pixeltracker

Switching from Apple to Android - Page 2

Switching from Apple to Android

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#25Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 1:20pm

I find it superior to the iPhone 5. Especially the battery life. And the camera. And the music service etc etc etc.
And while Microsoft is very far from perfect, at least I know they're not in the habit of ripping off public school kids.

Updated On: 10/3/14 at 01:20 PM

MikeInTheDistrict Profile Photo
MikeInTheDistrict
#26Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 1:28pm

I had an iPhone 5 as well, and the Lumia 920 (which came out around the same time) is quite comparable (and edges out the iPhone) in most specs. The one thing I preferred about the iPhone was the aluminum casing and that it was a bit lighter. In all other aspects, I find the Lumia superior with a smoother and faster interface.

Nokia Lumia 920 vs Apple iPhone 5

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#27Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 1:29pm

^This

MikeInTheDistrict
#28Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 1:32pm

In addition, I don't understand why people get so defensive and contentious about their consumer products, to the point of being actively rude to people about their choice of communication device. I mean, we none of us actually developed, programmed, or created these phones ourselves. They are the fruits of other people's labors and made by factory workers we will never meet. We don't have a vested interest in either Apple or Microsoft or Google, unless we're stockholders or employees.

Updated On: 10/3/14 at 01:32 PM

Brian07663NJ
#29Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 1:36pm

I work in an IT company with 10 people. Our office is split right down the middle and both sides insist they are smarter by having their device and the others aren't. Completely personal preference.

Wildcard
#30Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 1:55pm

Apple was always the underdog. They were more about the user experience, stability and security that they didn't want others using their operating systems. Hence Windows became the dominant computer system that was plagues with blue screens of death and malware. When they all of a sudden became the industry leader, it was inevitable for their competitors to target them. The iPod became THE music gadget to have and the Zune went the way of the dodo. Then they innovated the iPhone and again it became cool to hate the underdog that is now the cool kid. Every little flaw that people could find was made bigger than it was because those flaws came few and far between (though they did exist). People went out of their way to attack the system because it was Apple's alone and no one else's. Nobody pays attention to the flaws of the Androids or Windows phones because they seemed to be expected to exist in those systems.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#31Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 2:22pm

^. THIS!

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

MikeInTheDistrict
#32Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 2:23pm

"Nobody pays attention to the flaws of the Androids or Windows phones because they seemed to be expected to exist in those systems."

That, or simply that Apple has the largest market share of smartphones, at least in the U.S. Of course it will come under more scrutiny: more people have their phones and are invested in the operation of iPhones. But ultimately I find this argument somewhat disingenuous because it implies that the flaws found in these three competitors are comparable, when the fact is, Android probably has fewer flaws than either iOS or Windows. I've never even owned an Android, but I am willing to assent that it is probably the most powerful (and stable) mobile OS of the three. Android is the more popular phone worldwide. You hear less about its flaws because it's not as popular in the U.S., but also the simple fact that it has fewer flaws.

Updated On: 10/3/14 at 02:23 PM

Wildcard
#33Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 2:32pm

The Chinese govt, pretending to be the Occupy movement, has been sending fake messages to the protesters in HK who use Androids and jailbroken iPhones telling them what to do/where to go and putting them in the hands of authorities and into danger. They haven't been able to get into those with iPhones.

MikeInTheDistrict
#34Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 2:37pm

^ I didn't know about that. That is, indeed, a worrying vulnerability.

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#35Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 2:46pm

"Every little flaw that people could find was made bigger than it was because those flaws came few and far between (though they did exist). People went out of their way to attack the system because it was Apple's alone and no one else's. Nobody pays attention to the flaws of the Androids or Windows phones because they seemed to be expected to exist in those systems."

Complete BS. All phones nowadays (even the cheapest/simplest) get rigorous scrutiny from the blogosphere and the public. You hear kvetching because you're paying for a $500 phone on a $100 month crappy cell phone plan.

There is no doubt Apple makes good products, but Apple is a company that is in a bubble. Not too long ago, Apple's specialized OS/Hardware got Apple into some shaky financial straits. For a VERY long time having an Apple computer was cult-like and almost bizarre in a PC-world. Technology (not Apple) has kind of plateaued when it comes to smart phones. Of course everything can be faster, smaller, and cheaper but innovation seems to be in a corner. This could not be more noticeable in the iPhone 6 which offers very little by way of innovation. Of course Apple is scrutinized for this, Iphones are the bread and butter of Apple. Apple's competitors can now build similar devices at lower production costs. Andriod has launched a campaign in India (much like Windows) that may make Andriod THE ubiquitous OS. Patents are expiring each year that allow competitors to build similar software and hardware.

Andriod isn't a phone, it's an OS. Google makes VERY GOOD software. The hardware and the phone manufacturer are what you should be mainly concerned with unless you rely heavily on Apple's proprietary features (ichat).

The iPhone should be "superior" because you are paying for it. In NYC it seems iPhones are ubiquitous, I have both an Andriod and an Iphone. Sometimes with my droid, my Iphone friends tease. It feels like those days when people had generic cabbage patch kids.

Point is this, Apple is a premium product and it is EXPENSIVE. If you're paying upwards to $500.00 for a cellphone it better be freaking flawless.

Mark my words, Apple is running into the same problem they had decades ago. Their OS is what matters here not the hardware. If they keep pretending to be hardware company they're doomed to be a boutique company. And mind you all this hardware you are paying for today will be considerably less expensive and commonplace in less than 10 years.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#36Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 3:09pm

"And while Microsoft is very far from perfect, at least I know they're not in the habit of ripping off public school kids."

RIGHT?!

"Point is this, Apple is a premium product and it is EXPENSIVE. If you're paying upwards to $500.00 for a cellphone it better be freaking flawless."

A lot of Anroid phones, such as the new Galaxy, are just as expensive. It's incredibly popular and pretty much flawless as well. Apple products are proven to be crap. Phone bending? Cheap screen so the minute it breaks you have to spend money to replace it? Yep.

"Mark my words, Apple is running into the same problem they had decades ago. Their OS is what matters here not the hardware. If they keep pretending to be hardware company they're doomed to be a boutique company."

Agree completely.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#37Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 3:15pm

I agree with the defending of operating systems and devices. Use what you want and like. I ended up upgrading to the Droid Razr M last year because 1) It was free at the time, 2) Newer than whatever iPhone was the free one at the time, and 3) I kind of got drawn in because I did have a Razr before smartphones were a thing and I liked that. I love my phone and nobody can tell me that it's bad, just because you don't like it or want one. It's stupid to fight with people over something you are not going to personally use.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

finebydesign
#38Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 3:28pm

>>The Chinese govt, pretending to be the Occupy movement, has been sending fake messages to the protesters in HK who use Androids and jailbroken iPhones telling them what to do/where to go and putting them in the hands of authorities and into danger. They haven't been able to get into >>those with iPhones.

So you're implying Apple is better because their phones were not hacked? Seriously? The main reason Apple computers "don't get viruses" is because the market share is insignificant. If China wanted to flood the SMS network of any provider with messages it could damn well do it.

Iphones HAVE been targeted, and hacked here in the US. The do have security flaws and will continue encounter all kinds of threats. You are also more likely to get robbed in a city like NYC if you carry an Apple product.

BUT HERE AGAIN, Andriod is becoming a ubiquitous cost-effective OS. OF COURSE it will be hacked. Facebook gets hacked! Do you stop using that? (I have)

Everlast85 Profile Photo
Everlast85
#39Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 3:46pm

"The Chinese govt, pretending to be the Occupy movement, has been sending fake messages to the protesters in HK who use Androids and jailbroken iPhones telling them what to do/where to go and putting them in the hands of authorities and into danger. They haven't been able to get into those with iPhones."

Please keep telling yourself that Apple products cannot get hacked and they can't get viruses. Is that what the folks at the "Genius Bar" told you? LOL.

finebydesign
#40Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 3:51pm

"Is that what the folks at the "Genius Bar" told you? LOL."

Haha as a rule an Apple employee would NEVER say that.

finebydesign
#41Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 4:01pm

Spoke too soon Updated On: 10/3/14 at 04:01 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#42Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 4:06pm

^ ROFL ^

"Is that what the folks at the "Genius Bar" told you?" Double ROFL

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#43Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 5:35pm

It's like you all have penis envy or something.

MikeInTheDistrict
#44Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 5:52pm

^ Again, why do people resort to personal attacks over phones they didn't create or do development for? All these companies are as bad as each other in terms of cutthroat competition and trying to carve out a piece of market share. It's absurd to me that criticizing your choice of phone gets conflated in with criticizing you as a person to this degree.

Updated On: 10/3/14 at 05:52 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#45Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 6:00pm

I'm not attacking . I'm commenting, A little attempt at keeping it lite?

Updated On: 10/3/14 at 06:00 PM

MikeInTheDistrict
#46Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 6:20pm

In that case, sorry. I've seen too many internet arguments about this topic I guess, lol.

bstoll1
#47Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 7:42pm

I'm finding all of your opinions very interesting and a lot of valid points are being made here that I never considered. Once I make my decision which should be shortly I'll say what I got. A lot also has to do with cost and getting the most $ back for my current iphone4s. For those commenting I would be very interested in knowing which phone you currently use. Thanks again and let's keep this conversation going as long as there are no personal attacks. We are just taking phones here.

FindingNamo
#48Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/3/14 at 9:58pm

"Apple products are proven to be crap." -- SuttonFoster

"Really, Carolyn, come now." -- Lucy Ricardo

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

bstoll1
#49Switching from Apple to Android
Posted: 10/8/14 at 1:06am

Has anyone with a Galaxy noticed they get headaches using the device? I've tried it in the store and dimmed the screen but get a headache right a way. I never noticed that issue with my iPhones screen.

Videos