pixeltracker

Hamilton Cancellation Line- Page 66

Hamilton Cancellation Line

saminastoria
#1625Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 9:44am

Newbie here. I read through all of these posts and they are definitely very helpful! Like most, I have entered the digital lottery every day (no luck as of yet), and am thinking of trying a different approach to get a ticket. Reading these posts have given me faith! Back in the day, I used to get in line at 4-5am for Jersey Boys student tickets, so I am hoping I can get a ticket from the cancellation line! I am still a little confused as to where the line starts. Can someone clarify?

And just to be sure, there would be no point in me stopping by the theatre after work (5:30PM) to get in line for a cancellation ticket, right? lol 

Any tips would be helpful :) Thank you everyone! 

SMSLP
#1626Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 10:24am

Good luck to everyone! I had the ability to see the show at the end of March by purchasing a TM resale close to showtime. Best money I ever spent hands down. Center of tenth row-amazing. Dustin Hoffman and his family were in the row right in front of me. I am a HUGE fan, but I was in such a pre-Ham state that it didn't really hit me until after the show that he was there. I was all (in my head), "hey, there's a super famous guy...now please sit down so I don't miss Leslie's entrance!"

Anyhoo, I tried to do the cancel line that day, and I was willing to hire a line sitter (SOLD) the night before, but no one was available. Every SOLD employee was very professional in my experience. I am planning another trip in June, and I am honestly bummed the rules have made this service close to impossible to use. Let me explain: I have read pretty much every post on this thread over several months, and it is a common occurrence to see people complain about how line sitters "aren't fair to people with less money". People are celebrating the fact that these employees, offering a legal service (and not against the rules until recently), are no longer able to work, and it is almost universally assumed that those using them have more money than sense. I also have read frequently that "true" fans will get up and do what needs to be done. Here is the problem I have with all of these assumptions: I have worked for years with people with physical limitations that would keep them from being able to participate in the line. From MS, post-stroke, heart conditions, heat/cold insensitivity (as you see often with MS; it can cause a relapse), to cancer/chemotherapy, sun sensitivity due to life-sustaining medications, joint replacements: there are people out in this world that are just as big of a fan as someone who can't afford a ticket that may have saved for months/years to have spending money. Those people may have seen the cancellation line and heard of the line sitter option and thought, "wow! I can use this money I have sold things to have, saved to have, earned by whatever means I could, and this service could allow me to hold my spot in line so I have a shot at a ticket." This service is a gamble, no matter where you are in the line, but they feel it would be worth it. I don't think this is an isolated option; I bet that there are more of these instances than not. And I bet if you asked any one of those people if they would rather have their health or money, they would choose health every time. How do I know this? I am one of them. It is shocking to me that the "it's not fair" mentality comes out of the mouths of people who have their health and at least enough money to be standing in line at all. What further concerns me is that I could try to go stand in line and, based on many people's comments here on this thread, get my picture taken and used as a way to kick me out of the line if I have to take a break for medical reasons. This self-policing situation that has been developed has merit to an extent, but the extent to which people have proclaimed they will "self-enforce" the line also needs to be monitored. Have some compassion for people in that line; you never have a full idea of what is going on with them, what challenges they face on a daily basis, and what they are sacrificing to be there to witness greatness. It could be money, it could be time, it could be more than comfort; it could be their long-term health. If you see someone targeting someone else who swaps out or takes a quick break, please make sure you understand the whole story before you stand by and allow that to occur. 

That being said, I plan to try the cancel line in some way/shape/form. I will have a friend with me, and we plan to stand in line; we both plan to see the show. I will be in the line as much as I can, but I also plan to use the fact that each person can purchase 2 tickets to argue my right to take short breaks, alternating with my friend as needed. I will talk with those in line and make sure I extend that same kindness to anyone needing to take a moment or 10, whether they have a medical issue or not, because that's the right thing to do. I would even consider meeting some friends here that want to trade their physical prowess for my money for a ticket-in a way that respects the rules-if anyone messages me with that offer. Sorry for the novel I just typed. Again, good luck to everyone, especially those that demonstrate kindness and understanding to their fellow Hamilnerds.

happydude
#1627Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 10:30am

SMSLP said: "Good luck to everyone! I had the ability to see the show at the end of March by purchasing a TM resale close to showtime. Best money I ever spent hands down. Center of tenth row-amazing. Dustin Hoffman and his family were in the row right in front of me. I am a HUGE fan, but I was in such a pre-Ham state that it didn't really hit me until after the show that he was there. I was all (in my head), "hey, there's a super famous guy...now please sit down so I don't miss Leslie's entrance!"

Anyhoo, I tried to do the cancel line that day, and I was willing to hire a line sitter (SOLD) the night before, but no one was available. Every SOLD employee was very professional in my experience. I am planning another trip in June, and I am honestly bummed the rules have made this service close to impossible to use. Let me explain: I have read pretty much every post on this thread over several months, and it is a common occurrence to see people complain about how line sitters "aren't fair to people with less money". People are celebrating the fact that these employees, offering a legal service (and not against the rules until recently), are no longer able to work, and it is almost universally assumed that those using them have more money than sense. I also have read frequently that "true" fans will get up and do what needs to be done. Here is the problem I have with all of these assumptions: I have worked for years with people with physical limitations that would keep them from being able to participate in the line. From MS, post-stroke, heart conditions, heat/cold insensitivity (as you see often with MS; it can cause a relapse), to cancer/chemotherapy, sun sensitivity due to life-sustaining medications, joint replacements: there are people out in this world that are just as big of a fan as someone who can't afford a ticket that may have saved for months/years to have spending money. Those people may have seen the cancellation line and heard of the line sitter option and thought, "wow! I can use this money I have sold things to have, saved to have, earned by whatever means I could, and this service could allow me to hold my spot in line so I have a shot at a ticket." This service is a gamble, no matter where you are in the line, but they feel it would be worth it. I don't think this is an isolated option; I bet that there are more of these instances than not. And I bet if you asked any one of those people if they would rather have their health or money, they would choose health every time. How do I know this? I am one of them. It is shocking to me that the "it's not fair" mentality comes out of the mouths of people who have their health and at least enough money to be standing in line at all. What further concerns me is that I could try to go stand in line and, based on many people's comments here on this thread, get my picture taken and used as a way to kick me out of the line if I have to take a break for medical reasons. This self-policing situation that has been developed has merit to an extent, but the extent to which people have proclaimed they will "self-enforce" the line also needs to be monitored. Have some compassion for people in that line; you never have a full idea of what is going on with them, what challenges they face on a daily basis, and what they are sacrificing to be there to witness greatness. It could be money, it could be time, it could be more than comfort; it could be their long-term health. If you see someone targeting someone else who swaps out or takes a quick break, please make sure you understand the whole story before you stand by and allow that to occur. 

That being said, I plan to try the cancel line in some way/shape/form. I will have a friend with me, and we plan to stand in line; we both plan to see the show. I will be in the line as much as I can, but I also plan to use the fact that each person can purchase 2 tickets to argue my right to take short breaks, alternating with my friend as needed. I will talk with those in line and make sure I extend that same kindness to anyone needing to take a moment or 10, whether they have a medical issue or not, because that's the right thing to do. I would even consider meeting some friends here that want to trade their physical prowess for my money for a ticket-in a way that respects the rules-if anyone messages me with that offer. Sorry for the novel I just typed. Again, good luck to everyone, especially those that demonstrate kindness and understanding to their fellow Hamilnerds.

You are RIGHT on all accounts!

"

meepsnyc
#1628Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 10:32am

SMSLP said: "Good luck to everyone! I had the ability to see the show at the end of March by purchasing a TM resale close to showtime. Best money I ever spent hands down. Center of tenth row-amazing. Dustin Hoffman and his family were in the row right in front of me. I am a HUGE fan, but I was in such a pre-Ham state that it didn't really hit me until after the show that he was there. I was all (in my head), "hey, there's a super famous guy...now please sit down so I don't miss Leslie's entrance!"

"

I really love this post. Thanks for the reminder to everyone to have some compassion. I know we all REALLY want to see the show, but I agree that the common goal and love for Hamilton should bring everyone together, not create divisiveness and competition in our scramble to get tickets. 

I was thinking about this last night when I decided against bringing a line sitter into the theater with me to circumvent the rules. Yes, it is within the rules. However, I would be robbing someone in the cancellation line of their shot to see the show, just for my own selfish gain. So, premium tickets it is! :) (Of course, this isn't to say that the line sitters aren't fans of the show... But again, I would feel like I'm taking a spot from someone who could have made it in from the line.)

Anyways, GOOD LUCK with your wait! I hope you're able to get tickets and see the show!!

ashk8177
#1629Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 10:33am

Em6 said: "casedilla2 said: 
There is a guy who frequently resells tickets outside the theater that are legit (at least, I've never seen/heard of anyone having problems with them), but I'm not sure it's the same guy. He usually tries to sell them for $300 each.

"Yes, there is a guy from the Marriott concierge who comes around before the show.  He's legit.  You'll actually have to do the purchase at the Marriott concierge counter.  

A couple next to us got their tix from them.  The seats were at the balcony though, so we backed out from doing the purchase."

"

Question- what time did he start selling for $300? I'm willing to do balcony, but yesterday he was trying to get $700 for them at about 5:15. Can't go quite that high :-/

Sunshine31
#1630Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 10:55am

Great post @SMSLP! 

Updated On: 5/17/16 at 10:55 AM

pickles2
#1631Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 10:56am

Would a line sitter even agree to see the show if their client bought the tickets? Isn't that three hours that they could be spending resting to prepare for their next waiting gig? I could see them agreeing maybe once as a novelty but I doubt they would want to do it night after night.

meepsnyc
#1632Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 11:03am

pickles2 said: "Would a line sitter even agree to see the show if their client bought the tickets? Isn't that three hours that they could be spending resting to prepare for their next waiting gig? I could see them agreeing maybe once as a novelty but I doubt they would want to do it night after night.

"

If it was a question of landing the sitting job and making the money vs. not, I'm sure they wouldn't say no. After all, they could always leave partway if they had somewhere to be, but I think that would be crazy, not to mention disrespectful. I think most of them enjoy the show! Who wouldn't?? :)

Em6
#1633Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 11:03am

ashk8177 said:
Question- what time did he start selling for $300? I'm willing to do balcony, but yesterday he was trying to get $700 for them at about 5:15. Can't go quite that high :-/"

"The guy from the Marriott Concierge was there probably an hour and half before the show."

pickles2
#1634Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 11:24am

meepsnyc said: 
"

If it was a question of landing the sitting job and making the money vs. not, I'm sure they wouldn't say no. After all, they could always leave partway if they had somewhere to be, but I think that would be crazy, not to mention disrespectful. I think most of them enjoy the show! Who wouldn't?? :)

"

I suppose. I never waited on the cancellation line so I don't know how many nights a week the same sitter from, say, SOLD does it and how long his breaks between sitting jobs are. And I'm sure they would enjoy the show, it just seems like a lot of time to give up ever night. They wouldn't be paid for the three hours they spent in the theater, which they could be spending on another line.

gatorgirl2
#1635Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 11:46am

Em6 said: "ashk8177 said:
Question- what time did he start selling for $300? I'm willing to do balcony, but yesterday he was trying to get $700 for them at about 5:15. Can't go quite that high :-/"

"The guy from the Marriott Concierge was there probably an hour and half before the show."

"

For what it's worth people on here have said that the dude selling tickets to the cancellation line (not Marriott dude) buys then from the crowd filtering in for the show (that have extra or unneeded tickets). So maybe you could try asking the theater crowd as they go in so you don't have to pay scalper costs. Better to sell to a fan than a scalper if it was me. 

impossible_dream
#1636Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 12:17pm

Hi all, I'm a broke college student and diehard Hamilton fan who's visiting New York in the next couple weeks. I have the time to sit, so I'd be happy to pair up with someone -- you pay for my ticket and yours, in exchange for me waiting overnight to secure 2 tickets.

I may have a friend who's interested as well -- so if she waits with me, we could secure 4 tickets in total (2 for us and 2 for you).

Just gauging interest right now, so please PM me if you're interested.

Lori H2
#1637Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 12:23pm

Thanks SMSLP for your lovely post.  Last week when I was on the cancellation line Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday the SOLD folks had clients with small - under 10 years old  kids.  There is no way small kids could wait in line and then be in any condition to see the show.  We are all in line because we love the show.  

If we are going to be upset about anything it should be that the Scientology music becomes an ear worm that just won't die.

Best of luck gang.

SMSLP
#1638Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 12:37pm

Lori H2, they didn't have music blasting in March, thank goodness! And yes, I agree; kids and everyone in line and in the theater would be miserable with that wait! Did you get in?

ATAOAM
#1639Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 12:51pm

Ditto that. 14 white faces all sitting comfortably on the steps on the outside. No one standing for endless hours over by the Marriott.  Very interesting.

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#1640Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 1:33pm

pickles2 said: "Would a line sitter even agree to see the show if their client bought the tickets? Isn't that three hours that they could be spending resting to prepare for their next waiting gig? I could see them agreeing maybe once as a novelty but I doubt they would want to do it night after night.

"

Even if you bought the ticket, they don't have to stay. I guess you could just look at the $177 into the total fee but like another person said, it's a shame that you'd have to do that in order to follow the rules and then deny someone else a seat. 

sundaymourning6am
#1641Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 1:35pm

Wow, I guess everyone is a little bit (or a lot) racist. 

jdra
#1642Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 1:39pm

sundaymourning6am said: "Wow, I guess everyone is a little bit (or a lot) racist. "

My thought exactly.

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#1643Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 1:41pm

sundaymourning6am said: "Wow, I guess everyone is a little bit (or a lot) racist. 

"

I don't think that's what the poster meant. The popular line sitting services are minority owned and employees are mostly black. Most of the non sitters are white. It's a shame that the sitting is over because it did employ a lot of young black people and the job was pulled out with no warning. Sucks. 

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#1644Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 1:44pm

sundaymourning6am said: "Wow, I guess everyone is a little bit (or a lot) racist. 

Oh please. Guess people have to look for offense everywhere.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

schubox
#1645Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 1:47pm

Sitters seem to really be gone. After reading on here that none of them were in line I emailed SOLD, who usually gets back to me in minutes and I haven't heard from them in over 24 hours. Gotta psych myself to sit I guess. Any guess what kind of chance I have for tickets to a Saturday show (matinee or night) if I get there at like 5AM? Hoping to snag premiums if possible

MyFavoriteBrunette Profile Photo
MyFavoriteBrunette
#1646Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 1:56pm

Hamilton Cancellation LineHellob said: "It's a shame that the sitting is over because it did employ a lot of young black people and the job was pulled out with no warning. Sucks."

Latinos out of round the clock Hamilton line sitting work, too =(

broadwayfever
#1647Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 1:59pm

SMSLP said: "People are celebrating the fact that these employees, offering a legal service (and not against the rules until recently), are no longer able to work, and it is almost universally assumed that those using them have more money than sense. I also have read frequently that "true" fans will get up and do what needs to be done. Here is the problem I have with all of these assumptions: I have worked for years with people with physical limitations that would keep them from being able to participate in the line. From MS, post-stroke, heart conditions, heat/cold insensitivity (as you see often with MS; it can cause a relapse), to cancer/chemotherapy, sun sensitivity due to life-sustaining medications, joint replacements: there are people out in this world that are just as big of a fan as someone who can't afford a ticket that may have saved for months/years to have spending money. Those people may have seen the cancellation line and heard of the line sitter option and thought, "wow! I can use this money I have sold things to have, saved to have, earned by whatever means I could, and this service could allow me to hold my spot in line so I have a shot at a ticket." This service is a gamble, no matter where you are in the line, but they feel it would be worth it. I don't think this is an isolated option; I bet that there are more of these instances than not. And I bet if you asked any one of those people if they would rather have their health or money, they would choose health every time. How do I know this? I am one of them. It is shocking to me that the "it's not fair" mentality comes out of the mouths of people who have their health and at least enough money to be standing in line at all. What further concerns me is that I could try to go stand in line and, based on many people's comments here on this thread, get my picture taken and used as a way to kick me out of the line if I have to take a break for medical reasons. This self-policing situation that has been developed has merit to an extent, but the extent to which people have proclaimed they will "self-enforce" the line also needs to be monitored. Have some compassion for people in that line; you never have a full idea of what is going on with them, what challenges they face on a daily basis, and what they are sacrificing to be there to witness greatness. It could be money, it could be time, it could be more than comfort; it could be their long-term health. If you see someone targeting someone else who swaps out or takes a quick break, please make sure you understand the whole story before you stand by and allow that to occur. "

The problem was that many line sitters were abusing the rules...such as leaving the line for hours and then suddenly showing up. With these new rules in place, you can still hire a line sitter to wait for you...you'll just have to treat them to see the show with you.

Jennabee
#1648Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 2:05pm

schubox said: "Sitters seem to really be gone. After reading on here that none of them were in line I emailed SOLD, who usually gets back to me in minutes and I haven't heard from them in over 24 hours. Gotta psych myself to sit I guess."

Wow.  Thanks for this update.

broadwayfever
#1649Hamilton Cancellation Line
Posted: 5/17/16 at 2:17pm

Hellob said: "I don't think that's what the poster meant. The popular line sitting services are minority owned and employees are mostly black. Most of the non sitters are white. It's a shame that the sitting is over because it did employ a lot of young black people and the job was pulled out with no warning. Sucks."

Don't worry, they have plenty of other line sitting jobs all over the city. I've talked to a couple of them in the past and the used to tell me that they would turn down several Hamilton line sitting jobs because of other lesser grueling line sitting jobs or because of other type of jobs that were much easier to make money without having to wait 24 to 36 hours. Also, several have other jobs that have nothing to do with line sitting.

Again, if you still want to help them out, hire them to wait for you and treat them to the show...it's a win-win situation.