pixeltracker

Sideshow-Who Will Love Me As I Am - Page 2

Sideshow-Who Will Love Me As I Am

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#25Side Show-Who Nobody Will Love Me As I Am
Posted: 9/23/14 at 4:15pm

Standbys were Kristen Behrendt and Lauren Kennedy.

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#26Side Show-Who Nobody Will Love Me As I Am
Posted: 9/23/14 at 6:39pm

Well, if you like that, that is pretty much what the entire show sounds like. You'll have a good time. I found it a little lack luster and lost interest as the show went on. To me the leads duets all sounded the same.

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#27Side Show-Who Nobody Will Love Me As I Am
Posted: 9/23/14 at 7:18pm

They sound... Safe. Much like the rest of the production, there's no raising of the stakes by anyone in this show.

OTOH, these two killed it. This is a superb performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9IqsC5hc_Q

Updated On: 9/23/14 at 07:18 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#28Side Show-Who Nobody Will Love Me As I Am
Posted: 9/23/14 at 7:35pm

I love the originals, but there's a portion of the song that is virtually a scream-fest. The new version might need to find a middle ground...a little too safe perhaps?

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#29Side Show-Who Nobody Will Love Me As I Am
Posted: 9/23/14 at 7:45pm

I'm not at all a Side Show fan but I love the score and this song. Padgett and Davie certainly have lovely voice (Freudian slip singular). But this recording sounds very bland to me, lacking the orchestral drive, dramatic tempo and the heartbreaking passion and soul Emily and Alice brought to it.

strong stuff Updated On: 9/23/14 at 07:45 PM

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#30Side Show-Who Nobody Will Love Me As I Am
Posted: 9/23/14 at 7:57pm

Alice Ripley sounded fantastic back in those days.

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#31Side Show-Who Nobody Will Love Me As I Am
Posted: 9/23/14 at 10:40pm

Did the standbys get to go one much in the original? I remember Emily having issues.

Regarding Alice I see her heading more and more into Betty Buckley territory.

Up In One

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#32Side Show-Who Nobody Will Love Me As I Am
Posted: 9/23/14 at 11:57pm

Lauren Kennedy went on for Skinner a lot. I recall it being something like a third of the run, but that might be exaggerated.

Ripley missed one performance- the day before they recorded the cast recording.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#33Side Show-Who Nobody Will Love Me As I Am
Posted: 9/24/14 at 12:33am

Go big or go home Sideshow. Side Show-Who Nobody Will Love Me As I Am

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#34Side Show-Who Nobody Will Love Me As I Am
Posted: 9/24/14 at 12:55am

One of the popular SIDE SHOW bootlegs on Youtube is of Ripley & Kennedy.

They sound fine. Just fine. I'm sure seeing the entire production would make the performance stronger, but the intentions don't come across any anything other than 'wah love me' on this recording.

Part of what made SIDE SHOW a cult hit is those unabashed vocals from Ripley & Skinner, who sell even the most absurd of numbers like 'Tunnel of Love'. This production may receive better reviews & be more successful (I hope it is! The show deserves it), but I'll stick to the Ripley/Skinner recording.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#35Side Show-Who Nobody Will Love Me As I Am
Posted: 9/24/14 at 1:04am

I never understood the hate for "Tunnel of Love". Is it the camp? I always thought it brought out what was happening well. But then again, I like "Do Me A Favor" from the original Carrie.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#36Side Show-Who Nobody Will Love Me As I Am
Posted: 9/24/14 at 2:20am

Sally, I LOVE 'Do Me A Favor' so you're not alone

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards