pixeltracker

Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?- Page 2

Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#26Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/1/14 at 12:18am

This is what would apply to Newsies:

"PNC Broadway Across America:

Student rush discounts are typically not announced until the week of the show. Student rush is usually ½ off any available tickets at the Box Office only, two hours prior to curtain. Limit is two tickets per student. Some shows do not include Friday/Saturday evenings. Rush availability varies from show to show."

If other cities are doing rush, I hope Louisville hops on board!

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#27Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/1/14 at 1:46pm

The only thing about the prices on Broadway versus the tour that bugs me is the seat location. Yes, you could've paid $99 on Broadway and then $99 on tour but because the Nederlander was such a smaller theater than some of these barns that they're playing (Philly has four levels?), it's not comparable. That $99 seat on Broadway could be sixth row side orchestra, two seats from the aisle while the $99 seat on tour is somewhere in the rear of the family circle in a 3,000+ seat theater.

PS: they're not using the Broadway set on tour. It's a new set that they were already working on before they announced Broadway's closing.

Updated On: 11/2/14 at 01:46 PM

GoSmileLaughCryClap Profile Photo
GoSmileLaughCryClap
#28Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/1/14 at 4:17pm

That's strange, I heard back when they announced the Broadway closing that the original set was built to tour. The other night at the after party one of the tour tech people said it was the Broadway set with some tinkering for the road.

It looks identical to what I saw in NYC.

crewsies
#29Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/1/14 at 9:36pm

It is a brand new set. I have in my hands a picture of it under construction dated July 9. (Tell me how to post it, I will) I've seen both the touring towers and parts of the Broadway towers in the same building. The sets are structurally identical, though the color, wear patterns, and mechanical parts have some variation. The installed lighting is very different too in the towers. Can we call this argument settled?

As far as the ticket price goes, you'll have your socks blown off. $95 is a bargain. The show is 100% Union and it shows. Thanks for asking.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#30Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/2/14 at 8:22am

Not sure if I am reading this article correctly, but trpguyy sounds right. From this article it sounds like a new set was being assembled for the tour in Yonkers:

"But there's other revenue. The crew has spent an estimated $10,000 locally on lumber and other supplies to assemble the set that was constructed in a scene shop in Yonkers."

http://wnyt.com/article/stories/s3572506.shtml

I am not sure what article/Thomas Shumacher interview people were reading saying it was the actual set from the Broadway production. But perhaps they meant it was the same design, not the actual set.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Paciencia y fe Profile Photo
Paciencia y fe
#31Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/2/14 at 9:35am

On the subject of whether or not the tickets are worth the cost, I saw the show at its start at Proctors in Schenectady and thought it was outstanding. They did have a lottery. Perhaps you should look into that possibility.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#32Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/2/14 at 9:50am

I believe this is the article people are thinking of with Thomas' quote but he is referring to props and costumes and not the set.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/newsies-aims-to-be-a-show-with-a-happy-ending-1408486566

"Two weeks after we close, we start rehearsing the national tour," said Mr. Schumacher. "I can save hundreds of thousands of dollars by using resources from Broadway, like costumes and props."

trpguyy
#33Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/2/14 at 12:31pm

"But there's other revenue. The crew has spent an estimated $10,000 locally on lumber and other supplies to assemble the set that was constructed in a scene shop in Yonkers."

Weird, Hudson Scenic is in Yonkers. Almost as if I knew what I was talking about?

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#34Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/2/14 at 12:38pm

Could it be they have two sets on tour and leap frog them like they do on the Wicked Tours? Each tour has two sets. One is set up and ready for the show before the show closes in a particular city.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

broadwayguy2
#35Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/2/14 at 1:28pm

1. Suffice to say that tarp guy and crew dies know of what they speak.
2. There are, undoubtedly, elements from the Broadway production in use. Some scenic elements are also, technically, considered props.

The Wicked tours do not have two sets. They have, essentially, one and a half sets. There are certain parts of the show that are duplicated and used as a jump set - ie, the dragon / proscenium - but the bulk of the scenery is used in every city. They do not have two complete sets for each tour.

(Lion King, when they had two tours, had a unique arrangement and strict scheduling where three show decks were used between the two tours, sharing, and each company would jump from deck to deck as they traveled.

crewsies
#36Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/2/14 at 1:39pm

We do not use 2 sets (a jump set), we just use the new one. Fear not, the original Broadway set is safely in storage.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#37Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/2/14 at 1:42pm

I doubt anyone was worried at all.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#38Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/2/14 at 1:49pm

"Fear not, the original Broadway set is safely in storage."

Everyone knows the Broadway set is going to be used for the West End production...

(May as well start the next wave of rumors)

GoSmileLaughCryClap Profile Photo
GoSmileLaughCryClap
#39Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/2/14 at 8:17pm

Still in the country, but catching up from the weekend. With all the arguments and disagreements that go on here, this is a perfect example of how innocent comments become BIGGER issues.

I'm at a cocktail party thrown by Disney, and told that the production is the same as Broadway. After noting that on this board with the assumption that I have the mouth of the horse as my source, I learn that it is incorrect.

So, my apologies, but also a lesson that misunderstandings are often more complicated than intentional misinformation!

stagedad
#40Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/2/14 at 9:52pm

I have a family member in the show. This is straight from the company manager's mouth at the party on Thursday. The set is new. It is on a slightly larger scale than the Broadway set because the theatres the tour will be playing around the country are larger than the Nederlander, so it required a slightly larger set (towers). Also, they had to redesign the set so it would fit on the nine 18-wheelers that haul the set from city to city. Each tower of the touring set weights 4500 pounds each. It's quite an operation.

Updated On: 11/2/14 at 09:52 PM

broadwayguy2
#41Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/2/14 at 10:32pm

"The production is the same as on Broadway" and "it is literally the same set, loaded out of the Nederlanders and into the tour trucks" can be taken as the same thing, but are actually significantly different. It means they duplicated the Broadway staging nearly exactly, in so far as what the audience sees.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#42Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/3/14 at 2:51am

Was the Broadway set the same set that they had used at Paper Mill but with slight modifications or was it also a new set?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#43Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/3/14 at 4:31am

Of course, this brings up one of the long-running BWW debates about the Newsies set, and whether it was MIG welded, TIG welded or Arc welded. I have my suspicions, of course.

booth0882 Profile Photo
booth0882
#44Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/7/14 at 4:11pm

Is it worth 85-95? Well that is a decent price for a tour. I saw the show two years ago on Broadway. Loved it. Talked to someone that saw one of the tour's previews. She said the show seemed quite "messy" in comparison to when she saw the broadway production. I didn't ask her exactly what she meant by that, and I imagine kinks were still getting worked out. So take that for what it is worth.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#45Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/12/14 at 12:53pm

Broadway Across America Louisville just announced there WILL be a student rush! Looks like I am going to see it! I was this closr to buying a $54 first row balcony seat for closing night. Glad I waited!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#46Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/12/14 at 2:02pm

"Looks like I am going to see it!"

Was that ever really in question?!

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#47Is the Newsies tour worth $85 to $95?
Posted: 11/12/14 at 8:02pm

Yes. $47 I can afford, $90 I cannot.