pixeltracker

Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?- Page 5

Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#100Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 7:26pm

Deaf West's Big River was what led me to take two semesters of ASL, so I'm really looking forward to this. I'm sure it's at least going to be less weird than the Spring Awakening I saw in Sydney, Australia where Moritz drew on himself with sharpie before he ended it all.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#101Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 7:55pm

Whaaaat???

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

PepperedShepherd Profile Photo
PepperedShepherd
#102Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 9:38pm

Sad to see casting notices go up for Melchior (hearing), Wendla (both deaf & hearing), Moritz (deaf & hearing), and Ilse (hearing).

Although I understand the situation with Krysta, the others were all incredible and had, as far as I know, been part of the production since its inception & initial run last September.  It would be a shame if they couldn't continue.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#103Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 9:41pm

Is there a reason they have to audition for these characters on a technicality -- like in case the contracts are still in negotiations?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

RW3
#104Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 9:46pm

Personally, this was completely out of the blue. But, I'm not mad about it. In addition, it is quite interesting that two of the youngest revivals of musicals (possibly) could be nominated for Best Musical Revival.

LightsOut90
#105Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 10:07pm

No surprise Davenport is lead producing this, if you have money, don't invest this is gonna be A BUST. Cant wait for tweet seat night and whatever other tacky ideas he has for this one. 

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#106Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/2/15 at 1:50am

"It is quite interesting that two of the youngest revivals of musicals (possibly) could be nominated for Best Musical Revival."

Are you talking about Fiddler as well? I can't for the life of me think of another revival that just happened.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#107Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/2/15 at 2:13am

I suspect they're referencing The Color Purple revival as being the other "young" show being revived.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#108Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/2/15 at 3:54am

what an amazing season for revivals of musicals, and musicals in general!

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#109Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/2/15 at 6:12am

I'm not a big fan of the show, but this production is lovely... now I hope they'll cast someone more age appropriated than Andy Mientus and Krista Rodriguez. 

Jace2017
#110Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/2/15 at 7:58am

I actually thought most of the Deaf West cast looked older than the roles they were portraying. Most of the OBC and replacements were older than the parts they were playing but to me they appeared younger.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#111Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/2/15 at 10:33am

The casting breakdown may also just be a way to generate early publicity.  They have as of now no theatre or dates announced, though are saying rehearsals will start in early August (which is most ambitious!).  I imagine many from the LA production would continue.  

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

NewsiesForever Profile Photo
NewsiesForever
#112Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/2/15 at 10:40am

"I'm not a big fan of the show, but this production is lovely... now I hope they'll cast someone more age appropriated than Andy Mientus and Krista Rodriguez. "

Is Andy Mientus going to be apart of the broadway cast?

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#113Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/2/15 at 10:56am

He is in rehearsals for BENT at CTG in Los Angeles, which runs through the end of the August.  The breakdown for Spring Awakening says the production starts rehearsals in NYC in August.  Andy is partners with the show's director (and actually co-directed the workshop production with Michael Arden) so it seems likely he would be involved in some way, no?

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Videos