Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#150Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater
Posted: 2/21/15 at 2:48pm

But...But..ENTITLEMENT!!!

brdway411
#151Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater
Posted: 2/21/15 at 2:50pm

Then do the rest of us that can follow the rules a favor and stay home.

broadwayguy2
#152Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater
Posted: 2/21/15 at 2:51pm

Black and white issues aside, it IS difficult.
And I will not use this post to take a stance on either side, but I will address the difficulty.
Yes, technically it is illegal to talk on your phone during a performance, but that is another kettle of fish.
Yes, it is illegal to take photos or videos during a show, but as said before let's at least admit that every person on this board has enjoyed a bootlegged photo, audio or video, so how about everyone remove themselves from a high horse about it and move on to the issue at hand - interrupting a performance. There is a right and a wrong way to handle most any situation, and without defending someone taking photographs, I will say that I can count on less than one hand the number of times someone taking a picture or video in a theatre has disrupted my viewing, but I would need a host of hands to count the number of times an usher's behavior in trying to remedy the problem has disrupted me. There are ways to address it without disrupting entire swaths of the audience mid-performance and I have seen it handled in that fashion as well.
My own personal nightmare usher and phone story was seeing Rock of Ages at the Helen Hayes. I was on a date and as we were seated, we were (not politely, as in other houses) reminded to turn cell phones off. As soon as we were seated, as far off from the aisle as you could be, we proceeded to do just that. HOWEVER, that same usher CLIMBED OVER ROWS AND SEATS, YELLING IN FULL VOICE AND DROPPING PLAYBILLS, "I just told you No phones! Turn them off right now! I will have you thrown out!" "Sir, that is just what we were doing.." "Don't talk back to me. Phones OFF. If I see it in your hand, you are GONE!" That, my friends, is wholly inappropriate.

brdway411
#153Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater
Posted: 2/21/15 at 3:08pm

Go to Hedwig and try and take a picture or even take out your phone, even to turn it off. They shut that crap down fast and hard. Wanna talk about police state. And I thank the staff every time I go to the show for being so attentive about it. Wish they had ushers and security like that at every show.

lightguy06222
#154Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater
Posted: 2/21/15 at 3:09pm

i take a photo at EVERY show.

edit. FOLLOW me on instagram and see all the photos.
@davidgoldsteindesigns
Updated On: 2/21/15 at 03:09 PM

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#155Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater
Posted: 2/21/15 at 3:11pm

"Yes, it is illegal to take photos or videos during a show, but as said before let's at least admit that every person on this board has enjoyed a bootlegged photo, audio or video..."

This.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

brdway411
#156Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater
Posted: 2/21/15 at 3:14pm

um not every person. All pictures I have of any show or performance were either taken at shows that allowed photos to be taken (with out flash) or were taken by house staff before or after the show (Godspell back stage tour, Pippin on stage and back stage with Andrea Martin).

Updated On: 2/21/15 at 03:14 PM

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#157Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater
Posted: 2/21/15 at 3:24pm

So you're telling me that you have never once looked up a single video or audio clip on YouTube from your favorite show? Not once?

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#158Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater
Posted: 2/21/15 at 3:36pm

I have not. I'm not saying I haven't SEEN some, but never because I've gone looking for it. Not once.

The other thing to remember: it's not illegal to LOOK at the pix, anyway, it's illegal to TAKE them.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#159Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater
Posted: 2/21/15 at 3:45pm

I'm sorry but a lot of people in this thread just don't get it.

I have been on both sides of the issue - a patron and an usher. Sure, maybe an usher who's trying to do their job is disturbing to you for a few seconds, but I can assure you that if they don't at least try to do their job, and just stand by and let those who feel like taking a picture go right ahead and do it, you will soon have 1500 paparazzi shooting away.

OK, and I have to explain why ushers sometimes get militant and lose it to the point of being really mean. I know lots of you won't accept what I'm going to say, but I'm saying it because it's true:

When you are fighting a losing battle each and every time you're at work, and you're ignored and/or abused over and over again, the frustration leads to anger, and you lose it. I've pleasantly reminded some patrons to please turn off their phones. The first time, ok, they quickly put the phones away. Then they take them right out again. The second time, I might say "I'm asking you again to put the phones away." They put them away after giving me a dirty look. Then they take them out again. This time I will SCOLD, yes scold. "PLEASE PUT THE PHONES AWAY!" Now, if you blame me for that, then go f**k yourself.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

brdway411
#160Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater
Posted: 2/21/15 at 3:48pm

Same as Dramamama611, I don't go looking for stuff as a rule, but if I do, I find the clips released by the production not the clips taken by some pimply face teenager.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#161Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater
Posted: 2/21/15 at 4:08pm

Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater

"Give me a playbill and show me to my seat. If i want to take a picture of curtain then I will. I'm spending over $100 on a ticket, ill take a picture if i damn well please."

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#162Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater
Posted: 2/21/15 at 4:08pm

" HOWEVER, that same usher CLIMBED OVER ROWS AND SEATS, YELLING IN FULL VOICE AND DROPPING PLAYBILLS, "

I don't believe that for one second. Stop lying. You try and CLIMB over just one row of seats and see how long it takes you and how difficult it is. ROWS of seats? Rather than walk down the aisle? GET A GRIP

broadwayguy2
#163Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater
Posted: 2/21/15 at 4:21pm

Jane, he climbed over two empty rows in front of us. He walked into the row of seats and over the two seats in front.
Sorry if you don't believe it, but that is zero exaggeration.

Jordan Catalano
Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#165Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater
Posted: 2/21/15 at 4:25pm

Empty rows? maybe, a guy? maybe. Ok, I was picturing a woman and people in their seats, during a show.

ok, but hard to believe. But I hardly blame him, LOL!

broadwayguy2
#166Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater
Posted: 2/21/15 at 4:43pm

It was roughly 15 minutes before the show, a large man. And this was as we were doing as instructed.. Turning off our phones when we took our seat, as instructed.

Jordan Catalano
SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#168Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater
Posted: 2/21/15 at 7:15pm

There will NEVER be a solution to this and so many other things that need addressing as the world advances in technology and age old manners are left behind.
I would love to see no eating drinking smoking while driving, baggage AND passenger being weighed at check-in, a checkout person actually LOOK at you as they hand you your change---not going to happen.
All suggestions here are how to deal with the immediate problem, but the problem started years ago and manifesting[?] itself in self-righteousness and indignation then developing into physical abuse.
My day as an usher we greeted,tore tickets and said 'leave 6 take the next 2' and if feeling cheeky would occassionally give the wong number of seats to leave and giggle over the mahem we created.
Cameras--couldn't sneak a box brownie into a theatre !
All it takes is nanners and consideration--preaching to the converted here but 7 pages of interesting[and sad] reading.
Chookas to all those ushers struggling to maintain a happy and safe environment for others.

brdway411
#169Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater
Posted: 2/21/15 at 10:33pm

I miss the days when the usher would take your 35mm camera and just rip the film out. Have seen it done more than a dozen times.