pixeltracker

How Miss Hannigan SHOULD be done!- Page 2

How Miss Hannigan SHOULD be done!

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#25How Miss Hannigan SHOULD be done!
Posted: 9/25/14 at 8:50pm

I have a problem with him still looking quite feminine in the role. I have played this role in drag but I played it as slightly masculine and incredibly disgusting. The only reason for this role to be given to a man would be if there just wasn't a woman who could play her nasty enough.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#26How Miss Hannigan SHOULD be done!
Posted: 9/25/14 at 8:53pm

Call me old fashioned but I just think Miss Hannigan should be played by a woman. I have nothing against drag shows, but Annie ain't a drag show.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#27How Miss Hannigan SHOULD be done!
Posted: 9/25/14 at 8:56pm

It feels to me as if they're trying to go the Trunchbull route.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#28How Miss Hannigan SHOULD be done!
Posted: 9/26/14 at 1:50am

How is it selfish of him? Did he come in and steal the role from a woman who played it better? This is just one production.

Mrtrobz
#29How Miss Hannigan SHOULD be done!
Posted: 9/26/14 at 10:46am

Trunchbull plays up the rough manly aspect of the role in my opinion. I imagine Craig will be more feminine as he is already camp as chrismtas. :p

homeimp
#30How Miss Hannigan SHOULD be done!
Posted: 9/28/14 at 11:00am

Think of how Ethel Merman would have played the role. I believe that's how Miss Hannigan should be played. That being said, I guess I'm one of the few who liked Katie Finneran in the role. I dislike Miss Hannigan being played as too much of a cartoon. I lose interest in her.

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#31How Miss Hannigan SHOULD be done!
Posted: 9/28/14 at 12:23pm

^I loved Katie Finneran in the role, also.

SweeneyLovett Profile Photo
SweeneyLovett
#32How Miss Hannigan SHOULD be done!
Posted: 9/28/14 at 4:21pm

I'd give it chance. There have been so many productions of Annie that it really doesn't matter. Eventually, everyone will have a chance to play Hannigan. I'd like to see a drag Mrs. Lovett or Rose. Those seem like a given. Usually, the more wicked female roles could be fun in drag. I don't think anyone would suggest a drag Eliza Dolittle or Julie Jordan.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#33How Miss Hannigan SHOULD be done!
Posted: 9/28/14 at 11:50pm

@ homeimp - I thought Finneran made some really weird choices that worked in some parts but not in others- her singing was god awful annoying though to me. She was the most Cartoonish of the three Broadway revival Hannigans. I did not really care for her. We have no idea how Merman would have handled Hannigan, we can only assume she would have been amazing- but she also could have taken it in the wrong direction.

Darreyl with an L!

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#34How Miss Hannigan SHOULD be done!
Posted: 9/28/14 at 11:52pm

Trying to catch up with Matilda? Matilda's material is the real edge, I'm afraid...

culturalelite
#35How Miss Hannigan SHOULD be done!
Posted: 9/29/14 at 7:42pm

Sure, great idea.

I also think it would be great to see a woman play Marvin in FALSETTOS, or Arnold in TORCH SONG TRILOGY.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#36How Miss Hannigan SHOULD be done!
Posted: 9/29/14 at 8:39pm

On one hand, I don't know if this will work.

On the other hand, isn't it accepted wisdom that most of the great roles in musical theatre are written for middle-aged females? So casting one as a drag role isn't "taking a role away from women," when as characters and songs go, the woman of a certain age holds the majority of the accepted great material.