THE LAST SHIP Reviews

massofmen
#50NYT
Posted: 10/28/14 at 3:30pm

if this thing lasts past feb 1 i will be surprised. Its not making its nut now, those reviews were pretty "eh" i have no idea how it will last.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#51NYT
Posted: 10/28/14 at 3:52pm

mass--if they make it to 2/1 they will make it till the tonys. the question is surviving through the holidays.

how do you know it is not making it's nut? I'd think it is, but barely.

#52NYT
Posted: 10/28/14 at 4:04pm

Think there are 3 possibilities
Jan. 4 Feb. 15 or May 3. It does n't have enough for people to love it and see it twice or Really recommend it to others.
Think they have the financial backing to go to Feb. 15 but will close Jan. 4, partly due to all the other great choices out there this season.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#53NYT
Posted: 10/28/14 at 4:42pm

your 2nd and 3rd dates make no sense. If it is flailing after the holidays, it will close then. Otherwise, on to the Tonys. And why would you run through the tony noms and then close? Utterly unfathomable. As I said above, the real question du jour is getting TO the holidays.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#54NYT
Posted: 10/28/14 at 4:43pm

"And why would you run through the tony noms and then close?"

If you don't get a Best Musical nod? Sort of like Bridges last season.

Updated On: 10/28/14 at 04:43 PM

neonlightsxo
#55NYT
Posted: 10/28/14 at 4:45pm

As was said, there are a lot of seasoned producers working on this project. They know how to market it, and they'll know when to close it. This week's numbers don't mean much because of press nights and opening night. Opening night was not onsale to the public and therefore entirely comped.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#56NYT
Posted: 10/28/14 at 5:19pm

I think the reviews will set it over the edge for the people on the fence to see it. But I'm not sure word-of-mouth is strong enough to keep it going. When I saw it, everyone around me seemed to be very ho-hum about it. It's not the kind of show you leave just raving about. It's very middle of the road.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#57NYT
Posted: 10/28/14 at 6:05pm

it is likely, as things now stand, to get a nom for best musical but most certainly for Sting, and that's why it would not close then. moreover, if it was shaky then it would already be closed long ago.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#58NYT
Posted: 10/29/14 at 6:21pm

Got comped seats today front mezzanine.

The upstairs was pretty much full . Many of the seats appeared to be of the papered variety. The show was better than expected. The score and acting were first rate especially Fred Applegate. The book was good. Not a fan of minimalist sets like those on display here. The choreography is what you would expect.

No idea if it will make it as I gave up on getting behind shows after last season. I wish the cast luck.

Poster Emeritus

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#59NYT
Posted: 10/29/14 at 9:23pm

No matter what the fate of the show, Sting comes out a big winner. Praise and respect for the score just about everywhere.

Who would have expected to see Sting compared to Kurt Weill?

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#60NYT
Posted: 10/30/14 at 9:46am

No one who knows anything about music, imo.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#61NYT
Posted: 10/30/14 at 9:56am

"No one who knows anything about music, imo."

What does that even mean?

No one?

NO one?

Really???

And that's something we need your opinion on?

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#62NYT
Posted: 10/30/14 at 10:03am

Saw the 10/29 matinee and people around me in the orchestra were extremely enthusiastic. It received well deserved, enthusiastic, sustained applause at the curtain.

Pammylicious Profile Photo
Pammylicious
#63NYT
Posted: 10/30/14 at 10:49am

I was there at yesterday's matinee also and I'm in the I loved it camp. Very emotional, the music is absolutely beautiful. No doubt Sting will get a Tony nod. Conversation overheard leaving was extremely positive and many tissues were crumpled up.

mamaleh
#64NYT
Posted: 10/30/14 at 11:29am

I attended that matinee as well. It has moments that are rousing or touching, and the performances are uniformly top-notch. But there are dreary stretches as well that to me don't bode well for packing them in come the winter doldrum months. It's very darkly lit, too.

My mini-takes: Personally, I love the wistful, melancholy title song. I wish Aaron Lazar had more to do. I don't remember Michael Esper's singing voice from AMERICAN IDIOT. Did he always sound like Sting? Or was this either deliberate or unconscious imitation? Really curious.

neonlightsxo
#65NYT
Posted: 10/30/14 at 11:39am

"I don't remember Michael Esper's singing voice from AMERICAN IDIOT. Did he always sound like Sting? Or was this either deliberate or unconscious imitation? Really curious. "

He isn't doing any sort of imitation. That's his actual singing voice.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#66NYT
Posted: 10/30/14 at 12:26pm

mamaleh--

I heard Esper's own voice in the singing. The similarity is not wholly imagined though. Certainly, it was an aspect of casting him, added to which you have the fact that he was obviously coached into an accent that is approaching Sting's.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#67NYT
Posted: 10/30/14 at 12:57pm

He's doing an accent from where Sting grew up, whilest singing Sting phrasings over Sting music, so he is certainly on a Sumnerian trajectory with all of that going on.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#68NYT
Posted: 10/30/14 at 1:06pm

Apparently the reason the show we attended was papered was that Lord Brantley was in attendance. He apparently was out of town (maybe being knighted by the queen) and that was why Isherwood did the review

For some reason, the producers were naïve to believe that with a full house of happy customers, their reaction would be better and that Lord Brantley would look more favorably on the show. Naive is the word to assume this would influence Brantley in the slightest.

Poster Emeritus

FindingNamo
#69NYT
Posted: 10/30/14 at 1:14pm

Roxy champions musical underdogs religiously. But not underdog sports teams.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#70NYT
Posted: 10/30/14 at 1:35pm

Only Roxy would find a way to be opposed to the reason he got free show tickets.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#71NYT
Posted: 10/30/14 at 1:51pm

But...Wildhorn!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#72NYT
Posted: 10/30/14 at 2:45pm

Roxy is apparently unaware that papering a house during ALL press performances is extremely common practice.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

martianman2
#73NYT
Posted: 10/30/14 at 3:31pm

Not too sure about sales but friends went Tues night and some on Weds Upstairs was virtually empty . Everyone was moved to the front. There were tickets for opening night on sunday. I got one way up in the mezzanine.They were limited in number though and only put on sale on the saturday.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#74NYT
Posted: 10/31/14 at 2:55am

Riedel's column says the reviews didn't affect the box office as much as they expected:

"The $14 million musical opened with less than $3 million in the bank. Monday, the day the reviews came out, sources say “The Last Ship” took in a little more than $100,000. On Broadway, the minimum threshold for a new musical’s opening day should be $250,000, maybe $350,000, given the high weekly running costs most shows have these days.

In previews, “The Last Ship” grossed a little more than $500,000 a week — which, I’m told, is a bit shy of the weekly overhead."

http://nypost.com/2014/10/30/stings-the-last-ship-needs-to-sell-more-tickets/