PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#25Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/19/15 at 6:09pm

Mazel tov to all involved.

ZannaDo
#26Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/19/15 at 8:06pm

MOUSTACHA, the point is that advance figures published for all shows generally include A/R group sales, so if you're comparing Hamilton's advance to the advances of other shows, you'd have to include that to make a fair comparison.

brdway411
#27Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/19/15 at 11:19pm

I am glad it is selling well. You can include me in the people that thought this would be a tough sell in the Richard Rodgers. I thought the house was too big and they should go for a smaller theater (following the Book of Mormon example, smaller theater bigger demand for tickets). I was wrong. Good for them, I just hope they can keep it up. I was expecting Bloody, Bloody AJ, all over again (Which I loved and saw many times both at The Public and on B'way.) Looking forward to seeing how Hamilton has shaped up since the last time I saw it at The Public (saw it early in previews).

After Eight
#28Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/20/15 at 12:24am

Goes to show what hype can do.

What a world.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#29Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/20/15 at 12:41am

Well when orchestra seats are 277 and cheap seats are 120 it adds up quickly.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

ZannaDo
#30Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/20/15 at 1:18am

I'm so tired of this pearl clutching over Hamilton's ticket prices. Their "cheap seats" are actually $57. They're the same as any other big name show out there. Also, the Off-Broadway run has shown how in demand the show is, tickets are $500+ on the secondhand market. I'd rather see the show charge $277 for premium seats and have the money go back into the production instead of into the hands of ticket scalpers.

People should be thrilled that a new musical without an above-the-title star can command this kind of financial success, hopefully it will encourage producers to take more risks and produce more shows like this one.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#31Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/20/15 at 4:15am

Almost no one is doing that .

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mr Smith
#32Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/20/15 at 6:11am

In a world where musicals close, big ones with big names. Based on movies flopping its so reassuring that people want original musicals. I hope this does well and I seriously hope it lasts a long time.

Liza's Headband
#33Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/20/15 at 8:33am

MOUSTACHA.

Your inaccurate thinking goes against all business 101 fundamentals and logic. Whether it's commercial theatre or a private corporation, Accounts Receivables are always credited toward projected future revenue and can be included in an 'advance.' When a venture capitalist determines the value of a company, for example, they do not throw out the A/R. They include it. It's an important part of determining future revenue and potential growth rate, which would impact one's ROI.

neonlightsxo
#34Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/20/15 at 9:32am

brdway411, what are you talking about? The O'Neill seats 1100. The Rodgers is 1300. They're almost the same size.

Also, Bettyboy, that's not true. "Well when orchestra seats are 277 and cheap seats are 120 it adds up quickly."

The rear mezz is $57. Not $120 for cheap seats. The rear mezz price is cheaper than they're going for at the Public.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#35Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/20/15 at 9:59am

It also seems likely to me that there will be discounts or promotions closer to previews to gin up even more excitement. Tickets for $10, for $17.76, or whatever.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

MOUSTACHA Profile Photo
MOUSTACHA
#36Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/20/15 at 10:01am

ZannaDo: I am unaware of any official postings of advances, and I hope you prove me wrong. Shows have nothing to gain by publishing an official advance.

Liza's Headband: I assure you, in commercial theatre management is not included in a reported advance number. I see wraps for Broadway shows and from houses across the country for tours - unpaid groups is NEVER included. Ever.

Now you seem to have missed the point of my last post.
Is unpaid groups considered in decisions? of course.
Is it on the reports for sales? of course.
But it's not part of the actual advance in a commercial theatre. It's a fine point, and I think we think of these numbers the same way, but I believe it's important to make sure we are describing things accurately and to industry standard.

The advance for a theatre is always the actual money you have. As soon as that unpaid group pays for their tickets, that money is moved over to the advance. What you're saying is correct in theory - that that unpaid number is considered in decision making. That said, I promise you Jeffrey Seller is saying, "We have a $6.5m advance with $4m in unpaid group orders", not "We have $10m in the bank." Why? because they don't have 10m in the bank.

EDIT: http://playbill.com/news/article/hamilton-sells-6.5-million-worth-of-broadway-tickets-in-11-days-344647
Even playbill says: "Sells 6.5 million worth of tickets in 11 days... with 4 million in group orders" Updated On: 3/20/15 at 10:01 AM

neonlightsxo
#37Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/20/15 at 12:48pm

Advances are frequently reported to the press, you must not be paying attention. "Nothing to gain"? That's wrong too. It gives them more publicity to show they're selling well.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/28/us-theatre-fishinthedark-idUSKBN0KZ21J20150128

MOUSTACHA Profile Photo
MOUSTACHA
#38Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/20/15 at 2:05pm

1) I don't know why this is even an argument. I was imply stated the industry definition of an advance to bring the title of the post into context.

2) This article you've posted ( 1/28 ) was reporting an actual sales advance from an onsale that started 10/6. That's 114 selling days to accumulate 13.5 million. That's entirely possible considering Hamilton got to 6.5 million in eleven days.

3) Yes, a show might want to post their advance for press early on, but the idea that telling everyone your advance is a net gain over the life of a show is crazy. You don't want to tell everyone your blockbuster has an advance for 20 million, then have to say a year later it's only 5 million. You'd only be hastening your closing notice. It's a marathon, not a race. You don't want to tell your competitors how much fuel you have left.

dramamama611
#39Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/20/15 at 3:45pm

Nothing to gain? Really? It's to make those of us that haven't yet bought tix to think we might be missing the next big thing and hurry to spend money.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

neonlightsxo
#40Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/20/15 at 4:04pm

MOUSTACHA, you're the one who started arguing.

Pootie2
#41Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/20/15 at 4:23pm

I think MOUSTACHA is completely discounting any effect of "buzz."

Numbers that imply "Tickets are selling well, so you probably want to reserve earlier for preferred dates and good seats" provide pretty darn good buzz.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#42Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/25/15 at 12:32pm

Looks like Groff will be available to continue with the show...
EW

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#43Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/25/15 at 12:40pm

Groff will be the only reason I see this.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#44Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/25/15 at 12:41pm

Well, his character is on stage for less than 10 minutes.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

dramamama611
#45Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/25/15 at 1:52pm

WHY? When nearly everyone is raving about it, why would he be the only reason you want to go?

I can't wait, and just hope tix aren't sold out too soon as I can't yet make plans for which day in July I'll be going.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#46Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/25/15 at 1:57pm

Looks to me as though the mezzanine isn't selling as well as the orchestra. They will probably need to have a discount code at some point.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#47Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/25/15 at 2:30pm

Lol mama - I was half-kidding. I love Groff, but I'll see this with or without him. Sit down.

WOSQ
#48Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 3/26/15 at 9:51am

There's an old show biz story:

The producer had a big flop on his hands. One night there was a wrap of four dollars for the performance. He ran into another producer who expressed sympathy for this public failure.

"Can you believe it?", the producer replied, "Last night we only did eight dollars!"

Lesson: everybody in show business exaggerates.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#49Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 4/2/15 at 3:34pm

LMM Tweet

Looks like Javier Muñoz will be a regular fixture.  Would love to see him in the role...heck, I'd love to see this again at the Public Theater and I don't care who's in the role!

Also, Love the Zelda/Mario reference.  Spoken as a true child of the 90s.