When in doubt, fact check.

Lambda Legal fact checks Indiana governor’s statements on ‘This Week’ interview

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#51Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 9:26am

The law actually has an out for us written in it:

“...any exercise of religion, whether or not compelled by, or central to, a system of religious belief.”

Just say homosexuality is an exercise of religion. The law says you don't need any evidence to support it. BAM! Can't discriminate.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#52Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 9:45am

Are there any posters here who live in Indiana?

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#53Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 9:45am

Pence is holding a press conference at 11 AM to clarify the law. The talking heads on the news right now make it seem like he's going to add a provision to the law saying that you can't use it to discriminate against anyone. And if that happens, I'm sure he'll say that was his plan all along. Idiot.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#54Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 10:03am

Growly, a close friend of mine lives in Muncie (he's a professor at the hilariously-named Ball State). He said that many local businesses are hanging "everyone is welcome" signs.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 3/31/15 at 10:03 AM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#55Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 10:07am

The republican mayor of Indianapolis is calling for the classification of LGBT people as a protected class and that he would issue an executive order that would essentially override the law.

link

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 3/31/15 at 10:07 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#56Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 10:13am

I went to college at the University of Notre Dame, which is in South Bend. If there was ever town and college that had a strained relationship, this would be it. So much so, that the University was able to get its own mailing address, so that mail was addressed to "Notre Dame, IN" as opposed to "South Bend, IN." The town of South Bend was economically depressed and quite conservative. The school was, and still is, a peculiar thing. The administration remains steadfastly conservative, but much of the faculty (and student body) is quite liberal. It was an interesting paradox. There were all kinds of rules about who was to be where and at what time- boys were not allowed in the girls dorms after 10:00 and vice-versa, which I always found amusing since that had no effect on my own dalliances.

I abhor the administration and will continue withholding any donation to the alumni association until they change their official stance. And I have no problem telling them that whenever they call asking for money.

I haven't heard or read of any official statement from the University yet. I would be very curious to see where they stand in all of this.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#57Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 10:13am

Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act

Powerful front-page editorial in today's Indianapolis Star

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#58Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 10:14am

I saw yesterday that he's going to hold that conference. I am completely confused by this.

So he's going to say that the law doesn't give anyone the right to discriminate.

So does that mean that bible thumping bakers can't deny a gay couple service?

In which case why have a new law at all?

Man, what a cluster-F*CK.

....but the world goes 'round

themysteriousgrowl
#59Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 10:16am

AC126748, that's awesome.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

themysteriousgrowl
#60Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 10:20am

I DON'T HAVE A TV BECAUSE I'M AWESOME.

Has CNN been covering this? Will they cover this press conference? I'd like to watch, but I can't stream it from work.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#61Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 10:25am

Growl, I use this link -

http://www.hulkuss.com/watch-msnbc-live-streaming/

to stream MSNBC, which will be airing the press conference.

themysteriousgrowl
#62Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 10:28am

Thank you, Jordan, but my stupid work has insane web filters. We can't get most video content, and this doesn't work, either. Maybe I'll try to sneak out and see if I can grab it on my phone.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#63Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 10:30am

Are there any posters here who live in Indiana?

I believe IndyTallGuy, who has been posting on the thread on the Main Board, is from Indiana.

Indiana Boycott - Broadway tours

themysteriousgrowl
#64Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 10:34am

Thank you, PJ. I didn't even see that thread.

FindingNamo
#65Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 11:38am

I'm watching Pence's press conference. He's a few steps from needing a Darth Vader mask. The dapper, neat, perfectly coiffed gentleman is a respiratory nightmare.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#66Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 12:23pm

All he did was blame the media for a smear campaign on the bill.

He says he wants a "fix". How do you fix something that is inherently discriminatory?

Especially since he wouldn't get into the actual language he wants to see.

I can't believe how clueless he is.

....but the world goes 'round

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#67Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 12:27pm

Collateral damage: Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, Bobby Jindal and Ted Cruz, all of whom rushed to defend him and will now have to backtrack.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#68Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 1:09pm

"Just say homosexuality is an exercise of religion. The law says you don't need any evidence to support it. BAM! Can't discriminate."

Judy-ism? And whom exactly would we be discriminating against?

bwaychae5192 Profile Photo
bwaychae5192
#69Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 1:39pm

I'm also living in Indiana right now while I finish my last semester of college. I'm in southern Indiana - Evansville, to be precise.

About half of the major/notable universities in the state (including mine, as of 30 mins ago) have released statements against the RFRA. A lot of businesses in Evansville are against the bill. There was a peaceful protest downtown yesterday against the RFRA, too.

Strange to think that the general public seems to be very much against this bill. Seems that Pence and his cronies are dead-set on making the people of Indiana as miserable as possible.

Every living soul has got a voice - you've got to give it room and let it sing.

Mister Matt
#70Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 2:13pm

And whom exactly would we be discriminating against?

They can refuse to cut the hair of anyone they perceive as hetero! Or coordinating one of those trendy opposite-sex weddings! Refuse to perform in that Sondheim musical if you see straight people in the audience! EXERCISE YOUR RELIGION!

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#71Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 2:29pm

That was his breathing? I thought there was something wrong with the sound.

Stephanatic

Liza's Headband
#72Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 2:29pm

Almost as wrong as the homophobic views you espoused on this message board late last year.

FindingNamo
#73Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 2:30pm

Concrete ways you are going to support the boycott of Indiana while making sure your brothers and sisters there are not hurt by the boycott, 'band?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none
Updated On: 3/31/15 at 02:30 PM

Mister Matt
#74Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Posted: 3/31/15 at 2:34pm

Who is the headache addressing?

Videos