pixeltracker

Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen

Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#1Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 1/31/15 at 5:45pm

Hi All,

For the past 3 or 4 days every so often when I come to visit broadwayworld I get this message that takes over my screen "softwareupdaterip" I'll be reading stuff on here when it pops up. There isn't a way to get out of it without hitting continue. When hitting continue it lists updates recommended. I then am able to get out of it but also takes me completely out of broadwayworld. This is the only site this is happening on.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Thanks

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Pootie2
#2Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 1/31/15 at 5:49pm

Sounds like a phishing scam hidden in the BWW popup advertising. Try using the mobile site instead; things don't look like Vegas then (Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen) but you can't see the news roll on top. https://forum.broadwayworld.com/index.php?mobile=on

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#2Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 1/31/15 at 5:58pm

Thanks Pootie2

I'll give that a shot. Very seldom get anything like it on my iMac.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#3Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 1/31/15 at 6:05pm

I too have had this happen to me recently. I'm also on a Mac.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#4Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 1/31/15 at 6:05pm

You should never get a pop-up on BWW, but occasionally something odd will come up via one of our advertising partners. If you can send me a screenshot to robert(at)broadwayworld.com, I will make sure it gets zapped and will yell at the appropriate people!

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#5Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 1/31/15 at 6:06pm

Thanks Rob

Will do the next time it happens.

Pootie2
#6Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 1/31/15 at 6:39pm

"You should never get a pop-up on BWW, but occasionally something odd will come up via one of our advertising partners. "

Oh, I've gotten odd full-page popup advertising before, so I thought it was normal to the site. OK, good to know.

*(And I mean scripted, not a new child window old-school popup.)

Updated On: 1/31/15 at 06:39 PM

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#7Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 1/31/15 at 7:15pm

I was having the same problem on Safari. Sorry I didn't think to alert you, Rob.

I downloaded Firefox instead and, so far, it works fine.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#8Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 1/31/15 at 7:21pm

Is this related to the recent inability to embed YouTube videos? (See recent Stephen Fry thread in Off-Topic)

Gothampc
#9Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 1/31/15 at 11:36pm

I just had this happen to me.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#10Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 2/1/15 at 12:11am

^ Me too....

Phyllis Rogers Stone
AEA AGMA SM
#12Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 2/1/15 at 1:32am

I just had the same thing as Phyllis. After redirecting to that page (I didn't copy the link, but I recognize that admin.appnext portion) it then kicked me into the App Store and brought up this app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/heroes-charge/id900313219?mt=8

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#13Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 2/1/15 at 1:39am

I got sent to the App Store, too, but to some Madden football game.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#14Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 2/1/15 at 2:11am

Rob, this is completely unrelated, but since you're probably monitoring this thread, are you aware that the board suddenly - apparently - stopped supporting embed code for YouTube videos? Hardly an emergency, but perhaps something to look into.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#15Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 2/1/15 at 8:27am

At first it seemed was happening to people on Mac is it also happening to people using PC as well?

Pootie2
#16Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 2/1/15 at 8:36am

I'm on PC, but since using the mobile site, I get no ads at all. (The full site doesn't play nice with my preferred browser.) I switched to the full site briefly on my Microsoft Surface tablet on IE, but nothing happened in that time. Maybe it's using a Safari sniffing script to invoke the app store.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#17Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 2/1/15 at 8:43am

I should have also said I use Safari.Going to switch over to Firefox now.

Gothampc
#18Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 2/1/15 at 9:10am

I'm on a PC using Firefox. So far it only happened to me once.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#19Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 2/1/15 at 10:35am

It's happened to me on PC - but it happened when I tried to start a video from the news articles on this site.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#20Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 2/1/15 at 1:28pm

Can we go back to the "You should never get a pop-up on BWW" that Pootie also touched on. I guess technically what happens is a pop-over when some kind of message with its "Click Here to Close" hijacks the entire screen?

Pootie2
#21Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 2/1/15 at 1:35pm

"Can we go back to the "You should never get a pop-up on BWW" that Pootie also touched on. I guess technically what happens is a pop-over when some kind of message with its "Click Here to Close" hijacks the entire screen?"

That's exactly what I've seen before. It's not a traditional popup child window but a JavaScript overlay that covers the full page with "click here to close" thing the corner that's not always visible or easy hit (I've seen this on PC and even my phone browser when not using mobile site).

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#22Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 2/1/15 at 4:27pm

All has been good today. I thought the pop up was no longer but alas just happened at 4:15PM sent a photo of it to Rob.

homeimp
#23Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 2/1/15 at 5:14pm

I find this site to be the slowest of any site I go to. Whatever link I click on seems to take a long time. Sometimes I give up. I like to scan down the Bdwy message board and click on the posts in which I am interested. The screen often seems to freeze on me, and I don't think it's my computer.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#24Keep Getting Odd Message on Screen
Posted: 2/1/15 at 5:16pm

It's not.

Videos