American Sniper

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#25American Sniper
Posted: 1/27/15 at 3:00pm

What I was trying to say was that I was brought up to be one of these Nationalistic types. It might have materialized if I had not witnessed how the US has acted in foreign affairs. I'm ashamed of our record. I've come to regard Nationalism and Religion as the two biggest banes on human existence. This film was crap in my eyes, it dint entertain, it fed the mindset of the Nationalistic morons, and it inspires hatred from other groups. A real effin disaster that I'm sorry I paid for because my wife, and now I'm more pissed.

Stephanatic

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#26American Sniper
Posted: 1/27/15 at 3:54pm

If the producers had any hand into making this boring film into a national litmus test on patriotism, they are geniuses.

FindingNamo
#27American Sniper
Posted: 1/27/15 at 4:03pm

Roxy and Kid Rock, two thinkers of remarkable depth and complexity.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#28American Sniper
Posted: 1/27/15 at 4:44pm

"A real effin disaster that I'm sorry I paid for because my wife, and now I'm more pissed."

Perhaps next time she can make it a girls trip. To ask your husband to take you to a movie so you can feel tingly is a dick move.

I attended a screening with a veteran, and he thought it was kind of ridiculous. Americans love America (AMERICA! F*CK YEAH!), so I'm not surprised this made a ton of money. The Hurt Locker, a far more superior film in every capacity, was a complete bomb at the box office. Perhaps because Americans love the hatred of these people? No idea.

Updated On: 1/27/15 at 04:44 PM

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#29American Sniper
Posted: 1/27/15 at 4:58pm

While I don't disagree with your Sniper opinion (OK, I've not seen the film and despite my Cooper love probably never will,) The Hurt Locker ultimately made 50 million on a 15 mill budget. Hardly a "complete bomb," (would the Oscars even give a best Oscar win to a "complete bomb?") Granted, you may have a point--Hurt Locker made most of its money outside of the USA--whereas Sniper, which, granted, was a far more expensive film, has made only a fraction of its profit so far internationally.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#30American Sniper
Posted: 1/27/15 at 5:05pm

Sorry, I meant to say a domestic bomb.

South Florida
#31American Sniper
Posted: 1/27/15 at 7:52pm

Sutton some times we have to go to the movie the wife wants to see, we don't have different cliques.

Stephanatic

FindingNamo
#32American Sniper
Posted: 1/28/15 at 1:12am

Fox News contributor and radio host Todd Starnes put out a video dispatch that can help us all see where the Roxys of the world are getting this notion that "American Sniper" is a litmus test for patriotism of the citizenry.

Starnes said that he longed for the days when Hollywood “stood in solidarity with our fighting men and women.”

“Those days are long gone, and our sweet land of liberty has been soiled by the stinking stench of Michael Moore and Howard Dean and their liberal minions,” he insisted.

But that's not even the good -- and I mean REALLY good part:

According to Starnes, filmmaker Michael Moore was wrong to suggest that Jesus would not “hide on top of a roof and shoot people in the back.”

“I’m no theologian,” Starnes opined. “But I suspect Jesus would tell that God-fearing, red-blooded American sniper, ‘Well done, thou good and faithful servant for dispatching another Godless jihadist to the lake of fire.’”

He's right! He's no theologian. Nor does he seem to understand Jesus' central message… give everything you have to the poor and LOVE your enemy. When your enemy strikes you, do not strike back, forgive him even if he hits you again.

I know that's hard, but THAT'S WHAT JESUS SAID TO DO.

Updated On: 1/28/15 at 01:12 AM

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#33American Sniper
Posted: 1/28/15 at 5:43am

Hey South Florida, just curious...does "the wife" call you "the husband?"

South Florida
#34American Sniper
Posted: 1/28/15 at 8:29am

Quite right Melissa.

Stephanatic

FindingNamo
#35American Sniper
Posted: 1/28/15 at 9:14pm

SNIPERS AIN'T HEROES, SAYS JESSE VENTURA

Ventura, a former Navy SEAL, won $1.8 million in a defamation lawsuit last year against the estate of the late Chris Kyle, the SEAL protagonist of the movie, which has sparked debate over whether snipers should be considered heroes. Ventura said Wednesday he won't see the film partly because Kyle is no hero to him.

"A hero must be honorable, must have honor. And you can't have honor if you're a liar. There is no honor in lying," Ventura told The Associated Press from his winter home in Baja California, Mexico. He also noted that the movie isn't playing there.

I guess a SEAL like Ventura has no idea the movie showed there were snipers on the other side. Or maybe that makes it okay to Jesse V?

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $209,600,822 81.5%

+ Foreign: $47,500,000 18.5%
= Worldwide: $257,100,822

Updated On: 1/28/15 at 09:14 PM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#36American Sniper
Posted: 1/29/15 at 11:03am

I finally got through my screener, and add only: the movie could've made its ultimate point by dramatizing the single most important event in Kyle's life: being shot by another Vet with PTSD. The ugly irony is not only the stuff of great storytelling, it's the important stuff of war tales. To sidestep the moment Kyle faced down a gun in the hands of someone damaged by the same illegal and immoral war would've turned the title and the trajectory into a complex examination of the cost of any war. But it's played as a footnote, an irrelevancy, as we cut to flags and crowds at his funeral. The omission -- and I don't buy the legal aspects of not showing it, since an actor was hired to play his killer -- is obscene.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#37American Sniper
Posted: 1/29/15 at 11:10am

Totally agree 're the ending. You knew something was going to happen by the way the wife was acting. To not show it weakened the movie.

Poster Emeritus

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#38American Sniper
Posted: 1/29/15 at 2:08pm

A title card that he was shot that day by another veteran on a shooting range did not seem like they were playing it off, or that it made it "an irrelevancy." I thought it stayed true to the rest of the movie the way it was presented.

Similarly, the title cards at the end of Imitation Game were also used very effectively as a gut punch after what you just watched. People disagreed on those, as well, though in the Imitation Game thread.

South Florida
#39American Sniper
Posted: 1/29/15 at 3:37pm

We shouldn't have been in Iraq Roxy, that's the evil here.

Stephanatic

South Florida
FindingNamo
#41American Sniper
Posted: 1/31/15 at 1:57am

All the space in pop culture that's taken up by the discussion of American Sniper could have been given to Citizen Four. Good job, Clint!

IloveBroadwAY3
#42American Sniper
Posted: 1/31/15 at 4:43am

I loved it