Ebola in the U.S.

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#76Ebola in the U.S.
Posted: 10/17/14 at 11:32am

It’s interesting that conservatives, who usually rail against big government intervention, are now clamoring for government imposed travel bans and quarantines. What happened to the free market? What happened to capitalism? I thought they supported less regulations fewer and controls?

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#77Ebola in the U.S.
Posted: 10/17/14 at 11:32am

Now if u wanna blame a medical group ( and u seem to really want to ) Take a look at WHO.

Yeah them mofo's really dropped the ball- again.

WHO r u? Updated On: 10/17/14 at 11:32 AM

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#78Ebola in the U.S.
Posted: 10/17/14 at 11:36am

Anthony Fauci equates a travel ban with stopping the movement of supplies and help in and out of the area. I also believe that we must send massive aid to stop the outbreak at the source. That does not require civilian air traffic!

I also take exception to his comment, "that marginalizes them". Would he make that statement if the outbreak had occurred in Sweden and we were asking for a travel ban from there? I suppose and I'm sure you would be right in suggesting that for many people this outbreak has racial overtones. And I'm also sure that his comment means exactly that. It is a politically sensitive reference.

I am saying that containing this disease is about focusing our effort on treating it there and keeping it there regardless if our policy hurts people's feelings. Not hurting people's feelings puts us at greater risk.

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#79Ebola in the U.S.
Posted: 10/17/14 at 11:37am

Saw this on twitter…

Scientists: Ebola
People: Panic! Aieeeee!

Scientists: Climate change
People: Meh. Pass the coal.

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#80Ebola in the U.S.
Posted: 10/17/14 at 11:43am

^^^
Cute.

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#81Ebola in the U.S.
Posted: 10/17/14 at 11:46am

Not having a travel ban isn't about hurting people's feelings. It's about bad policy that doesn't work.
Like PJ said...Thomas Duncan FLEW FROM BELGIUM.

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#82Ebola in the U.S.
Posted: 10/17/14 at 11:51am

Canmark, That is always the difference in our reaction between an acute and a chronic problem. But look at the positive side. If Ebola kills us all off, we solve the climate change problem.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#83Ebola in the U.S.
Posted: 10/17/14 at 12:08pm

Erik, I was responding to dented's use of "experts" in quotes.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#84Ebola in the U.S.
Posted: 10/17/14 at 12:18pm

Many, many more people will die of the flu this year than of ebola.

Ebola will not kill us off. Ignorance will.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#85Ebola in the U.S.
Posted: 10/17/14 at 12:41pm

Ignorance with it's chosen partner- fear.

The Gruesome Twosome.

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#86Ebola in the U.S.
Posted: 10/17/14 at 1:30pm

How come we don't have a flu czar?

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#87Ebola in the U.S.
Posted: 10/17/14 at 1:48pm

cos u'd need a new one every year depending on the strain of flu.

Just like whut's in the flu shot.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#89Ebola in the U.S.
Posted: 10/17/14 at 3:51pm

They weren't quarentined because of the Ebola, they were quarentined, well, just because!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

FindingNamo
#90Ebola in the U.S.
Posted: 10/17/14 at 4:33pm

I hope they have a nice break. After all, it's not the work, it's the stairs.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#91Ebola in the U.S.
Posted: 10/17/14 at 5:00pm

Here's how your stupid travel ban would end up failing.

===

A ban would be straightforward if the only objective were preventing an Ebola patient from boarding a flight in Monrovia that's bound for JFK. But in fact, there are few U.S. carriers currently operating direct flights to and from West Africa: Most likely, passengers would arrive stateside after a stopover someplace else. Thomas Duncan, the first patient to be diagnosed with — and die from — Ebola in the U.S., flew from Liberia by way of Brussels.

This is where things get complicated. If the ban is to target all passengers who traveled through West Africa, "that would require a substantial amount of coordination with our friends and partners overseas," says Vladeck. Countries already share information about air passengers with others — the question is whether the U.S. can convince other countries' travel ministries to share enough to be able to piece together travelers' previous stops.

And there remains the question of legality. If the ban is limited to noncitizens, its legality is fairly clear: It's up to the U.S. to determine its own immigration policy, and it can keep foreign nationals out as it wishes, says Vladeck.

But once we're talking about a travel ban on American citizens who may be in those areas, "the calculus changes rather dramatically, because courts have generally recognized a right on the part of U.S. citizens to travel," he says. The question then becomes one of due process: the government would have to make sure the ban allows citizens to demonstrate that they're not a risk to public health, for example.

MASHABLE: An Ebola Travel Ban Would Be More Trouble Than It's Worth

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#92Another POV
Posted: 10/17/14 at 6:15pm

Since the terrifying pandemic known as Ebola is officially in the United States, the news has gotten more and more insane by the hour. A nurse diagnosed with Ebola took a plane flight, and tried on wedding dresses in Ohio. A health care worker (also related to the Dallas case), is now on a Carnival Cruise Ship, officially quarantined. It’s enough to make the average person hearing about Ebola through 24-hour news stations, blogs, and radio, liable to freak out.

Currently, self-published books about Ebola written by random people — not medical professionals — are at the top of the charts at Amazon, and the problem is that these opportunistic cranks are spreading wild misinformation. There’s a guide to Ebola for preppers, one that suggests loading up on haz-mat suits, one that suggests vitamins. They’re all wrong.

But this hysteria, stoked by the news, preyed upon by opportunists, seems to come in two forms. First: there’s the news, which needs fear-mongering to survive. While clearly our government doesn’t… instill confidence, let’s say, the sheer amount of stories that are coming out just feel like people yelling into the void. Where are the solutions? Where are the experts? How awful was this hospital in Dallas? (Very, clearly.)

Secondly, too, it feels as if we’re primed to respond, narratively, to stories about plague and disease. They’re rampant in pop culture. We’ve been straight into a zombie revival in recent years, led by AMC’s monster hit The Walking Dead. We like the metaphor of zombies, of illness. It works on a day to day level (these guys are all squares, man! going to their houses! I’m special because I don’t buy in!) and it works on a profound level with the idea that illness, death, and the decay of the body is coming, and we will have to deal with it. Eula Biss’ recent book On Immunity is very effective at linking illness, fear, our bodies and metaphor (her story of choice is Dracula). It’s why the news that Ridley Scott is (finally, after twenty years) adapting 1994 bestseller The Hot Zone for TV as a limited series, with an updated hook — ebola — is making headlines. (When, frankly, it seems a bit like an opportunistic lunge for buzz.)

In a recent article for Popular Science, writer Brooke Borel provided a sane perspective. The resident “ebola experts” on news shows hinge further away from legitimate experts and more towards Robin Cook, the author of Outbreak (the pandemic book that became a movie the last time we were dealing with this, in 1994). Borel talked to historian and professor Nancy Tomes from Stonybook about the appeal of plague stories: because we have germ panic, according to Tomes, we seek out catharsis in stories and narratives that make epidemics into scary entertainment. “This outbreak touches on the post-9/11 fear of disintegration of world order,” Tomes said.

Because we treat pandemics as entertainment, in news (with its lack of sourced experts) and fiction (with relevant stories of pestilential doom), we ramp ourselves up with hysteria and paranoia. It’s a natural human reaction. Ebola is terrifying and if you are squeamish, you really shouldn’t read about it. But if you are an American, the truth of it is this: there are 310,000,000 people in the United States, and so far, Ebola has affected 3 people.

A car accident is a more sensible daily fear. Yet there’s not as much news or entertainment about that doomed possibility, is there, made to chew on for hours and hours of agitation? Last time I checked, David Cronenberg’s Crash was still a cult film, and its twin, Paul Haggis’ Crash, is a film we all have sworn to “forget” about in the list of Best Picture Oscar winners. The big budget film adaptation of Max Brooks’ World War Z, on the other hand, cost over $100 million to shoot and it made $500 million worldwide. The zombies are winning.

By Elisabeth Donnelly on Oct 17, 2014 1:25pm

FindingNamo
#93Another POV
Posted: 10/17/14 at 6:26pm

If the dawn of the AIDS epidemic taught me anything, it's that this would be a great time for Louise Hay to make a big splashy mainstream comeback! "The reason Liberians are hemorrhaging from their eyeballs is that they are too vain about their lashes."

Also, it's time for the healing crystal revival.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#94Another POV
Posted: 10/17/14 at 6:31pm

Woman who fell ill near Pentagon does not have Ebola

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

FindingNamo
#95Another POV
Posted: 10/17/14 at 6:49pm

I was very sweaty at a sex party two weeks after being on a Cdc conference call. It turned out not to he Ebola. #becauseGodHasAplan4me #NObola

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#96Another POV
Posted: 10/17/14 at 8:04pm

I agree that there has been an overreaction everywhere. But to believe that the CDC has even a clue how to handle this situation is a mistake. Just look at their reaction when Amber Vinson called them before her flight. She reported a low fever of 99.5. The threshold temperature for Ebola had recently been lowered from 101 to 100.4.

The CDC people gave her the okay to fly. Apparently, they are not aware that before having a fever of 101, you have a fever of 99.5 first. We are talking about someone who needed to be closely monitored.

Now we have a czar. His credentials: zero.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#97Another POV
Posted: 10/17/14 at 8:24pm

"doin' a heck of a job Brownie!"

FindingNamo
#98Another POV
Posted: 10/17/14 at 10:55pm

"Just look at their reaction when Amber Vinson called them before her flight."

I don't believe that really happened.

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#99Another POV
Posted: 10/18/14 at 2:59am

Namo, NBC reported that Vinson called the CDC before her flight and reported she had a fever of 99.5. The person she spoke to at CDC looked on their website and found that based on her contact with Duncan she was in the category of "uncertain risk". Because her fever was below 100.4 she was given the okay to fly. I believe the CDC has admitted as much.