pixeltracker

Fun home or an American in Paris?- Page 4

Fun home or an American in Paris?

FindingNamo
#75Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/23/15 at 5:40pm

I find it much more interesting to know what goes into a statement like "I'm not interested" rather than that alone being the reason.  So I thank you for taking the time to explain it.

I've personally never been able to listen to a cast recording of a show I've never seen.  To me it would be like going to a movie where the projector bulb is shut off.  Or whatever they're called now that there aren't film or bulbs.  I know a lot of people do it, but for me it's like having half an experience.

Your economics make perfect sense too.  And hell, if Fun Home actually goes and plays in Iowa, it truly will be a revolutionary show.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

ebontoyan
#76Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/23/15 at 5:51pm

Also in Iowa, for the last 10 years the prior year's Tony Best Musical winner has visited Iowa so either AAIP or FH will be here in the 2016-2017 season

FindingNamo
#77Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/23/15 at 5:59pm

Well, I think "Fun Home" will cause controversy.  I'll be interested to see how the tour goes.

cknick
#78Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/23/15 at 6:41pm

I would love to see FUN HOME win best musical, but not sure it will.  As someone said, it feels more like a play than a musical and to me that's why it's groundbreaking.  Not because of the subject matter, but the way the show is crafted, the exquisite score and how it weaves with the book scenes to tell the story all make it a "new kind of musical" (for lack of a better phrase).  It transcends being labeled as a "musical" or a "play". 

That said, I will be devastated if it doesn't win best score.  I mean, my gosh that music is haunting in a way we have not heard on Broadway in a long time. 

FindingNamo
#79Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/23/15 at 7:25pm

I don't think the show is the first of its kind in that way.  I mean, it's not even Tesori's first show that does all the things you're saying Fun Home is the first to do.

cknick
#80Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/23/15 at 7:34pm

FindingNamo, you're probably right, that's just what struck me about the show.  Thinking now about Tesori's other work, I see what you mean.  My main point is that I don't think the subject matter alone makes the show special.  It's just a really beautiful piece of theatre. 

Updated On: 5/23/15 at 07:34 PM

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#81Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/23/15 at 9:26pm

I have to be honest, I'm not super interested in Fun Home. I'll see it because it's nominated, but what I've seen of it and heard of the score has bored me out of my mind. AAIP spoke to me more as a dancer, so maybe my biases come from that.

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#82Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/23/15 at 10:28pm

Have no intention of getting cast album for either one. Cannot see any interest in repeated listening of either one especially Fun.Nothing against the show or its supporters but it simply did not grab me .

Poster Emeritus

FindingNamo
#83Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/24/15 at 12:45am

Besides not selling tickets, what are the elements of a show that grabs you?

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#84Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/24/15 at 5:13pm

Was at the show today (Fun Home). Loved it again. Did anyone else see Audra McDonald and Will Swenson in the audience? I'm almost certain it was them. 

Updated On: 5/24/15 at 05:13 PM

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#85Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/24/15 at 7:33pm

I didn't care for Fun Home the first time I listened to the cast recording,  but i understood that it was probably something special. 

It's now one of my favorite cast recordings and I find the score absolutely beautiful.  I can't imagine it not winning best musical.  I actually will be flying up to see it soon.

Some musicals, especially Tesori's, take more than one listen to really appreciate.  Fun Home is a subtle, tender show that may not have flashy dancing and sets, but rather a cast of beautiful actors that are singing and performing a gorgeous little show.

AAIP is probably gorgeous, but it will tour and be incredibly popular regardless of the award.  Fun Home NEEDS this award to stay alive.

I would rather see the little show win.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#86Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/24/15 at 7:41pm

^Well, seeing that two of the last three winners for Best Musical were the more inventive shows (Once, Gentleman's Guide) beating the more commercially viable shows (Newsies, Beautiful), so Fun Home could still have a chance.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#87Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/24/15 at 7:47pm

Believe The Visit needs it more than fun and liked the Visit much more.

Poster Emeritus

FindingNamo
#88Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/24/15 at 7:49pm

"Needs it"?  So really if something sells that's to be held against it and if something doesn't that's to be held against the audience and therefore the show "deserves" awards?  I'll say one thing, it sure is a world view all right.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#89Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/24/15 at 7:52pm

Did not take you long to chime in NAMO

Well done.

Poster Emeritus

FindingNamo
#90Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/24/15 at 7:59pm

I'm just trying to understand you.  After reading you for over a decade it seems you hold it against a show if it has good word of mouth and it sells.  And you only like shows that are not selling and you especially love them if they have bad word of mouth.  Is that about it?

I am really interested in what it is you like about shows other than that?  You say something "didn't grab" you or that the wife and yourself "didn't care for it"…. well, why?  What is it, besides external negative factors, that you like about a show?  What isn't it IN PARTICULAR that you didn't like about Fun Home?  Were you and the missus completely unable to relate to the story of a kid growing up dying to have a connection to her family and unable to forge one?  Was it the almost-incidental fact that she is a lesbian? What?  WHAT?  WHAT??

Updated On: 5/24/15 at 07:59 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#91Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/24/15 at 8:00pm

As a fan of Fun Home, obviously I know winning the award would be helpful to the show's box office, but ultimately what matters to me is that the show is recognized. The creative team took on an unusual source for a musical, both in terms of subject matter and its origin as a graphic memoir, and turned it into a beautiful piece. Fun Home not only tells a story about a queer woman, too rarely done in mainstream theatre, but it's also applicable to anyone because it's all about how so much of who were are comes from our parents and our families. It would be wonderful to see this recognized, not for any financial reason, but because it's work that is worthy of recognition for its skill and daring. Not to mention, in a field that is so heavily and historically dominated by men, it's high time a musical written by two women gets this award.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#92Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/24/15 at 8:07pm

Fun Home is selling just fine.  I'm saying that it's not a commercial show.  It needs good word of mouth and awards to help it survive for a long run though.

AAIP is an easy show to sell.  It's a big show with a well known title and a Gershwin score.  People will see it regardless of awards because it's familiar.

Updated On: 5/24/15 at 08:07 PM

FindingNamo
#93Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/24/15 at 8:16pm

We're all talking about variations on themes and in some cases (Roxy) completely different things.  I think Fun Home is a remarkable achievement and not at all surprised that some people go from thinking they don't like the score only to have its riches unfold for them on repeated listens. It is an ambitious work of art, and it seems like some people hold ambition against a show.  It definitely is a piece that rewards close attention and repeat listens and/or viewings.  It's accessible but it is not facile.  It's rewarding, but it's not a light entertainment. 

"too rarely done in mainstream theatre"

This is the first time in history that there has been an out lesbian protagonist in a Broadway musical.  I always wonder if that's in play when people say something vague about not being interested in the show.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#94Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/24/15 at 8:24pm

It wouldn't surprise me if the lesbian angle turned potential audiences away, especially since it's a fairly honest and nuanced portrayal of a lesbian character- it doesn't really on cheap or tired stereotypes, but Alison doesn't conform to a lot of gender norms and does so without any apologies. Fortunately, Lisa Kron and Jeanine Tesori didn't try to dilute any of Alison's character in order to appease heterosexual audiences, and I think the show is all the better for it.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

AAO26 Profile Photo
AAO26
#95Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/24/15 at 8:57pm

The Visit.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#96Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/24/15 at 8:59pm

Ok, this weekend I was able to see AAIP.  I did not fall in love, even though I have praise for many of its elements.  The dancing was gorgeous, but not being a true dance person, it was actually a bit much for me.  The music was also lovely, if rather lacking any surprise.  I found the performance also very strong.  However, I was a bit let down in the long run.  The story is thin, a bit too old fashioned and there were too many holes to really make the whole thing work for me in the end. I had no emotional connection to the piece at all. 

SO.....I'm team Fun Home all the way.  (Which, for the record, I loved every beautiful moment of.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

daleabrams
#97Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/24/15 at 9:29pm

The Visit

RingOfKeys2 Profile Photo
RingOfKeys2
#98Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/24/15 at 9:35pm

I really think Dr. Zhivago is gonna surprise us all. 

RingOfKeys2 Profile Photo
RingOfKeys2
#99Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/24/15 at 9:38pm

But in all seriousness I am gonna be very upset if Fun Home doesn't win Best Musical. Not because I am an admittedly biased fan, but because this year the Tony voters have the chance to recognize something truly groundbreaking and different. It would be a shame to pass up the opportunity and go with AAIP, which although is a perfectly decent show, has been done before and will be done again. I think Christopher Wheeldon would be perfectly worthy to walk away with a Tony for direction. His direction/staging, in my eyes, was the most inventive aspect of the show. But I don't see any real reason why it should beat Fun Home for the big prize. 

Videos