Posted: 10/9/14 at 9:15am

Painting with a rather broad brush there son

No just what we thought was a bad show.

Poster Emeritus

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#26Mormon Today
Posted: 10/9/14 at 9:17am

Why would you even suspect you would like this show? Do you ever pay attention to what anyone else writes here? Or ANYWHERE? Just because something doesn't appeal to your delicate sensibilities doesn't mean its "bad", its just not your taste.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#27Mormon Today
Posted: 10/9/14 at 9:22am

I would not talk about delicate sensibilities

Just because Brantley pans something does not mean it's bad.

Mrs R bought into the hype and regrets it.

I knew of South Park and knew this would not be a Sound of Music

Explain why the shrink in front of us thought it was dreadful.

The shrink said her son paid $500 for a ticket to see it. I joked he needs a shrink and she said jokingly he did. She could not believe how bad it was. I doubt she was "liberal/conservative"

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 10/9/14 at 09:22 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#28Mormon Today
Posted: 10/9/14 at 10:06am

There is not a single show on earth that EVERYONE likes. Out of everyone I know that has seen the show (which is a lot of people) I know of one person that disliked it. Some were middling about it and others loved it. We don't mind that you didn't LIKE it, but that doesn't mean the show is bad. Is a shrink's opinion any more valid than yours? Nope.

A show being not your cup of tea and a show being BAD are two different things.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#29Mormon Today
Posted: 10/9/14 at 10:16am

This is Roxy. This is no surprise.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#30Mormon Today
Posted: 10/9/14 at 10:27am

I'm curious how anyone who knows a fair amount about theatre could be so mistaken as to what the show would be like. It's not like it just opened yesterday and Mr. Roxy hadn't heard anything about it. Clearly he's not complaining about the quality of acting or things like that -- but rather the tone and theme of the show itself. it seems to me he (and Mrs.) should have known that this type of show wouldn't be for them -- unless they live under a rock.

I'm reminded of years ago when I was house managing a community theatre production of Fiddler on the Roof. The show had started about 5 minutes earlier and suddenly the house doors flew open and a middle aged couple burst into the lobby furious. "We moved to the west coast of Florida to get away from all the ____ Jews, and we're certainly not going to sit and watch a show about them". It was difficult to decide whether to be shocked and angered by their horrendous Anti-Semitism, or whether just to feel sorry for them that they could possibly NOT know Fiddler on the Roof was about Jews.

brucebossa Profile Photo
brucebossa
#31Mormon Today
Posted: 10/9/14 at 10:37am

"To think this beat out other worthy musicals like the Scottsboro Boys, Sister Act and Catch Me If You Can is mind boggling."

Yes... especially Sister Act! Mormon Today

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#32Mormon Today
Posted: 10/9/14 at 10:37am

Still name-checking Brantley all the time?! That Rocky pan still stings, I guess...

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#33Mormon Today
Posted: 10/9/14 at 10:40am

Wow, Patash. And I thought hearing a guy in line for the Phantom movie say "This isn't a musical, right?" was bad.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#34Mormon Today
Posted: 10/9/14 at 10:55am

I saw the tour last year in DC. I think the hell number was the only thing I enjoyed. I had two sets of tickets, thinking I would warm up to the show 2nd time around. Didn't happen. I left during intermission. I was shocked at how much I disliked it.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 10/9/14 at 10:55 AM

FindingNamo
#35Mormon Today
Posted: 10/9/14 at 11:58am

"Explain why the shrink in front of us thought it was dreadful."

Unresolved daddy conflict leading to chronic oral fixation and subsequent inability to sit still for more than one hour.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#36Mormon Today
Posted: 10/9/14 at 5:29pm

Thanks for eliminating the term Liberal Conservative it was bugging me.

Stephanatic

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#37Mormon Today
Posted: 10/9/14 at 5:34pm

Conservative with a budget, liberal with a meal?

Stephanatic