Gotham

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#25Gotham
Posted: 10/2/14 at 10:34am

I liked the pilot a lot but I really hated the second episode. I know she is loved around here but I thought Lili Taylor was horrible. I felt like I was watching villans from the 1960's Batman series. The tone is really uneven. I may give it a couple more episode but if it doesn't improve I will definitely let it go.

Updated On: 10/2/14 at 10:34 AM

javero Profile Photo
javero
#26Gotham
Posted: 10/2/14 at 11:24am

"What was with the kid snatchers who dressed like they escaped from a 50s movie?"

I'm really struggling with the retro-modern setting. I watched two episodes now looking for clues as to the social mores, wardrobe, public events, slang, and prevailing sentiment of some era, any era, and they're neither present nor consistent to me. I'll tune in to another episode before making the decision to stick around or bolt. Perhaps I'm simply not sophisticated enough to appreciate the series.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
Updated On: 10/2/14 at 11:24 AM

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#27Gotham
Posted: 10/2/14 at 11:40am

I don't think of the tone as uneven so much as 'off-kilter'. I kinda love the mashing of the Nolan and Burton Batman worlds. I'm entirely entertained by the grit living alongside the camp. It may not work for me for long, but it's working for me now.

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#28Gotham
Posted: 10/2/14 at 11:55am

I'm with Tom. I've yet to see Lili Taylor give a performance I like. I actually like her in interviews, but not as an actor.

I think the costumes were intentionally affected, though. They were working for The Dollmaker. My guess is they're going with the New 52 version if he shows up: a surgeon who makes realistic dolls out of human skin. Hence needing young, healthy children.

This turned from genuinely enthusiastic for the show to cackling at it like Nip/Tuck real quick.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#29Gotham
Posted: 10/2/14 at 12:10pm

Oh, I know about the Dollmaker. That's why I didn't get why, as someone said above, they seemed straight out of 1960s Batman series--and yet discussed killing a room full of children and flushing down their bodies. I would be much better with Burton-esque camp.

beautywickedlover
#30Gotham
Posted: 10/7/14 at 10:51am

I didn't think this episode was as good as the last two. This review hit the nail on the head.

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/gotham-balloonman-210162

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#31Gotham
Posted: 10/14/14 at 8:41am

Are they gonna bring every villain into this over the next few weeks?

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

beautywickedlover
#32Gotham
Posted: 10/14/14 at 10:35am

I'm rapidly starting to lose interest in this show. Once again, A.V. Club was right about last night's episode. It is a shame because the pilot was promising, but the following episodes have gone downhill.

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/gotham-arkham-210451

Updated On: 10/16/14 at 10:35 AM

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#33Gotham
Posted: 10/14/14 at 12:44pm

^^ I have to agree. The pilot was strong, and last night's episode was decent. But there are just one too many poor choices in plotting, dialogue, etc. I will continue watching for a few more weeks, hopefully things improve.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#34Gotham
Posted: 10/15/14 at 11:18am

Tried it but didn't like it so I'm moving on.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#35Gotham
Posted: 10/17/14 at 8:24am

I am not loving it, but I am now wanting to do shameful things to Fish Mooney, so I watch.

The kid playing Cat/Selena is absolutely beautiful. Jesus. She was born in 1999. That will kick you right in the grey hair.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

beautywickedlover
#36Gotham
Posted: 1/5/15 at 3:41pm

Entertainment Weekly hit the nail on the head.

The failings of 'Gotham'