posts on this board could think up better stories than what Fellowes has written.