pixeltracker

Stop dressing like crap!- Page 2

Stop dressing like crap!

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#25Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/28/15 at 10:20pm

This is New York. There is zero correlation between cost of clothing and its "acceptability" to someone like the idiot who wrote that article. 

Here is a $3000+ outfit including a pair of SLP jeans that are $850 at Barneys. Would this be acceptable to her? no.

Stop dressing like crap!

Margo319
#26Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/28/15 at 10:23pm

If you can afford tickets to a show (clearly a luxury item), you can afford a nice outfit.  Simple as that.  There should be a dress code, it's disgusting what people wear, especially in the summer.  Cargo shorts went out of style like 10 years ago, bros!  It's not a movie theater, dress accordingly.  

smidge
#27Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/28/15 at 10:24pm

Why would anyone go to the theatre and judge someone on the way they dress. You're supposed to be in a darkened theatre enjoying a show, not examining your fellow audience member's style. Believe me, you wouldn't want someone judging your appearance so why do it to others?

RaiseYouUp Profile Photo
RaiseYouUp
#28Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/28/15 at 10:28pm

"Why would anyone go to the theatre and judge someone on the way they dress. You're supposed to be in a darkened theatre enjoying a show, not examining your fellow audience member's style. Believe me, you wouldn't want someone judging your appearance so why do it to others?"

Thank you! I don't know about other people, but I do not go to the theatre because I want to see other people getting dressed up or because it's a place where I can dress up. I go to the theatre to be transported and because I love it more than anything. I don't care what anyone else is wearing (within reason).

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#29Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/28/15 at 10:29pm

Actually, if someone isn't going to point and laugh (and we all know most people aren't going to do that), I don't mind someone judging my outfit. I know it's going to happen, so why not bother to look more than halfway decent? Which is why I think before I dress. There's no shame in being presentable.

Besides, there's entering the theatre, intermission, and exiting the theatre. It's not entirely dark.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#30Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/28/15 at 10:32pm

The only time I had an issue with what people wore was when I saw How to Succeed in Business when it was starring Nick Jonas and the girl next to me has a shirt that lit up.

They gave her a cover because she was distracting.

Updated On: 7/28/15 at 10:32 PM

BwayFan832
#31Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/28/15 at 10:47pm

Since a lot of people here presumably see shows at the last minute, at least occasionally, via rush or lotto- do people have differing opinions on that? Should people be expected to dress up every time they attempt rush or lotto for a show?

I'm with those who say it really doesn't matter, as long as you're not dressed like a complete slob.

Updated On: 7/28/15 at 10:47 PM

Margo319
#32Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/28/15 at 10:50pm

"There's no shame in being presentable."

Thank you.  Some people actually take pride in their appearance!  I wear a dress, always.  It's the theater, dress accordingly.  

LizzieCurry
#33Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/28/15 at 10:57pm

Generally I assume the more casual dressers are the ones who ran up to TKTS at the last minute or won lotto. Which is why there should be some leeway. 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#34Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/28/15 at 10:58pm

lol that was probably a school group or something

I wear casual clothing to the theatre. I look cute though Stop dressing like crap!

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#35Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/28/15 at 10:58pm

I've always found the dress code thing interesting, because where I live (which is Houston) I can't think of a time, save Disney or kids shows, where I went to see a musical or ballet or whatever and most of the people there weren't dressed up. (And even at the Disney shows, apart from Disney Princess costumes, a lot of parents had clearly dressed their kids up for the occasion.) However, the few times I've been to New York, seeing shows has always been a sort of mixed bag when it comes to dress code, because half the audience will be wearing dresses and slacks/suits, and the other half will be dressed in regular old street clothes. I'm not necessarily saying either one is good or bad (I mostly dress up for the theatre because I think it's fun), but it's just something interesting that I've noticed and wondered whether it carries on to other more minor cities where shows tend to play and stop at.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

smidge
#36Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:07pm

I agree with Lizzie, it doesn't hurt to try to look your best. I personally have never wore shorts or a T shirt to the theater. But I've never really have been cognizant of other's people's apparel at the theater. I think it would bother me more at a funeral or something like that. For my theatre trips, I usually travel by bus or train, and just for the day. And after walking around the city, I may not be 100 percent when I reach the theatre.

LizzieCurry
#37Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:07pm

I've mainly gone to evening shows in other cities, and a combination of matinees and evenings here -- but since tourism in NYC is unlike anywhere else, with people walking around all day or whatnot and not able to get back to their hotel and change, things seem a little more casual here more often (depending on the show, of course). 

Not much of a surprise here, but the most formally dressed crowd I've ever seen for a mainstream musical was for the Les Miz tour in Salt Lake City. People definitely don't dress as casually for shows in London, either, which is also touristy but with more forgiving weather.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#38Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:19pm

The article is ridiculous, elitist and idiotic. I don't see why anyone should dress any differently to go to a movie than to see a show. Someone would look more out of place dressed to the nines at the Lortel or Second Stage than if they were wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

I wore shorts to a Broadway show this evening and I plan on wear shorts tomorrow night as well. I'd bet that 90% of the audience tonight was comprised of tourists in outfits that I'm sure would simply horrify Vincentelli. Yet, not a SINGLE cell phone went off the entire performance and I noticed the light from neither a texter nor tweeter. The behavior is what's important, not the clothing. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

asmith0307
#39Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:23pm

I personally come from work most of the time when I go and see a show, and in theatrical offices, a large number of us wear jeans and nicer tops (I usually rock the blouse/cardigan combo). Since I get off work a 6, it is impossible to run home and change for a 7:00 curtain (or sometimes even an 8 if the MTA is feeling particularly helpful). Yet, the fact that I am wearing appropriate attire for work seems to be lost on a few patrons now and then when I sit next to them in the orchestra and they are wearing the dresses and spanks. 

However, when I go home and see a show with my parents (I too am from Houston), or even if I go back to the Chicago/Indy area where I did my undergrad, you can bet your butt I dress up a little more (usually I swap the jeans for slacks and the cardigan for a blazer - very rarely do a wear a dress). 

For some people, Broadway is their first theatre experience because "it's the thing to do" and they just might not realize that it ISN'T like a movie theater.

VintageSnarker
#40Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:28pm

As for footwear for women, I don't think anyone should be obligated to hobble around in heels if they don't want to. As stated a lot of people are walking around all day or coming from work. I met a very nice girl at Carnegie Hall once who had injured herself so she was forced to wear sneakers to the show.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#41Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:44pm

Echoing what has been said. This is article is classist. Plain and simple. When I'm in the city, I'm in from out of town. Frequently, I've just gotten off an airplane and a 2.5 hour flight. On a plane, I want to be as comfy possible, so that means I'm in jeans and sneakers. As others have said, I'm not trying to impress anyone. My clothes are clean, I'm clean, and honestly, I don't give a fig if someone on stage thinks I should have on heels instead of converse.

But I imagine that most performers want theater to be accessible and seen as acceptable.  Most have a very "come as you are attitude." That means you don't need to wear 3 piece suit to a Wednesday night show.

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#42Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:55pm

I wish I could remember what theatre it was but last summer the older guy at the box office actually asked me "wore your nicest pair of shorts?"  I smiled and replied of course I did.  I found it quite amusing and I wasn't wearing ripped or dirty shorts or anything of that nature. 

Updated On: 7/28/15 at 11:55 PM

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#43Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 12:45am

It's gotten to the point where we're more likely to ridicule those attending shows dressed like they're going to a semi-formal dance.  I see this a lot with out-of-town high schoolers on group trips making a point to dress their best.  It may not be often they get to catch a show.  I applaud their efforts to make it a memorable night of theater.

Showface
#44Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 12:55am

Isn't this article by the same lady who wrote "Into the Woods is an overrated musical and we want it gone"?

ChiTheaterFan
#45Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 12:57am

When I went to the King and I a few weeks back I noticed people were much more dressy. Is this a Lincoln Center thing?

I had only been to one show there previously--war horse--and I seem to recall it being fairly dressy as well.  

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#46Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 1:07am

When I lived in New York, I wore shorts to the theater all the time. 

Interestingly enough, since moving to Orlando, I've found that the audiences here tend to be a lot dressier than in NY. Whenever we go to see one of the touring shows, everyone is dressed up. I wouldn't dream of wearing anything more casual than slacks and a button down when we go there.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#47Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 1:24am

adam, I think the regions dress up more than people here do and i think LCT is more of a regional theatre than most. But we are also talking about two separate things-New yorkers and tourists. That pic with the article is of tourists, which is kinda funny since they have even less chance of seeing what she writes than newyorkers and not many people read the post theatre coverage to begin with. New Yorkers who go to the theatre don't wear cargo shorts and don't wear sports gear. But they do wear shorts and tshirts (with or without rips). I'll take the typical crowd in the lobby of the Public any day and i would also note that it is making better theatre day in and day out than anyone else. 

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#48Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 2:48am

Maybe the people worried about what audience members are wearing should face a little more towards the STAGE.  That's what you're meant to be looking at really.

And theatres stopped being temples in Ancient Greece- they're just big halls where people gather.  Like a supermarket.  If you feel the need to dress up to go to the mall then go for it, but I'll just wear something comfortable- I'm not taking part in a beauty pageant when I go to the shops, hustings, airport, lecture or theatre

bwaychae5192 Profile Photo
bwaychae5192
#49Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 3:12am

People definitely tend to be a bit more dressed up for evening shows in general.

And it's true that people get really dressed up for regional theatre. Heck, even the students at my university typically dress a little nicer when they see the productions on our campus. (And I've had people visit my campus and tell me to my face that the majority of the students on campus "look like crap all the time" during any given campus day)

However, I feel that looking presentable in public is just something one should strive for regardless. I see it more as a sign of respect to yourself and to others that you want to look your best for the event because it's important to you. That doesn't necessarily mean dressing to the nines for every show you attend. As long as you don't look like you just crawled out of bed or something, it's fine. 

Every living soul has got a voice - you've got to give it room and let it sing.