pixeltracker

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)- Page 4

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#75Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/22/15 at 5:03pm

^Amen to all of the above. It's about the in-the-trenches nightmare of being ... gasp ... an actor. Who gets older. Which lets face it, is the same thing as being stuck in a wheelchair in Hollywood. So it's a story about ... facing mental and physical challenges. That's what it's about!

And just when you cozy up to that trenchant view of an insular Los Angeles-based reality check as the reason we're watching this man's plight for two hours, the film makes it quite clear that acting on the wicked (or WICKED) stage is no better. Why, it's the realm of wannabes and pretentious egg-headed faux artists who need to be put in their pretentious place. The film's construct -- around a farcical, near cartoon take on New York theater -- basically boils to: an actor in America is the ultimate man without a country. To be an artist is to end up an underappreciated, dressing-room wrecking boy-man who needs to be understood and loved and given Another Chance. Of course what does he do with that chance? Blow it. Hey, he's entitled! He's too good for either coast. He's wildly self-destructive, tortured, unable to resist sabotaging every opportunity until there's no choice but to fly away as a martyr. It's got Oscar all over it.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 2/22/15 at 05:03 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#76Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/22/15 at 11:01pm

That is so weird. We watched the same film but saw two entirely different films.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#77Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/23/15 at 12:06am

#notmybestpicture

javero Profile Photo
javero
#78Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/23/15 at 12:23am

#normine

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#79Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/23/15 at 6:33am

To me, it's an art film that has no inherent respect for artists. The leading character is a self-lathing actor who crashes and burns in Hollywood's climate of ageism, then dabbles in theater, albeit with great desperation and blinders firmly in place, only to self-sabotage anew around people lacking (self) discipline, craft and a powerful need to express themselves.

The protagonist doesn't have that singular passion for expression, only for validation. What drives him isn't a poetic need to reveal the mysteries of human nature of even just himself, but for the (final) imprimatur of others, peers and finally NY critics. His approach to live theater, a place he might finally sustain something close to a creative impulse and its rewards, is only to reach a chaotic opening night, a Hollywood cliche. (And one portrayed with the tropes of pure farce.) How many movies seize this hoary concept, portraying actors in search of reviews or that one perfect performance, when theater is by its very nature built on a run, so that the artist can fully self-express and find deep personal satisfaction over time? That inherent disregard, perhaps even disrespect, for craft itself is at odds with all of the film's fancy cinematic trappings. As mediums go, film is portrayed with exhilarating flights; theater is a bargain basement of hacks at the mercy of drunken critics and a capricious audience. That disconnect undermines the very premise of the film. Unless that's its point.

But that cheap plotting trick -- opening night at all costs -- so over-employed by lesser artists (see "Staying Alive") than this director, distills acting down to a quest for that pat on the head. If that's "Birdman"'s final point, the emptiness of artistic expression, of the very spark that should ignite the artist, what a grim and cynical place to ... land. If art offers no solace, no final transcendence other than a means to an end, self-destruction, how sad. When so many gifted people work so hard in service of this trajectory, it's depressing. I don't see how the Keaton character enters the great collection of American antiheroes, though many will argue, some persuasively to be sure, that he does.

To me, among the less engaged, obvious, the film offers a chance to examine anew whether the artist's experience offers universal lessons. Personally, I'll take "8 1/2" or "Sunset Boulevard" or "All About Eve" -- all of which for my eleven dollars grapple with these issues with far more delicacy and compassion and wisdom. Yet "Birdman" now joins them in this discussion. That can't be ignored.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#80Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/23/15 at 8:53am

Personally, I'll take "8 1/2" or "Sunset Boulevard" or "All About Eve" -- all of which for my eleven dollars grapple with these issues with far more delicacy and compassion and wisdom.

I'd add "Being Julia" to the list. I didn't dislike "Birdman" though.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

Roscoe
#81Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/23/15 at 8:57am

"Yet "Birdman" now joins them in this discussion. That can't be ignored."

If BIRDMAN has any sense, it'll keep its fat mouth shut when in discussions with the likes of 8 1/2, ALL ABOUT EVE, and SUNSET BOULEVARD. And for what it's worth, I've found few movies are as easily ignored as BIRDMAN, one of the most useless wastes of time and money in recent years.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#82Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/23/15 at 10:11am

"What drives him isn't a poetic need to reveal the mysteries of human nature of even just himself, but for the (final) imprimatur of others, peers and finally NY critics."

Lends a new meaning to "oscar bait." And the proof is in the pudding.

" "Personally, I'll take "8 1/2" or "Sunset Boulevard" or "All About Eve" -- all of which for my eleven dollars grapple with these issues with far more delicacy and compassion and wisdom."

I'd add "Being Julia" to the list."

Why stop there?

The following all deal far more passionately and interestingly with the performing arts, performing artists and their writers and or directors. Not all of them are great movies, but some are among the best ever made.

"Opening Night," "The Golden Coach," "Topsy Turvy," "Day for Night," "The Dresser," "All About My Mother," "Law of Desire," "Broken Embraces," "Gods and Monsters," "Adaptation," "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" "Sullivan's Travels," "The Purple Rose of Cairo," "The Artist," "King Kong," "Mulholland Drive," "Veronika Voss," "Barton Fink," "Stardust Memories," "The Player," "Cinema Paradiso," "Smiles of a Summer Night," "For Your Consideration," "Waiting for Guffman," "Diva," "Fedora," "Children of Paradise," "Cabaret," "Singin' in the Rain," "A Double Life," "Prince of Players," "Morning Glory," "Stage Door," "To Be Or Not to Be," "Twentieth Century," "The Producers," "The Red Shoes," "Nashville," and the first three versions of "A Star is Born."

I don't dislike Birdman either. It's one of those rare good movies in which everything else about it - performance, direction, audacity - is impressive countervails a shallow, unsatisfying and dishonest script.

Updated On: 2/23/15 at 10:11 AM

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#83Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/23/15 at 10:44am

It wasn't the plot of Birdman which made it Oscar worthy. It was a combination of things.

After I watched it, my first thought was, "This is the strangest film I've ever seen." Yet, I liked it. It's something I've never seen before.

Credit goes to Alejandro Gonzalez Innaritu for crafting a creative and original film. The plot is crazy and pushes the lines of reality and fantasy (and believability), the long one-take camera shots are bizarre, and the crashing drum score is brash and edgy. And the film keeps you guessing, you have no idea where it's going to wind up.

The casting was a stroke of genius. Choosing Michael Keaton was akin to Quentin Tarantino resurrecting John Travolta’s sagging career with Pulp Fiction. For those of us who loved Keaton in Beetlejuice, Mr. Mom, Pacific Heights, and Batman, we were aching to see him make a big splashy comeback (he can deny calling it a comeback all he wants, but that's what it is).

Toss in Edward Norton, Emma Stone, Naomi Watts, and a crisp crossover role for Josh Galifianikis, and you have a wonderful cast that mainstream audiences could embrace.

Updated On: 2/23/15 at 10:44 AM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#84Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/23/15 at 11:00am

I won't complain about the cinematography winning since it was pretty stunning, and some of the performances were good, but I am baffled how that awful script won anything. It seriously took 4 people to write this 2.5 hour rant about *art*? For such a big, showy movie, it didn't really have anything interesting to say.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#85Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/23/15 at 11:53am

And I think that's the thing I had the most issue with. I was so thrilled that Eddie won Best Actor last night, I think he honestly gave the Best Performance of the entire year. But that said, I wouldn't have been upset had Keaton won and that being the award that the Academy felt should go the film. But to give it ALL of those awards just baffles me.

Mister Matt
#86Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/23/15 at 12:50pm

For some reason when watching the film and afterward, I took the story of Birdman to be about this actor's personal issues, his personal quest for work, and the obstacles he faced. I saw no reason to interpret the scope of its plot into broad generalizations of genre and art when I really saw no clear indication that the film was commenting on the industries in absolutes.

As mediums go, film is portrayed with exhilarating flights; theater is a bargain basement of hacks at the mercy of drunken critics and a capricious audience. That disconnect undermines the very premise of the film.

The media were portrayed from his experience and perspective. And I really didn't see the script implying film was actually superior. Clearly, the same Hollywood that put him up on the pedestal had also knocked him down. And as for the portrayal of the theatre, which was his present narrative, the anti-Hollywood sentiment and the idiotic method actor weren't so far-fetched. I saw no "Film vs. Theatre" or condemnations on their treatment of art. I saw this man's struggles with his issues and demons and his desperation to fulfill a lifelong goal at any cost despite a torrent of obstacles being thrown in his path. I saw equal condemnation to the role of both industries in this man's life and I saw representations of his coping mechanism and state of mind.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#87Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/23/15 at 4:34pm

I loved it and was hoping it would win.

The last thing this movie was about is art. It's about the fickle nature of fame, aging in a youth dominated business. It satirizes actors who take themselves too seriously.

It has a cynical message about being in the preforming arts, bracing in fact. And I love that it was told so eloquently.

I thought the cast was exceptional. Keaton in particular, and I think he should have won.

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 2/23/15 at 04:34 PM

Mister Matt
#88Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/23/15 at 6:25pm

It satirizes actors who take themselves too seriously.

Well, it definitely exaggerates, but at the same time, we can all recall true stories of either celebrities or even actors we've personally known. The Edward Norton character was sadly not much of an exaggeration of an actor I knew. It hit a little close to home.

It has a cynical message about being in the preforming arts, bracing in fact.

And don't we all!

And I love that it was told so eloquently.

Exactly. It was the Gilliam-esque fantasy take on the story that lifted the piece for me. If only Gilliam could achieve that again himself.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#89Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/23/15 at 11:29pm

"The last thing this movie was about is art. It's about the fickle nature of fame, aging in a youth dominated business. It satirizes actors who take themselves too seriously."

My response is, that's convenient, parsing fame in a controlled vacuum, removed from creating, particularly in light of the meticulously created show within a movie that's being performed. Which is intentionally set forth as a kind of high brow forward movement away from the title character movie series. And especially in light of the character's constantly dramatized need to move past his pedestrian action hero status. The film if by default inadvertently addresses art, because that's the vocabulary it employs: serious effort vs. puerile Hollywood sequels.Not my idea, but in the plot and how it's handled.

But the impasse here isn't new. I don't think anyone can talk anyone else into adoring this film. I have been discussing it for about 5 months now, and now one has convinced me to change my mind (having seen 2 1/2 viewings), nor have I done same. I certainly respect those who were wildly entertained and moved and even thrilled. I simply was not and tried here to record the reasons why. I don't need a more persuasive case to be made.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#90Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/24/15 at 7:45am

"I don't think anyone can talk anyone else into adoring this film."

This is why I won't post my lengthy thoughts on he film, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned what I saw as the movie's central theme -- ego and the lifelong struggle to release oneself from it. I think there will be some great essays written on this movie and its relationship to Zen Buddhism.

But surely now we can all agree that "Birdman" has, at long last, the same backlash that "Boyhood" has.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Wilmingtom
#91Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/25/15 at 12:36pm

I predict that in 20 years, Boyhood will still be relevant and discussed while Birdman will be largely forgotten.