pixeltracker

HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews- Page 3

HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews

Nateben2 Profile Photo
Nateben2
#50HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 10/30/14 at 1:57pm

"There is absolutely no humor in this musical until the 2nd act when Saint Aphrodisius appears in "Flight Into Egypt". The audience loved it and that song got some of the biggest applause in the show."

The Topsy/Turvy scene has some humor, as well as the Phoebus/Esmeralda fight in the chapel - there are some very light and quaint moments, but it is more of a musical drama then comedy.

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#51HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 10/30/14 at 2:08pm

Well it is Hugo melodrama. To me the funny in the book is in the irony which has been stripped from the Disney version (with good reason).

JulesReverie Profile Photo
JulesReverie
#52HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/1/14 at 7:57pm

Saw it on Halloween, it was amazing, the most perfectly cast show, still speechless. True, it has a few kinks it needs to work out story wise, and there's a few things from the animated film they need to bring back into the show (NOT the gargoyles) but the characterizations, I feel like they softened Frollo a bit, I wanted him to be as sinister as he was in the film, the contrast that was in the film wasn't there, I'm not saying make him 2-detementional, just that his delusion/inability to admit fault and his extreme self-righteousness wasn't there as much, it felt he was driven by guilt over his brother more than he was driven by his hatred for gypsies and lust. Frollo is the monster and Quasi is the man, they née to keep Frollo as the clear monster.

Updated On: 11/1/14 at 07:57 PM

twotrey
#53HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/2/14 at 1:45am

For those who have seen it so far, what is the approximate run time of the show?

Nateben2 Profile Photo
Nateben2
#54HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/2/14 at 4:00am

2 hours and 20 minutes, with intermission

mikeyb16 Profile Photo
mikeyb16
#55HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/2/14 at 6:14am

Does Esmerelda still have her solo dance in topsy turvey like in the Berlin Production? Also is Dance of the Gypsies still included?

eatlasagna
#56HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/2/14 at 12:03pm

yes but it's now a solo song/dance called Rhythm of the Tambourine

bwayobsessed
#57HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/2/14 at 9:39pm

How different is Made of Stone? In the Berlin production like 50% of the lyrics were Quasi talking about the specific characteristics of the gargoyles.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#58HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/2/14 at 9:52pm

Not gonna lie, I'm saddened and surprised no audio clips have popped up on tumblr.

karatekid1 Profile Photo
karatekid1
#59HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/2/14 at 10:29pm

Me too!, I've been studying all day and it would make my day to hear some clips….

sctrojan65
#60HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/2/14 at 10:34pm

Seeing it on Thursday. Looking forward to seeing what they've done with it.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#61HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/3/14 at 9:43pm

Karate and Gleek, you asked and you shall receive HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews Knock yourselves out

https://lajollahunchback.tumblr.com Updated On: 11/3/14 at 09:43 PM

RW3
#62HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/3/14 at 10:07pm

^ I'm in heaven.

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#63HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/3/14 at 10:17pm

After hearing those clips, I have some mixed thoughts.

THE BELLS OF NOTRE DAME- It doesn't sound as full as it does in the movie. And ugh the ending. If you want to cut the iconic clopin high note, fine. But why is NO ONE singing it? They go down the octave or something and it just isn't as epic.

GOD HELP THE OUTCASTS - It sounds exactly like the film and a bit better. Its great. The only complaint I have is I wish they would slow down the tempo in the beginning.

MADE OF STONE - meh, I'll get used to it.

HELLFIRE - perfect. Too bad its in the first act.

After hearing the "gargoyles" I really don't like the concept. It's just so middle school play.

Updated On: 11/3/14 at 10:17 PM

RW3
#64HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/3/14 at 10:31pm

I liked The Tavern Song. Also, can someone who has seen the show provide in context what is happening in the Sanctuary reprise?

disneybroadwayfan22
#65HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/3/14 at 10:37pm

Everyone sounds gorgeous. I'll be one of the first when they release the CD. My thoughts:

-The Bells of Notre Dame: Little bit disappointing.

1) I like the movie version better. More shorter and more to the point.

2) This is a great backstory for Frollo and it's tragic, but he needs to be actually evil

3) Why the heck isn’t Clopin the narrator?! Why even have him in the number?

-God Help the Outcast: I was really hesitant of Ciara because of her age (She's in her early/mid 20s, right?), but boy was I proven wrong! She's amazing!

-Hellfire: YES, PATRICK, YES

-Tavern Song-I. love. you. Alan Menken

-Made of Stone: Michael sounds way too old as Quasi, IMO. I thought it was Patrick, at first. But, the Ensemble parts are gorgeous

-Sanctuary (Reprise)-Ummmmm, what's going on in that scene?

-Finale (P. 1)-SHUT UP, NARRATORS!

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#66HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/3/14 at 10:44pm

The character of Frollo seems like an increasing problem.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#67HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/3/14 at 10:59pm

That's so mean. I want to hear the whole thing! I'm liking those songs though.

bwayobsessed
#68HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/3/14 at 11:18pm

To whoever asked Sanctuary (reprise) happens when Frollo visits Esmeralda in after she's arrested and says she can be with him or burn (at least that's what it was in Berlin).

Overall I'm very happy. Although I'm sad about the reduced role of Clopin in Bells of Notre Dame I think that the additional info about Frollo is very interesting. God Help the Outcasts, Hellfire, and the Tavern Song all sound great! I do agree that Arden sounds a little old for Quasi and I do miss Drew Sarich's voice, but I think Disney played Quasimodo younger than most other renditions of the story so I'm not worried, he clearly has impressive vocal chops. I feel like the additions of the narrators in Finale 1 lowers the intensity rather than just having the intense latin chants and songs that were included in the Berlin production.

I'm super excited to have finally heard the cast singing and cannot wait to see what happens with the production.

disneybroadwayfan22
#69HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/3/14 at 11:21pm

To whoever asked Sanctuary (reprise) happens when Frollo visits Esmeralda in after she's arrested and says she can be with him or burn (at least that's what it was in Berlin).

We meant what was Frollo doing in the scene that's causing Esmerelda to scream and cry. It sounded like he was raping her

RW3
#70HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/3/14 at 11:28pm

^ Exactly!

Sousaphun
#71HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/3/14 at 11:40pm

He tries to rape her.

Deiff2
#72HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/3/14 at 11:41pm

I actually like that Frollo isn't at first the main villain, after all he's an archdeacon in the church, it makes sense that he's trying to do the best that he can. The fact that he struggles with temptation and that moves him to do the wrong things is fantastic in my opinion.

I listened to the full audio and I think he tries to rape her but he's stoped.

Tsao5
#73HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/4/14 at 12:23am

Hmmmmm, I know it is a not best quality live recording, but the added choir does not sound so...full. I thought they were brought in to beef up the Latin parts. The ensemble in Berlin had the vocal chops to sing the score 8 times a week AND do all the blocking while singing it. It seems like......there is an acting/singing ensemble here plus a choir that sits there, and sometimes offers a line here or there. If the show were to actually go to Broadway, wouldn't it be cost prohibitive to have both a musical theater ensemble AND a choir? Just thinking out loud.

Made of Stone sounds in a lower key , and of course the ending has been changed....which is a good thing. The ending in Berlin, the way it was set with the orchestra did not have the 11:00 number effect intended. Here at least it can end on a belty note as opposed to a soft high C that had to be started soft and build to a more mix sound.

Bells of Notre Dame has gone from an exciting what's gonna happen next number to a bleh wooded number. And yes, why even have Clopin?

Sousaphun
#74HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews
Posted: 11/4/14 at 12:26am

Yes, Frollo tries to rape Esmeralda, not maybe.
The choir is comprised of volunteers.
And Made of Stone is in the same key.

Updated On: 11/4/14 at 12:26 AM