pixeltracker

Stratford and Shaw Festivals of Canada

Stratford and Shaw Festivals of Canada

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#1Stratford and Shaw Festivals of Canada
Posted: 6/2/15 at 11:57pm

Hello all,

I haven't been very active on the board as of late what with school, etc. (I just graduated from college). Anyway, this past week, I took a trip up to Ontario to visit the Stratford and Shaw Festivals for the first time, and I'm happy to report back that it was a splendid trip with incredible theatre! I saw 6 shows at Stratford (Pericles, She Stoops to Conquer, The Taming of the Shrew, Carousel, The Sound of Music, and Hamlet) and 2 at Shaw (Peter and the Starcatcher and Pygmalion).

The best show of the week was Sound of Music. It was a big, traditional musical production of a classic. The brilliant production was led by a glorious Stephanie Rothenberg. This girl needs to star on Broadway, stat! (she was an understudy and eventual replacement in the Radcliffe H2$ revival.) She was a perfect Maria for a marvelous production. The dud at Stratford was Shrew. It was fine overall but didn't do a whole lot for me. I saw a better-acted production earlier this year at the ASC in VA.

Starcatcher at Shaw was excellent. It was brilliant storytelling. I didn't see either NY production, but it seems that it was a pretty faithful recreation of that storytelling magic. Pygmalion was a dud there. Granted, I saw the first preview, but the setting of the show in modern day London proved to be a bit awkward, and it was overly preachy I thought.

Anyway, just thought I'd report back and recommend a trip up to Canada if you get the chance and also solicit opinions on these festivals from anyone else who has visited.  

P.S.-I wasn't sure if this belonged in Off-Topic or not, since it is theater-related. I'm happy to move it there if need be. :)

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#2Stratford and Shaw Festivals of Canada
Posted: 6/3/15 at 12:36am

I have been going to both festivals since I was a child. My parents took me every year growing up, and I continue to go as an adult. I am actually taking my parents to Stratford for just a few days in July, and then I am going back to both Stratford and Shaw for two weeks in August. Oh, how I love it there. The two locations and theatre scenes are very different, and usually very complimentary to each other. If you go back to Shaw, go to the Trius winery restaurant .... it is amazing.

What did you think of She Stoops To Conquer? On my short first trip with my parents we are seeing Hamlet, Shrew, Anne Frank, Carousel, and Sound Of Music. We will also have two young teen girls with us. Would She Stoops To Conquer be a better choice than Shrew? Thanks

Updated On: 6/3/15 at 12:36 AM

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#2Stratford and Shaw Festivals of Canada
Posted: 6/3/15 at 12:36am

Updated On: 6/3/15 at 12:36 AM

Alan Henry Profile Photo
Alan Henry
#3Stratford and Shaw Festivals of Canada
Posted: 6/3/15 at 2:55am

Sounds like you had a great trip! Both festival put on great productions - with Stratford productions often rivaling the best Broadway tours/productions (they've even had Broadway transfers.)

I just saw Sound of Music and Carousel at Stratford myself and am hoping to head for Shaw soon.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#4Stratford and Shaw Festivals of Canada
Posted: 6/3/15 at 3:50am

Any details on Carousel?  Susan Schulman seems a good choice for director, so I'mcurious...

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#5Stratford and Shaw Festivals of Canada
Posted: 6/3/15 at 3:52am

Also nobody is interested in Sweet Charity at Shaw?? Is it getting bad reviews?  The behind the scenes video looked...  interesting.  I know Shaw has a rocky track record with musicals, and Morris Panych (who is a pretty big name here in Canada) is very hit and miss for me.

Updated On: 6/3/15 at 03:52 AM

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#6Stratford and Shaw Festivals of Canada
Posted: 7/13/15 at 1:07pm

We were on a road trip and had not intended to see theatre - but ending up seeing Pygmalion at Shaw and Sound of Music at Stratford.

I did not want to see Sound of Music.  I just wanted to see the theatre and environs.  But, we got there at 7 and there were $25 (Canadian) tickets and the ticket office was very nice - so we got them.  It is a thrust stage and directed so that everyone gets a good view.  We were in the corner of a balcony - but moved to front row balcony center at the interval.  From the first notes of the Nuns, I was enchanted.  Ben Carlson was a very human Captain.  Ms. Rothenberg's Maria was beyond excellent.  I found the children uneven - some a little wooden - the actors playing Max and Rolf were very good.  I found the Baroness less interesting - she was much more calculating and the Captain's attraction was inexplicable.  And as I age, "Climb Every Mountain" gets more and more thrilling.  They also included I Have Confidence and Something Good - are those now part of the "official" licensed version?  There were four men who acted as stagehands and ensemble - and had lots of great bits.

So, even if you've seen Sound of Music before - and even often - and you think you've seen it enough - well, you haven't.  We are very very glad we saw the show.

I was really intrigued by what I'd heard/read about Pygmalion.  So, when the fates aligned, we got tickets.  This is the first time I've seen Pygmalion - with most of my familiarity coming from My Fair Lady.  (I think I saw the older film Pygmalion mumbledy mumble years ago).  I really enjoyed the visuals - although the applause for the opening set change seemed a bit much - it was nice, but it wasn't THAT exciting.  Patrick McManus was an interesting Higgins. It took a bit to warm up to him, because he seemed much younger than I expected.  This Higgins was definitely in love with Eliza.  But, this time, Eliza is not as invested in Higgins - especially emotionally.  Harveen Sandhu was okay as Eliza - her accent wandered.  A real delight was Peter Krantz as Alfred Doolittle.  He owned every scene with bombast and wit.  The updating worked for us - the show felt natural and not "out of time".  It was a hit with us.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#7Stratford and Shaw Festivals of Canada
Posted: 7/13/15 at 1:37pm

Reginald Tresilian and I took a trip to both festivals "mumbledy mumble years ago." I would go again in a heartbeat.

But an updated Pygmalion? Hmmm...

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#8Stratford and Shaw Festivals of Canada
Posted: 7/13/15 at 1:58pm

Pal Joey - this Pygmalion is set in "today".  Higgins takes notes on an ipad - and he can also record audio.  He rides a bicycle and dresses frumpy - bike helmet included.  His mother is a fashion designer - so the "small talk" session is at her place of business.  She wears a long shirt with Shaw's picture.  And the end of the scene is hysterical.  Higgins' study is filled with video screens - and some books.  Prices of objects have been recalculated - and some references to social media.  Pickering has returned from Afghanistan, and he apparently was injured as one arm is immobile.  There are also video clips for scene changes - one is about the "new" class system in the UK - which my bride - who is a business school professor - says is an accurate depiction of the study's conclusions.  This Pygmalion is very conscious that it is about class distinctions.  I believe the Director stated Pygmalion is even more relevant today as the economic disparity is even greater than when Shaw penned the play.  Most of the script is Shaw - with just minor tweaks.  I did wonder about the permission from the Shaw estate to do what was done.  

The more I had thought about the "updating" - the more curious I got to see it.  

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#9Stratford and Shaw Festivals of Canada
Posted: 6/6/17 at 8:12am

I am flying high after seeing Me and My Girl at the Shaw festival this past weekend.  I haven't laughed so hard in such a long time.  I really loved everything about this production. The direction by Ashlie Corcoran is superb. There are so many clever choices made that you are surprised over and over again at what a good time you are having.  

The choreography by Parker Esse is reason enough to make the trip to see this.  It's a few days later and I am still doing the Lambeth Walk in my head.  I am just such a sucker for tap and there are so many wonderful numbers.  

All the performances were outstanding!  What a great ensemble.  Michael Therriault as Bill Snibson was so endearing!  Special shout out of thanks to Jay Turvey who's Parkchester had me in stitches several times.  Eloidie Gillett and Kyle Blair are supreme triple threats. Bravo to the entire ensemble!

The theater and sightlines were very comfortable.  Niagara on the Lake is such a lovely town.  I am already planning a return visit.  I will make sure I have additional time to make my way to the Stratford Festival for Guys and Dolls.

i am a huge City Center Encores! fan but they have their work cut for them to even think of coming close next season to topping this version of Me and My Girl.  I will be there anyway to cheer them on.

kevinr
#10Stratford and Shaw Festivals of Canada
Posted: 6/6/17 at 3:21pm

I saw Guys & Dolls in Stratford already this season and it is great!