DAVID DARREN
#1Casting directors
Posted: 3/14/15 at 11:59am

Who would I be cast as and why?

be specifc, judging from my picture. Baritone, 22

Bwaydide92
#2Casting directors
Posted: 3/14/15 at 12:01pm

That's not how casting works. Not at all.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#2Casting directors
Posted: 3/14/15 at 12:09pm

Rose Hovick. No question.

DAVID DARREN Profile Photo
DAVID DARREN
#3Casting directors
Posted: 3/14/15 at 12:33pm

Cupid would LOVE to be cast as her if I was female haha

And Bway, are you saying you can't make a judgement on how a person looks? they obviously have to fit the role!

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#4Casting directors
Posted: 3/14/15 at 12:40pm

Perhaps you're thinking about "typing" that occurs at some auditions. No casting director looks at a picture with a note about voice type and says, "That's it! That's my (insert role here)!" Resumes, auditions, and readings exist so people aren't cast based on looks.

How you look plays into how/if you're cast, but by no means is it everything.

DAVID DARREN
#5Casting directors
Posted: 3/14/15 at 12:45pm

Yes I guess I worded this wrongly, what would be my 'typing'

I need opinions in order to develop my singing repertoire.

Bwaydide92
#6Casting directors
Posted: 3/14/15 at 1:12pm

But you said be specific. Types aren't specific. Learn as many songs in your range as you possibly can from different genres and character types. Work on your acting and stretch yourself and you will be cast in many things. A good actor can morph themselves into what is needed for the character.

Wilmingtom
#7Casting directors
Posted: 3/14/15 at 1:27pm

No offense meant but get a better picture.

DAVID DARREN
#8Casting directors
Posted: 3/14/15 at 2:40pm

None taken, thanks for your opinion.

I made this on my iPhone for a temporary headshot however having a proper shoot in two weeks :)

Wilmingtom
#9Casting directors
Posted: 3/14/15 at 2:43pm

^ :)

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#10Casting directors
Posted: 3/17/15 at 2:10pm

Arpad in She Loves Me
Hugo Peabody in Bye Bye Birdie
Bibi in The Happy Time

Straight Plays
Eugene in Brighton Beach Memoirs
The teen in Ah Wilderness (don't remember his name)

Sorry no one took you seriously.

neonlightsxo
#11Casting directors
Posted: 3/17/15 at 2:12pm

There are typing workshops in NYC that you can take just for this purpose. This board is not the place.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#12Casting directors
Posted: 3/17/15 at 2:49pm

90 WPM

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#13Casting directors
Posted: 3/17/15 at 4:43pm

Why isn't this board the place? It's broadway related. I'm sure OP wasn't going to make permanent theatrical decisions based on what strangers on the internet think. Surely they just wanted to get a sense of how casting directors (or in this case, theatre fanatics) perceive them sans acting/singing/dancing ability. Of course you can and should always expand your repertoire but what David initially asked for is harmless. That being said, I'm not sure why some posters on bww constantly respond in harsh/annoyed tones.

so I smile like Mona Lisa and I lay my Visa down

neonlightsxo
#14Casting directors
Posted: 3/17/15 at 4:46pm

Seahag, if you don't like it, you can leave.

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#15Casting directors
Posted: 3/17/15 at 4:51pm

It's not enough for me to leave, I find conversations on these boards extremely interesting and insightful (for the most part). I just didn't expect this kind of environment from a broadway forum, especially one visited by mostly adults. Usually this behavior is found in pre-teen boards.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#16Casting directors
Posted: 3/17/15 at 5:02pm

All right, now you know:
Life is crummy.
Well, now you know.

I mean, big surprise:
People love you and tell you lies.
Bricks can fall out of clear blue skies.
Put your dimple down,
Now you know.

....but the world goes 'round

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#17Casting directors
Posted: 3/17/15 at 5:17pm

that the poster is sadly mistaken that anyone here is a Casting agent OR that they'd be willing to give him advice for free that is usually paid for?
THATS immature.

Everyone else is simply being realistic.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#18Casting directors
Posted: 3/17/15 at 5:24pm

I just didn't expect this kind of environment from a broadway forum, especially one visited by mostly adults. Usually this behavior is found in pre-teen boards."

You'll find it on any internet boards/forums, regardless of the ages. The boards are a slice of life, and there are all kinds of people on them.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#19Casting directors
Posted: 3/17/15 at 5:29pm

The young man was looking for direction and instruction and thought someone on here
might have some insight. Based on the picture, which could be deceiving, I gave him some suggestions. I don't think criticizing why he asked for help here or making catty remarks serves anyone.

dramamama611
#20Casting directors
Posted: 3/17/15 at 5:38pm

Except he asked for Casting Directors. Not average joe's opinion. Why would ANYONE take advice from a bunch of strangers....especially those he has no knowledge of whatsoever??

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BroadwayFan1231
#21Casting directors

Definitely go for songs sung by characters in your own age range!

dramamama611
#22Casting directors

Not to mention he started the same exact thread on the off topic board a few days ago and got the same sort of responses.

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#23Casting directors
Posted: 3/17/15 at 5:40pm

I wouldn't say it's immature, more likely it's him being naive.
And would it really be that huge of an opportunity cost to give OP just a handful of roles they look like they'd fit? It's not like they're asking for a handbook about show business that's tailored to their specific situation.

And I've visited many different forums for many different things (tv shows, books, hobbies, college prep, cooking) and the general consensus is that those members are excited to meet others with the same interests. The aura of this forum closely resembles that of a video game with a fan base demographic between the ages of 8-15

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#24Casting directors
Posted: 3/17/15 at 5:42pm

The way I understood the subject title was that OP wanted other posters to pretend they were a casting director and tell him what they'd do. However I may have just comprehended it that way because I didn't want to believe that someone actually thinks real casting directors scour this site for the next big thing

Updated On: 3/17/15 at 05:42 PM

Videos