pixeltracker

Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie- Page 3

Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie

Enjolras15
#50Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/8/15 at 9:50pm

Johnny would be great. I think that of all the Sondheim shows that Follies and Passion would make the best films. Sweeney Todd and Into the Woods are my favourites and have already been done. Next are Sunday and Assassins. I do love Merrily but that I do not think would sell as a film. I think Act One Finale of Sunday is one of the most beautiful things in all musical theatre.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#51Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/8/15 at 11:24pm

I don't think that Johnny Depp has the voice. Eddie Redmayne or Ewan McGregor would be good choices as George. George is a really hard acting and singing role. Depp couldn't do either.
As for Dot, you need someone who is pretty, but kind of silly. Emily Blunt would do great, but so would Amanda Seyfried.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#52Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/8/15 at 11:47pm

"Why not film it with the structure that it has.
End the first act with the painting and then as it zooms out it reveals it hanging in a museum with people looking at it.
Time passes and the museum closes for the night. We see the painting and the characters in it begin to sing "it's hot up here." It then continues into the rest of the second act."

Because it's a movie, a totally different medium, and that wouldn't hold up.

And I cannot imagine "It's Hot Up Here"- an almost entirely visually static number that actually has very little plot or thematic relevance- being included a film version of this as it is now in the musical.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 1/8/15 at 11:47 PM

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#53Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/9/15 at 1:52am

If Sondheim gets tied up with another film adaptation, I doubt we'll ever see a new Sondheim musical.

But, since everyone's mentioning the changes they'd make, I'd get rid of "Putting it Together". Sunday is one my favorite Sondheim scores, but that song is such a drag. It sounds so 80s. Or maybe it actually sounds so 70s. Either way, it sounds terribly dated.

rattleNwoolypenguin
#54Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/9/15 at 4:43am

Thoughts of how the songs and scenes from both acts could interweave with each other

1. Sunday in the Park with George (Seurat's Past)
2. Putting it Together/ No Life (George Modern day gallery morphing towards the end into Seurat's gallery)
3. Color and Light (Seurat's Past)
4. Scene: The Chromolome and Introduction of Marie (George Modern Day)
4. The Day Off (Seurat's Past)
5. Children and Art (George Modern Day)
6. Everybody Loves Louis (Seurat's Past)
7. Finishing the Hat (Seurat's Past)
9. We Do Not Belong Together (a quartet with George and his wife he's divorcing and Seurat's past, Dot and George)
10. Beautiful (Seurat's Past cut with shots of Modern George flying and settling into Paris and looking over Marie's book)
11. Move On (Modern George)
12. Sunday (I Agree Sunday could have far much more staying power by just being performed once.)

This arrangement could make it a very tight film perhaps.
Food for thought.

icecreambenjamin
#55Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/9/15 at 8:24am

^I wouldn't cut "Lesson #8" but aside from that, it sounds pretty great.

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#56Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/9/15 at 3:41pm

"Act II would have to get the "truncated treatment" ala Into the Woods. "

bless his soul! cut the whole ACT 2 and I will have no problem with it.

greensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
#57Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/9/15 at 4:12pm

I kinda wish Cyndi Lauper had the opportunity to play Dot when she was age-appropriate. I think her casting would've been really unexpected, but possibly heartbreaking.

Oh, and for the record, I'm not going to the movie if they truncate or even touch "Everybody Loves Louis." Now there is a critical song to the show if ever there was one!

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#58Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/9/15 at 4:17pm

I feel like they'd cut a lot of songs for a movie version.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

gcal
#59Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/9/15 at 4:19pm

I imagine it opening with "Putting it Together"

Wildcard
#60Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/9/15 at 4:31pm

This would only work as an experimental indie film. It wouldn't work as a studio film… it's not commercial enough

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#61Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/9/15 at 4:35pm

The only way it would be commercial enough is to have a star director and two big box office stars in the leads.

But then it could work well.

Give it the Merchant-Ivory lavish look for a small budget!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Wildcard
#62Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/9/15 at 4:45pm

'Cause that worked so well for Nine.

Besides, we don't really have box office stars anymore. People go to films based on the premise. Johnny Depp will be successful in Pirates but not in Transcendence. Robert Downey Jr will be successful in Iron Man but not The Judge. Even Meryl couldn't lift The Giver.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#63Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/9/15 at 4:49pm

So add a scene where Georges and his mother blow up the early riggings of the Eiffel Tower.

Stretch it into a 20-minute action sequence ...

Instant hit!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#64Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/9/15 at 4:50pm

Children and art ... and bombs.

Wildcard
#65Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/9/15 at 4:52pm

Maybe the chromolume is a robot!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#66Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/9/15 at 5:09pm

There's no reason why the monkey in the painting can't become Dot's adorable sidekick.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

JuanValjean72 Profile Photo
JuanValjean72
#67Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/9/15 at 5:23pm

Johnny Depp does not have the vocal range for this role, it's far too demanding, unless they transpose everything which would just take away from some of George's most intense moments. It's one of my favorite musicals and would love to see it as a film, I'm just not seeing how it would work altogether, but the ideas I've read so far are really interesting :)

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#68Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/9/15 at 5:27pm

"Children and art ... and bombs."

LOL

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

smallvillefan16
#69Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/10/15 at 12:00pm

I would place money that this never comes to fruition. If Sweeney Todd had been the hit that Chicago/Mamma Mia/Into The Woods, then maybe - maybe Sunday would have been made into a movie.

icecreambenjamin
#70Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/10/15 at 12:31pm

This will probably be some kind of indie musical film. If done right, this could be the most beautiful film of a musical we've seen in a loooong time.

Showface
#71Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/11/15 at 12:57pm

" this could be the most beautiful film of a musical we've seen in a loooong time."

But...Into the Woods came out a few weeks ago. Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie

So, I finally watched Sunday in the Park With George, and in a nutshell: I thought it had some very strong moments (every time Dot was onstage) and some moments that didn't really interest me, and I wanted it to move on to the next scene. Like, the soldiers and the two girls did not interest me. Dot and George's relationship, and the critique of George's work, and his thoughts on "beauty not being pretty" did.

The second act did not interest me except for Marie's scenes and Move On.

However, I feel if made into a film, I could end up loving it like everyone else. I agree it should cut back between modern George and George of the past.

Songs I wouldn't mind getting cut/songs I think will be (should be) cutL

"No Life"
"Gossip"
"The Day Off"
"The One on the Left"
"Sunday" (leave the reprise in, and have it close out the film as the past George finishes the painting, and make cut backs to the modern George)

"It's Hot up Here" (would not work on film)

Casting:
Dot- Emily Blunt (1st choice), Amy Adams (2nd choice)
Marie- Should she be played by someone other than who plays Dot?? Someone actually of that age? Thoughts?

As for other casting, I have no idea.

And yes, Dot "Sunday in the Park With George (Song)" could be a thrilling scene!

icecreambenjamin
#72Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 1/11/15 at 1:22pm

^Into the woods wasn't as good I thought it would be.

Anne Hathaway would make a nice Dot.
"No Life" could be replaced with dialogue pretty well and "it's hot up here" is far too stagey to work on screen. I don't think that the music should be tampered with beyond that.

Showface
#73Lapine Wants To Make SUNDAY IN THE PARK Movie
Posted: 2/10/15 at 8:55pm

BUMP

I've been watching and re watching.I actually LOVE it a lot more. It's something that grows on you and it is absolutely beautiful!

Though, I think *a few* parts are a little weak, I really love it! A film would be excellent. Due to the rather short scenes, I hope the film would put a little more focus on the central characters, and a little less on the other characters in the park. This could prove to be very beautiful. As far as cuts and adapting it...yeah, I agree; combining the acts.
As much as I don't want it to be cut: Everybody Loves Louis may have to go, unless they can find some way of including it without it stopping the film.

"Color and Light

Dot- Emily Blunt

George- Chris Pine (thinking this one through...I think he could do it, though some keys may need to be altered)

Marie- June Squibb (yes, I know, it'snot Emily Blunt playing Marie, but, I think the casting of someone actually her age may be pretty nice and...it's June Squibb...just think of Children and Art)