pixeltracker

American Horror Story: Hotel- Page 11

American Horror Story: Hotel

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#250American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 1/9/16 at 7:13pm

I think there was a moment when Ryan Murphy switched his central demographic appeal from "shooting for a straight audience" to "shooting for a queer audience," which was a brave and ballsy move even in the 2010s. However, it seems he then got a little confused and moved from "shooting for a queer audience" to "shooting for myself as the target audience" and the show has become strangely naval-gazing in its laser focus on Ryan Murphy Appeal, "sexual prototypes" and all. 

I was introduced on Reddit this past week to the term "autistic art," a reference not to the autism spectrum but to the excessive presence of elements that indicate the heavy hand of an auteur who has overstepped their bounds and put too much of themselves and their quirks and tastes into their own work. Late seasons of American Horror Story, the Star Wars prequel trilogy, Tim Burton's new-millennium films, etc.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#251American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 1/9/16 at 11:56pm

Eric You are right. My error . Vampires were on Hotel.

Poster Emeritus

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#252American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 1/14/16 at 10:30am

I'm telling you, one hasn't lived until one gets to watch ghosts and an unvampire argue about stocks and property!

FindingNamo
#253American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 1/14/16 at 10:41am

I feel like in the first season of AHS he said he wanted to explode the very notion of the nuclear family.  Since then he wants to antagonize gay viewers with some version of tough love that doesn't work.  But now that I type that out, I think maybe he thinks he's some videographer Larry Kramer.  

I liked this season just fine, I mean, what did it end up being really but an explicitly violent Addams Family.  But stretching it out by skipping weeks of airings is deadly for the show.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#254American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 1/14/16 at 11:21am

EricMontreal22 said:

Has everyone just given up on this?  HuffPost has a piece that pretty much says, in a lot of words, what everyone knows about this show.  But I did like this bit:  "With writing that comes across like Sesame Street for horror fans, O'Hare explains to Kathy Bates, who must be kicking herself for taking on such a silly role, that he simply knew at a young age he wanted to be a she.

Great, until the next time we see her and she's in love with a man. Every year the AHS writing gets even more unhinged, so it's no real surprise that they switch plotlines like the actors switch roles, but that kind of disregard to detail is an affront to writers, not to mention a blow to anyone trying to understand what being transgender means. "

It's kinda amazing to see how the writers have even a shorter attention span than the Millennials they mock for having a short attention span. Every moment of the show exists in its own weird universe with no relation to the next moment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-toussaint/american-horror-storys-bl_b_8912210.html?utm_hp_ref=gay-voices&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000050

"

I don't understand this criticism. O'Hare's character being transgender has nothing to do with him liking men or women. How is that a "disregard to detail" of the plot? Is the HuffPo author really saying that a transgender person cannot be attracted to someone of the same sex they were before transition?

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#255American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 1/14/16 at 11:28am

I guess maybe the criticism was that there was no suggestion she was into men before that,?  That's just a guess, though.

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#256American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 1/14/16 at 11:55am

Okay... even I have to admit, that was one disappointing, piss poor finale.

I enjoyed most of the season, but it just seemed to peter out towards the end.

Updated On: 1/14/16 at 11:55 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#257American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 1/14/16 at 11:59am

Yeah, the end of the first episode. 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#258American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 1/14/16 at 12:28pm

Did my DVR cut out early?  Was that scene with Gaga in the bar talking to that guy really the final scene ?

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 1/14/16 at 12:28 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#259American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 1/14/16 at 1:04pm

LOL.  I thought the same thing.  I think it was her flat delivery that made it seem fuzzy.  

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#260American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 1/14/16 at 1:07pm

These non endings really drive me crazy.  They are so lazy.  They need to respect us a little better.   

FindingNamo
#261American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 1/14/16 at 3:45pm

But.  It's the thing about this show.  The last scene was a mirror of her first scene.  They are trapped in a cycle that will just keep repeating.  Like when the Farmargia girl would run out of murder house only to find herself back in murder house.

Apparently being trapped in a repetitive cycle is the entire theme of the show.

I prefer last night's ending to a crazed gunman walking around shooting everybody in the side show because time is running out on the last episode.

Updated On: 1/14/16 at 03:45 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#262American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 1/14/16 at 4:35pm

"I prefer last night's ending to a crazed gunman walking around shooting everybody in the side show because time is running out on the last episode."

Agreed.  But if the ending of a show just leaves you wondering if your DVR cut the show short... then there is something wrong. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#263American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 1/14/16 at 8:25pm

WTF

Poster Emeritus

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#264American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 1/15/16 at 6:35pm

Cape Twirl of Doom said: "EricMontreal22 said:

Has everyone just given up on this?  HuffPost has a piece that pretty much says, in a lot of words, what everyone knows about this show.  But I did like this bit:  "With writing that comes across like Sesame Street for horror fans, O'Hare explains to Kathy Bates, who must be kicking herself for taking on such a silly role, that he simply knew at a young age he wanted to be a she.

Great, until the next time we see her and she's in love with a man. Every year the AHS writing gets even more unhinged, so it's no real surprise that they switch plotlines like the actors switch roles, but that kind of disregard to detail is an affront to writers, not to mention a blow to anyone trying to understand what being transgender means. "

It's kinda amazing to see how the writers have even a shorter attention span than the Millennials they mock for having a short attention span. Every moment of the show exists in its own weird universe with no relation to the next moment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-toussaint/american-horror-storys-bl_b_8912210.html?utm_hp_ref=gay-voices&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000050

"

I don't understand this criticism. O'Hare's character being transgender has nothing to do with him liking men or women. How is that a "disregard to detail" of the plot? Is the HuffPo author really saying that a transgender person cannot be attracted to someone of the same sex they were before transition?

"

Because Liz explicitly lectured Iris that she was not gay as a man and it wasn't about her sexual orientation.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#265American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 1/15/16 at 7:40pm

AHS needs to be euthanized A.S.A.P. for the good of all.

Poster Emeritus

FindingNamo
#266American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 1/16/16 at 12:54am

From the Vulture finale recap:

It's fitting that the season ends on the Countess in that stunning blue gown, with her hair so 1950s-perfect, luring another adorable man into her deadly web. This was Gaga's season — and yes, I think she deserved that award. She was consistently the most interesting thing in the Cortez, from her drop-dead ensembles to her bored demeanor, which showed just the right amount of menace trickling below the surface. She was a fascinating actor to watch, and it's a shame she isn't given more to do in this finale. Her last witty rejoinder, "You have a jawline for days," is the perfect end to a well-crafted season that felt far less scattershot and arbitrary than its immediate predecessors. It's just too bad the rest of the finale didn't have the same spark.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#267American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 1/16/16 at 1:38am

I wish I'd seen that performance!

Videos