pixeltracker

How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?- Page 4

How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?

Jace2017
#75How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/1/15 at 2:17pm

I guess its just one of the many consequences he has to deal with. At least he has a job. Some of the fans for this show are nuts... Death threats... Crazy! Most of them are ignorant teenage girls who have no idea what they are talking about.

Mattbrain
#76How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/1/15 at 3:19pm

Well, again, it's not like he's been hurting for work since A Tale of Two Cities closed.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Jace2017
#77How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/1/15 at 3:23pm

He probably would work even more if it wasn't for his past.

Updated On: 3/1/15 at 03:23 PM

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#78How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/1/15 at 3:26pm

I'd say that being cast in the title role of Broadway's longest-running show is the best one can go in terms of work. I seriously doubt he's worried about working "even more" at this point.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Mattbrain
#79How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/1/15 at 8:51pm

"He probably would work even more if it wasn't for his past."

You also have to take into account that he has two kids and to say they're a time commitment is an undertstatement.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#80How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/1/15 at 10:27pm

He probably would work even more if it wasn't for his past.

Really?? Just shut up.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Mattbrain
#81How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/4/15 at 10:19am

Just so everyone knows, according to the Phantom FB, there will be new production photos coming soon.

#82How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/9/15 at 12:28am

Justin in response to your comment about Barbour's year-long contract, where did you come by this information? If he's going to be here all year then the only thing that will prevent me from going is if I die of joy first. I am going to New York this Autumn, maybe sooner.

Now while I enjoyed Barbour's title song on tumblr, where he achieved perfection and beyond is as Rochester and Sydney. For Phantom I always have felt baritenors are the dream for the role, voices like Crawford, J.O.J or Panaro. Still Barbour's voice is paradise on earth to hear sing anything. And he is such a natural actor, brilliant really, how can he make me unhappy in the role? I've seen some shots snapped with what looks like a home camera of Barbour recently on tumblr and pinterest that have left me speechless.
Updated On: 3/9/15 at 12:28 AM

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#83How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/9/15 at 12:42am

Traviata, what a lovely post! If James Barbour finds out about your really nice words, I'll bet he'll be thrilled.

So often we forget that professional actors are anxious to be admired and that a thick skin is hard to come by even for professionals. When I write reviews that are less than glowing, I usually (not always) try to be mindful that there's a human being reading my critique about his or her work. I am more interesting to read when I'm sarcastic, but that doesn't excuse my stabbing someone in the heart (figuratively, of course).

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

FindingNamo
#84How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/9/15 at 1:02am

Scientologists? Thin skin?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

ebontoyan
#85How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/9/15 at 2:02am

Anyone has any idea why it is taking Phantom so long to post their new production pics with Barbour who started in early Feb?!? There are already pics and video out and about of the new cast members in Les Miz who started on 3/2 and of the new Carole King who started in Beautiful this weekend. Just wondering

Updated On: 3/9/15 at 02:02 AM

#86How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/9/15 at 3:57am

How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?

Audrey,

I just viewed your profile, did you notice that our birthdays are only a day apart? I just found that amusing. Thank you for acknowledging my comment. Do you really think he would like it? If I am able to approach him after the show I would love to tell him what I think of his work. I plan on bringing my copy of Bring Me Giants with me in case, I would love an autographed copy and a signed playbill. It may do him as much good as it does me.

Have you ever heard the Broadway in concert recording with him and Hershey Felder? Barbour often seems carefree in public, but in this recording he shows his sensitive side in the stories from his personal life he introduces each song with, from childhood to first auditions, I noticed how rejection resonated with him. I would never want to make him feel unwanted.

Since I hear voices begging for new production photos here's one of those great snapshots from his performance on stage that I was talking about, we can look at that in the meantime. Here's a link in case the image breaks. https://instagram.com/p/zyBoIFQDhf/

ebontoyan
#87How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/9/15 at 6:56am

Is he that black blob behind Kelly?! Wouldn't know it was him unless someone specifically said so. But thanks for sharing.

Phantom4ever
#88How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/9/15 at 1:56pm

Saw the show on Saturday night, March 7th. Barbour's voice was rich and strong throughout the show. I know this board requires that we worship Norm Lewis but I thought his singing in Phantom was rough. I cringed every time he struggled to hold out the final note of Music of the Night. Barbour was able to beautifully sing it out til that last chord played. Norm probably did act better though. But Barbour is hands down a far better singer.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#89How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/9/15 at 3:03pm

"Anyone has any idea why it is taking Phantom so long to post their new production pics with Barbour who started in early Feb?!?"

With all the backlash received from the casting, I imagine that they're reluctant to release anything Barbour-related now.

Mattbrain
#90How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/9/15 at 3:46pm

Again, they said on the official Facebook page that it's still going to happen.

ebontoyan
#91How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/9/15 at 5:02pm

What backlash??!? Everyone on here is just all praises of Barbour!?

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#92How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/9/15 at 5:38pm

I know, Mattbrain, I meant that that's probably why it didn't happen right away. (I should've specified, my apologies.)

And Phantom's social networking accounts faced all sorts of backlash when the casting was announced due to Barbour's past.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#93How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/9/15 at 5:56pm

ebontoyan, yes on this thread we've had nothing but praise for him because this was about his gorgeous performance in Phantom, and other things he has been in. There was another thread where ignorant people who knew barely anything about him accosted him for something that happened a decade and half ago. Those people don't matter though. No protests ever occurred, and people love him in the role. The pictures will be up soon Im sure.

sueb1863 Profile Photo
sueb1863
#94How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/9/15 at 7:51pm

Go to Tumblr and search for James Barbour and you'll see the backlash all right. They still seem very worried that he's going to go after the entire Matilda cast since they're just up the street.

Somebody there claims that they saw an Instagram post stating that members of the Phantom cast were circulating a petition to get Barbour kicked off the show. Someone else said this probably wasn't true, but it's the sort of stuff that's in the rumor mill.

Mattbrain
#95How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/9/15 at 8:42pm

"They still seem very worried that he's going to go after the entire Matilda cast since they're just up the street."

That one still cracks me up.

Sutton Ross
#96How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/9/15 at 10:56pm

That's what they are worried about in life? Those bored housewives need to seriously get lives and read the news. Jesus.

Updated On: 3/9/15 at 10:56 PM

Mattbrain
#97How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/9/15 at 11:08pm

Well, in fairness, some of the people raising objections have admitted they've been victims of sexual abuse. I mean, in that situation, how are you supposed to react?

Sutton Ross
#98How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/9/15 at 11:36pm

Simply not see the show?

#99How did James Barbour Do as the New Phantom?
Posted: 3/10/15 at 2:28am

Congratulations Phantom4ever on seeing Barbour. Lucky you! He's one of the greatest singers in the world in my book.

I have always thought of Norm as having simply a fabulous singing voice, clear as a church bell, but I came to the revelation that it was his acting that was going to win everybody's heart in this role. I think baritones often offer a timbre that is sensuous, commanding and mature, and everything else you could want for the phantom's temperament, yet while the phantom does overlap with their range, Javert came easier to a Norm Lewis and Earl Carpenter, as Count von Grolock did for a Steve Barton and a Judge Turpin for Timothy Nolen. Still I adore Norm, he has a lot of natural beauty in his voice, even if this is getting towards the top of his vocal range, and plenty of charisma to make it worth the while, I am sad I missed history in the making and never got to see him.

My instinct was that Barbour would sing it better, his head voice is legendary, but I would like to hear more of him in the role before I call this one. I like both of their voices. I'm expecting a great deal from Barbour however as an actor also. Norm played the role passionately with perhaps a more childlike interpretation, I think Barbour will cook up something darker yet more restrained. I think of Norm's acting as good, but think of Barbour's as very good. As the plot thickens I believe we're going to remember Barbour's acting as much as his voice.

Updated On: 3/10/15 at 02:28 AM