pixeltracker

Rob Marshall to Bring FOLLIES to the Big Screen?- Page 15

Rob Marshall to Bring FOLLIES to the Big Screen?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#350Rob Marshall to Bring FOLLIES to the Big Screen?
Posted: 4/22/15 at 6:05pm

Would love Rob Marshall to do Kiss of the Spider Woman with CZJ in the title role...

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#351Rob Marshall to Bring FOLLIES to the Big Screen?
Posted: 4/22/15 at 6:50pm

icecreambenjamin, I was mostly confused when they changed funny lines to unfunny lines. Jack's mother saying "Sometimes I fear you're touched!" is hilarious. Whatever she says in the movie isn't. Did James Lapine fear people would think she meant it in an inappropriate manner (since they cast such a young actor)? Also she wasn't physically violent in the show.

I also was confused about why they had the Witch describe the curse of ugliness in the opening, therefore spoiling that she would become beautiful later. Also that whole business about not killing Rapunzel was pretty bad too.

As for a movie Sunday, the end of part 1 with him putting the people in place would be magical. The more I think about a movie of that show, the more I like the idea.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

MadAboutTheBoy Profile Photo
MadAboutTheBoy
#352Rob Marshall to Bring FOLLIES to the Big Screen?
Posted: 6/2/15 at 11:18am

Reviving this thread to ask a question about the casting of the showgirls: In the majority of the productions, the showgirls float in and out of the foreground as phantoms of the women's younger selves. I guess in some of the productions, the older women interact to a varying degree with their younger selves. I'm wondering if this effect would best be accomplished in a film version with both versions of a character (i.e. the older character and her younger, ghostly counterpart) appearing on screen simultaneously, as they do in the stage versions, or with the two versions of a character morphing or dissolving in and out of each other? It seems that at some points, both versions need to exist in the same space but at other moments, it might make sense for them to morph into their younger selves as the escape into their memories becomes more entrenched throughout the show. Thoughts?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#354Rob Marshall to Bring FOLLIES to the Big Screen?
Posted: 6/2/15 at 1:49pm

I'd love to read PJ's screenplay for Follies if he ever writes one.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#355Rob Marshall to Bring FOLLIES to the Big Screen?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 6:36pm

I'd kill to see Barbra Streisand do Sally. She'dbe phenomenal. It's a shame that didn't pan out when she was age appropriate for the role. Plus her against Meryl's Phyllis would be exhilarating.

Chita Rivera for Carlotta!

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#356Rob Marshall to Bring FOLLIES to the Big Screen?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 7:00pm

Susan Sarandon for Hattie!

enjoyable2
#357Rob Marshall to Bring FOLLIES to the Big Screen?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 7:17pm

Why are people so intent on having Babs RUIN Stephen Sondheim's music??? Gypsy is bad enough, but this role?  I can see her singing Losing My Mind, as I slowly lose mine. 

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#358Rob Marshall to Bring FOLLIES to the Big Screen?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 8:22pm

^they clearly said they wished she played the role when she was age appropriate, so I guess your mind is already lost.

Mrtrobz
#359Rob Marshall to Bring FOLLIES to the Big Screen?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 8:52pm

Rob is gonna be tied up for a while doing Mary Poppins so the film idea has been dropped in the meantime whilst he and Platt work on it, I have heard rumblings from a decent source of Rob Marshall being in early talks in possibly reviving the show of Follies intending a role for Kathy Bates.

Updated On: 7/27/16 at 08:52 PM

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#360Rob Marshall to Bring FOLLIES to the Big Screen?
Posted: 7/27/16 at 8:55pm

^ Honestly I only want a Follies revival if Kelli O'Hara plays Sally and Laura Benanti plays Phyllis and sadly, both of them are far too young for the roles right now, so I may have to wait a while.