pixeltracker

Roger Rees has departed The Visit- Page 3

Roger Rees has departed The Visit

Brian07663NJ
#50Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 2:43pm

NY - I disagree. Found his performance to be consistent both Williamstown and Broadway. 

Liza's Headband
#51Roger Rees has departed The Visit

I also agree that while no one should be limited to what they can or cannot discuss, there is some basic humanity and sympathy and tactfulness and sensitivity that should probably be displayed in the confines of a conversation about a man's performance only days, weeks or months prior to his departure due to an extremely serious (and life-threatening) illness. That's all Bob is saying, Brian. 

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#52Roger Rees has departed The Visit

"Yes Bob - but this is a Broadway theater discussion board - not Roger Rees personal blog/website. We are here to discuss theater, shows, the performances and the performers..."

And we are discussing a performer. We're discussing the unfortunate condition he is in that required him to leave a show early. There is nothing about the rules on this website that claim we can ONLY discuss a performer's performance and nitpick, and really, the fact that the news of his having to leave due to illness only prompted you to discuss how bad he was in the role is kind of gross. 

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#53Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 2:48pm

"there is some basic humanity and sympathy and tactfulness and sensitivity that should probably be displayed in the confines of a conversation about a man's performance ...."

Do you think you should have used some of that humanity sympathy and tact in your post about his illness?

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Liza's Headband
#54Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 2:50pm

Since that post was deleted quickly thereafter and no longer exists, your question is trivial and unnecessary within the scope of this conversation. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#55Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 2:58pm

ANYWAYS. I know Brian and he's not a dick so please stop trying to turn him into one here. All he said was that he found the performance weak and feeble and next to Nelis' Anton, he was. I always took it as a character choice but you guys are making it sound like Brian said he's glad Roger is sick. 

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#56Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 2:58pm

doesn't matter. you got the point - glass houses.

Jordan Catalano
#57Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 2:59pm

Glass houses?

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#58Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 3:07pm

"People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

Jordan Catalano
#59Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 3:12pm

No, I know that but what glass house do I live in?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#60Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 3:20pm

There's really nothing like a bucketful of self-righteousness on a sunny Friday, is there?

Don't let 'em get you down, Brian. Public shaming is still very in, but it's going out, I think.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#61Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 3:26pm

haha, it seems newintown doesn't know much about the headache.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#62Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 3:28pm

"No, I know that but what glass house do I live in"

The Javits Center?

no, seriously, you know I was talking to Liza's, right?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#63Roger Rees has departed The Visit

I was writing to Brian, Janie, not the Headband.

Kimbo
#64Roger Rees has departed The Visit

"We are discussing a performer. We're discussing the unfortunate condition he is in that required him to leave a show early. There is nothing about the rules on this website that claim we can ONLY discuss a performer's performance and nitpick, and really, the fact that the news of his having to leave due to illness only prompted you to discuss how bad he was in the role is kind of gross. "

This.  Well said.

Liza's Headband
#65Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 3:31pm

jane. I apologized after the fact. You would know if you actually read the posts in this thread. Nice try, though.  I would also suggest that what I did was out of ignorance, not lack of empathy or sensitivity. To each his own. 

Also, Jordan, I am not sure if anyone is trying to make Brian out to be a dick. He's succeeding just fine without others' help. I also don't see anyone in this thread suggesting that he is somehow happy or pleased with Roger being ill. They're just asking for him to show a little tactfulness and civility by tempering his negative remarks at this time. I think it's pretty reasonable to ask for some respect, no? 

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#66Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 3:32pm

"I was writing to Brian, Janie, not the Headband."

I thought you were referring to me. oy, can't keep track here, sometimes.

Liza's Headband
#67Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 3:34pm

You also cannot read what is written, it seems. 

I apologized not once but twice even after the post, which I fully admit was a mistake, was deleted. Stop obsessing. Move on. 

Jordan Catalano
#68Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 3:34pm

Sorry, Jane! I didn't even see that written above. This is a confusing thread. lol

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#69Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 3:37pm

"Since that post was deleted quickly thereafter and no longer exists, your question is trivial and unnecessary within the scope of this conversation. "

No, Jane's question was apt. If you had a shred of human decency, you would have taken her question as a cue to absent yourself from making further comments in this thread or on this topic.

You are the LAST person to lecture anyone on this board about anything.

Your deleted post was monstrously insensitive and inappropriate.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#70Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 3:38pm

He's such a great actor. Nicholas Nickleby is one of my favorite series, and he is so great in it. I also thought that he was truly wonderful in The Visit, giving a bizarre and feeble performance that contrasted with the harsh nature of the musical. I hope that what ever he is dealing with right now he can overcome and that he is able to return to proper health. Wishing him and his family all the best.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#71Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 3:44pm

"I apologized not once but twice even after the post, which I fully admit was a mistake, was deleted. Stop obsessing. Move on."

And why would you think I'm obsessed? Because I wrote you a post calling you out?

I moved on. I'm doing some drawing, taking care of my baby, watching tv, balancing my checkbook, and posting elsewhere.

PJ=the voice of reason.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#72Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 8:09pm

The role Rees played was of a man broken down over the years by many things including what he did to Chita. It is not supposed to be a happy go lucky role. His acting was superb. He was never known for his voice.

Wishing him well and a speedy recovery and a quick return to the stage.

Poster Emeritus

Comden Green Profile Photo
Comden Green
#73Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 9:16pm

No, Jane's question was apt. If you had a shred of human decency.....

Come on.  This cliche is not appropriate here.   Hyperbolic.   I suspect there is more than a "shred".   

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#74Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 10:02pm

Historical note: I happened to see Mr. Rees play John Adams in 1776 on the Friday evening after 9/11. He began the show with a brief curtain speech about the ideals of the characters in the play and what they meant to him (as a Brit) in the context of that terrible week.

There wasn't a dry eye in the house.

He then went on to be the best John Adams since William Daniels.

I don't need to know what ails him to wish him nothing but the best!