An Act of God Previews

Keiichi2 Profile Photo
Keiichi2
#1An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/7/15 at 9:28am

So, is anyone going to see this tonight or over the weekend?

Unfortunately, I will miss this one, but I enjoyed seeing Parsons in Harvey a couple years ago, and am sure he will be good here.

Looking forward to the response to this one!

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#2An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/7/15 at 10:20am

I'm really looking forward to seeing Parsons on Broadway. I didn't see him in Harvey and didn't want to miss out again.

This part isn't fully on-topic but I like to give credit when nice things happen. I was supposed to see this show next Saturday 5/16 as a mother's day gift for my mom. I bought the tickets month ago. We had something come up regarding care for my 93 year old grandmother and there was a no returns or exchanges policy. It took a couple of phone calls but between Telecharge and the Shubert organization, some nice people helped me out and allowed an exchange. I actually ended up getting better seats for $10 less each.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Keiichi2 Profile Photo
Keiichi2
#2An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/7/15 at 1:13pm

That's wonderful!  Congratulations, and enjoy the show!

perfectliar
#3An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/7/15 at 5:03pm

I'm going tomorrow and will comment over the weekend. An Act of God Previews

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#4An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/7/15 at 6:28pm

Have a great time!

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

LightsOut90
#5An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/8/15 at 12:33am

anyone?

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#6An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/8/15 at 1:18am

I'm dying to hear what this one's like! C'mon, guys! :)

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#7An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/8/15 at 9:55am

For those of you who didn't see (or opted out of) emails from TodayTix, they are offering a lotto for preview performances of An Act of God!

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#8An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/8/15 at 10:15am

^ Thanks for making it harder for all of us to win lol.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#9An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/8/15 at 10:40am

Sorry, bjh! I don't think this will prove too difficult since it's not a part of the current Tony Awards sensation, but everyone here at least ought to have a fair shake.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#10An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/8/15 at 11:19am

Haha it's fine.  I was joking.

BroadwayLuv2 Profile Photo
BroadwayLuv2
#11An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/8/15 at 12:21pm

Does anyone have any details on the lottery?  How many tickets are given out for each performance?  Any announcement on general rush or standing room tickets?  I couldn't find anything. 

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#12An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/8/15 at 1:02pm

BroadwayLuv2, no announcement of a student or general rush or a permanent lottery.

Right now, TodayTix is offering a virtual lotto for preview performances only. You can enter for up to 2 tickets, and they're $37 each. You must pay cash only at the box office if you win, after claiming the tickets through the app within an hour of the notification.

BroadwayLuv2 Profile Photo
BroadwayLuv2
#13An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/8/15 at 1:42pm

Thanks for the info Piano Man!

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#14An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/8/15 at 5:07pm

I just got one of those Better Luck Next Time! emails that are so familiar from Hamilton.

But the Act of God people evidently have a sense of humor. The email says, Unfortunately, you are not one of God's chosen people for today's performance!

LimelightMike
#15An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/9/15 at 1:21am

Bumpin' ain't easy!

Can someone, anyone comment on this thread who has actually SEEN this?

I'm dying here, lol

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#16An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/9/15 at 1:38am

"I just got one of those Better Luck Next Time! emails that are so familiar from Hamilton.
But the Act of God people evidently have a sense of humor. The email says, Unfortunately, you are not one of God's chosen people for today's performance!"

I didn't read the emails (I've lost for all 2 of their performances so far), but that's hysterical.

Also, I'm dying to know how it was!

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

LightsOut90
#17An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/9/15 at 2:16am

someone that work there told me this is the general idea.

Potentially spoilers.

God has come down to earth in the form of Big Bang Theory star Jim Parsons (because he's likable without being too offensive) to deliver his new 10 commandments, and what better place then the most sinful place in the world......... Studio 54.

Its essentially 90 minutes of Jim as God sitting on a couch and delivering the new 10 commandments and defending his decisions of the last 1000 years and ultimately ends up taking a big stab at those that use religion to perpetuate hate and bigotry. He said story wise its not phenomenal but that its VERY VERY funny.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#18An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/9/15 at 10:27am

I'm looking forward to hearing from people who've seen this as well, but if you'd like to get a good idea of the type of humor you'll see, just go to Twitter and search @TheTweetOfGod.  "God" is a great follow.  Of course, "God" is the writer of the show, David Javerbaum.  You could also get his book: "The Last Testament.  A Memoir by God."  It's all very very funny.

This is not Javerbaum's first Broadway effort (though it may be God's).  He was one of the writers of the musical "Cry Baby" that opened (and closed) in 2008.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

perfectliar
#19An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/9/15 at 12:33pm

This is a really inconsequential little play. There's no real plot to speak of (God speaks through Jim Parsons to deliver 10 new commandments), but it's often funny. A lot of the jokes are, surprisingly, new to me. You'd think that the world had run out of Adam & Steve jokes, but the twist on that here is fresh and funny (and hardly any of the jokes are all that blasphemous; Book of Mormon, this isn't). The same can't be said of the few dramatic moments, but I'll get to those in a moment.

Jim Parsons is a funny guy. He has a cabinet filled with Emmys and other awards to attest to that. But he's not really playing a character here; he's playing himself. It's basically 85 minutes of scripted stand-up comedy. He's entertaining, and he's more than capable of carrying the show, but the show itself doesn't have much to it. It's an extended monologue delivered almost entirely from a couch set downstage center in front of a white staircase (the rest of the set is three circles that grow in size from the center, where rolling clouds are projected for most of the show, to encompass all the open space from floor to ceiling). I will say, though, that it's both shocking and entertaining to hear Jim Parsons say things like, "He was ripped, cut, hung like a fig tree, and a total power bottom." The biggest flaw in the script, however, is the inclusion of two sidekick angels.

Christopher Fitzgerald is Michael, and he spends much of the first half-hour or so wandering through the audience taking questions. This starts off innocuous enough, with silly questions like, "What came first, the chicken or the egg?" ("Neither, the rooster came first.") But it devolves into an attempt at drama that is completely unsuccessful, with Michael raging against God that children with cancer, war, slavery, etc., isn't fair, and God is a masochist for making people suffer. Then he pouts upstage on a staircase while God tries to explain that he's just "an a**hole" with "wrath management issues." Gabriel is only there to read out passages of the Bible that God claims are often misinterpreted, or to set up stories that relate thematically to the new commandments. It's a thankless, boring role, and I felt bad that Tim Kazurinsky just had to sit there and watch most of the show. Neither role has any real purpose, and also considering how charismatic Parsons is, they don't need to be there at all.

The last few moments of the show were the strongest, I think. There's a musical number that kind of comes out of nowhere, but Michael and Gabriel finally get a moment to do something as God's backup singers and dancers, and the special effects that end the evening are wonderfully realized.

If you guys have specific questions, I'll try to answer them the best that I can. My thoughts are still kind of scattered, just like the show was, so apologies if this doesn't make total sense.

A1st
#20An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/9/15 at 12:34pm

Saw the show last night.

I thought it was very enjoyable and very funny. I thought parsons was great as were his two angels. Its a very creative idea, and I think they executed it very well.  Set, Costumes and Lighting were very well done as well.  Parsons has one of the funniest damn entrances I've seen (Won't post what it is, don't want to spoil it). 

Structurally, I think the show is actually very similar to HEDWIG. God and Hedwig both talk about things that they have done and that have happened to them. They are both very sassy and love interacting with the audience.

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Gabriel and Yitzhak both make the respective characters reflect upon themselves and they both essentially loose it close to the end of the show. Sitting at act of god and watching this scene made me think: "Oh so if this were a musical it would be exquisite corpse right here" And then be the end the God launches a new universe and he leaves to go to his new world, just as hedwig enters a new world with Yitzhak as a drag queen.

END OF SPOILERS!!!!!!!

Overall, I thought it was a great show and I feel if it finds the right audience it will be very successful!

LimelightMike
#21An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/9/15 at 6:55pm

WAAAIIIT!

There's audience participation in this?! Elaborate, please!

LimelightMike
#22An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/9/15 at 7:07pm

Double post!

Updated On: 5/10/15 at 07:07 PM

A1st
#23An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/9/15 at 9:11pm

Very minimal interaction, nothing to the caliber of hedwig. Michael the angel goes down in the audience throughout the show and asks god questions that are supposedly from the audience. So he asks someone their name (let's say jim) and then Michael would ask god "Jim has a question for you- Which came first the chicken or the egg" Also there were latecomers last night so parsons had no problem calling them out. Essentially the whole show breaks the fourth wall, as parsons frequently addresses the audience.

LimelightMike
#24An Act of God Previews
Posted: 5/10/15 at 12:09am

Also? Is the stage high for this? Worth sitting in premium seats down front -- Front row is $360. That's not happening. Maybe back a few rows? lol